FA Cup 09/10 Thread

Crybaby Bunting

Pompey or Fulham to get to the final, please. Not Spurs. :shifty:

Now that I think about it, it was probably better than Chelsea drew Villa in the Semis anyway - because at least I'll be able to attend that one. Should we make the final, I look forward with cynical humour to the FA's usual trick of "Here's a 90,000 seater stadium - have about 22,000 tickets so that not even all your season ticket holders can attend, let alone anyone else! WE NEED THOSE SEATS FOR OUR CORPORATE DRINKING BUDDIES". ¬_¬

The argument about basing it on the qualifying games is double edged though. You can't say take every player that has done good over the previous 2 years to the world cup based just on that, if their recent form has not been good, between the World Cup and the end of qualifying there is 7 to 8 months. This period should define, or at least back up your calim for an England place, not what you did 18 months ago or a year ago. In that case Walcott is a shoe in and Joe Cole has to be on that plane to South Africa because of his performances in the early games. Heskey scored one and got three assists in the qualifying campaign, hardly a stellar record for a striker. On top of that his club form is inconsistent and not good enough to be taken over Carlton Cole a player who can do a similar job to Heskey, and in my opinion has a better eye for goal and a slightly better touch than Heskey

Heskey's job isn't to score, or even directly assist, goals for England in the way Capello has us set up. He's there to bully the defence and occupy them so Gerrard, Rooney and Barry (sometimes Lampard) can work the ball between them on the left, dragging the defence over so Johnson and Lennon (or Walcott/SWP) have a load of space to attack into. Crouch can't do the same job, and I've never seen Cole bully the defence in the same way - especially at international level. That's why Heskey will go to the World Cup unless he's injured.

• Like 1

Unfortunately his main skill is simply "Will I go left or right? Left? Right? Left? Ri - oh damn, you guessed correctly. Kudos, Mr. Defender. I probably should have just stopped faffing about and crossed, huh?" <_<

Joe Cole has done virtually nothing this season to put him in contention. I can recall one really good cross from the byline to setup a goal, but that's about all.

• Like 1

Given that I am denied my preferred Chelsea/Villa final, a Chelsea/Pompey final would be my second choice.

So the media can get all romantic about the possibility of Pompey winning the trophy amidst their dire circumstances...and Chelsea can provide the crushing blow of reality. :pervert:

But you could do that against us! Have the whole 'wow, awesome turnaround, from relegation fodder to FA Cup finalists, and facing their local rivals, OMG WOWZ', and then you could beat us.

I'm more gutted because I can't go to any potential semi-final, so would need a final for the trip to Wembley.

I don't know how Fulham would go about distributing their Final tickets, but I'd be pissed if you could go to the Final and I couldn't due to the aforementioned corporate ticket bullshittery.

Hopefully at the Semi I won't be quite at the very back of the stadium (as in, able to bang the back of my head against the concrete wall behind me) like I was for Chelsea v Arsenal last year.

• 3 weeks later...

Fulham are one of those teams that I would have thought every neutral would prefer over Redknapp and Spurs. Still think Spurs will win the match though. I've got money on Zamora to score so as long as that happens I'm not too fussed.

It's not too long ago that that would have been an absolutely retarded bet.