PS3 games that are worth a try?

Liam

Got £50 or so's worth of CEX vouchers, and all of next week off. Basically, outside of the obvious choices, was wondering if there were any less obvious games which were worth a little bit of time and a little bit of money. I know it is for the Wii, but I played Disaster: Day Of Crisis recently, and that was fairly average, but fun enough for the time I played it, and that's kinda what I'm looking for. Most of the bigger/better games I've played.

So yeah, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hmmmm, looking at the games I own....

The games I have that are fun and worth a go and aren't the "big" obvious ones are:

Mirror's Edge

Wet

Bladestorm

Farcry 2

Heavenly Sword (which WAS a big name ut isn't now but well worth some frenzied hack n slash fun...And it's still breathtaking...)

• Like 1

The games I have that are fun and worth a go and aren't the "big" obvious ones are:

Mirror's Edge

Wet

Bladestorm

Farcry 2

Heavenly Sword (which WAS a big name ut isn't now but well worth some frenzied hack n slash fun...And it's still breathtaking...)

Definetely Bladestorm an awesome game that will last for ages.

Mirror's Edge

Don´t spend youd 50 on that though. I got it new and sealed for 10€ at play.com... - If you are going for fullprice Katamari Forever should be on the shelves pritty soon, don´t know the Date but the Demo is already on PSN for a while.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane
  • Like 1

If you don't already own it I really recommend Dirt 2. Don't know if that is up there with the "obvious", but I really enjoy the life out of this game. I don't know how much of a football/soccer fan you are but the new FIFA game is meant to be pretty good, if not a football fan I would say as another alternative you try to check out Infamous, which I also played till the cd disintegrated into my PS3 :lol:

Hammy, how good IS Wet? I've looked at it and "uhm'ed" and "ah'ed" for the last couple of weeks, it looks cool, but I've been fooled by stylish games before.

Have you played the demo? I've only played the demo myself, but it just doesn't really stand out from any of the other 3rd person shooter games that tie-in with gymnastic and bullet time stuff. The two way shooting thing is a good idea and overall good, but kinda makes things a bit easier, and the style is good too. One thing I found though was running through the few small corridors was really awkward.

As I said though, I don't know how it'd feel over the full length of the game.

Bear in mind that the game I ended up getting was in lousy Japanese so I'm missing some story stuff (but that's only secondary anyway)....

It is a third person shooty bullet time fest that is sometimes clumsy BUTTTTT it's the presentation. The surf punk music is brilliant, the grainy filter looks lush, the vibe throughout is great and the main character is a pleasure to play as.

The dual gun targetting is a really nice touch and the sword play is simple but effective and if you slash a villain nicely it all slows down as they go flying through the air much like in the movie 300.

You feel untouchable enough but not totally unstoppable which is cool and it really tries with little touches and such like.

I'd say that, gameplay aside, it's worth getting purely for everything it tries in its' presentation and evolution of the media...And the blurring of the lines between movie and videogame.

Not wanting to be too cynical but the demo felt like a fairly standard Max Payne/that Chow Yun Fat one-esque shooter with some Tarantino knockoff effects poured over the top. It may be too obvious, but why not just hang on for FIFA/Pro Evo (whichevers your poison) or Modern Warfare 2?

Not wanting to be too cynical but the demo felt like a fairly standard Max Payne/that Chow Yun Fat one-esque shooter with some Tarantino knockoff effects poured over the top. It may be too obvious, but why not just hang on for FIFA/Pro Evo (whichevers your poison) or Modern Warfare 2?

I'll probably be picking those up anyway, it was more because I was looking at the CEX website, and you have a lot of PS3 games going for £8-£15 quid, and was just wondering if there was something I'd missed out on, or a game that was fairly fun, if not technically amazing.

Stokerina rented Wet for a week and just went out and bought it (£30) today. She's a big fan of the Uncharted/Mirrors Edge/similar type of gameplay and, although she says it's not as good as Uncharted, she finds it to be very fun in a bit more hacky-slashy completely-shameless-in-its-channeling-the-spirit-of-Kill-Bill kind of way.

I for one was more amused to hear Eliza Dushku spouting all the cheesy badass-fem-lead lines of the main character. Type-cast, much? :shifty: