Formula One 2010

Lineker

Great yet again from Hamilton, loving it. Cant speak for others, but he just boosts my interest in F1 so much. Hopefully the good form continues :wub:

Because he acts like a fucking arsehole?

I find it amazing they have a driver meeting about him being a fuckwit, and then he continues to be so... Good work Hamilton, you are so mighty cool.

• Like 1

Great yet again from Hamilton, loving it. Cant speak for others, but he just boosts my interest in F1 so much. Hopefully the good form continues :wub:

I find it amazing they have a driver meeting about him being a fuckwit, and then he continues to be so... Good work Hamilton, you are so mighty cool.

No, because for me he's the most entertaining thing in F1 since...well, forever. It's a personal preference. Before Hamilton, I had barely any interest in it all. Yet nine times out of ten, this guy brings the entertainment for me. Funnily enough F1 has taken a huge step forward over the last few years as well in those terms.

Ahhh Button I love you so.

Let me number the ways....

1) You grow facial fuzz all the time.

2) You're called Jenson.

3) You have the best tactical awareness of pretty much the whole grid.

4) Your career progression has been steady and it hasn't gone to your head.

5) You don't try to overtake people in the pit lane.

6) You is a handsome man.

:wub:

• Like 1

Hamilton is a knob. But at the same time you just can't argue that he is a phenomenal talent.

I agree

Using another sport star as an example, I fucking detest Cristiano Ronaldo, but freely admit he's in the top 3 players in the world, but he is somebody I would quite happily shank with a rusty knife.

Its the same with Hamilton and Vettel, I don't like their personalities, but they are extremely talented at what they do.

I must say I get satisfaction at race weekends at the minute where Vettel gets pole, does his "Number one fist pump" then fails to deliver in the race. Everytime I think "Whatever Sebastian, you're quick over a single lap, but you can't do it consistently over 50/60 laps every race, so its of little consequence" Its funny because my dislike for Vettel almost mirrors my dad's dislike for Michael Schumacher.

No, because for me he's the most entertaining thing in F1 since...well, forever. It's a personal preference. Before Hamilton, I had barely any interest in it all. Yet nine times out of ten, this guy brings the entertainment for me. Funnily enough F1 has taken a huge step forward over the last few years as well in those terms.

You have obviously not watched the Formula One of the late 1980's then?

Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost and Nigel Mansell :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

FOTA have narrowed their choice of tyre supplier for next year down to Michelin or Cooper Avon.

Silverstone have officially opened the "Arena" track layour (picture). Red Bull have already come out and said that they will have the advantage over the McLaren's there. The track is now supposedly the fastest in the world, taking over from Monza. Also, the new pits are 'on target' to be ready for the 2011 race (picture). Here's what David Coulthard said after being the first driver to complete six laps:

"It's typical Silverstone," said Coulthard, who completed six laps of the new Arena circuit that will host this year's British Grand Prix.

"I've loved every Silverstone, even the fiddly complex, because it is as close as you get to an amphitheatre in British motorsport other than Brands Hatch. With all the grandstands and the BRDC centre, you got to show the crowd the cars for a while.

"It's Silverstone, this is this place for the British Grand Prix, and as much as I enjoyed racing at Donington when I was younger, I just think we are so used to coming to this area and celebrating in July,

"It might take us a step closer to good racing. It's always difficult to tell until you really drive a proper line at speed. But the corner out of Club, the Abbey kink, and the kink out of Aintree might be the areas, where if they are not flat, drivers can make a mistake and someone can get in their slipstream.

"Otherwise it's the same, the start finish straight is the same, Copse is the usual mighty corner - a real opener that you drive right on the edge.

"Club is now a very defined double apex. Before it just had one apex but now there is one apex, and then another one. So in the damp you can imagine someone having a bit of a wobble there.

"When you come out of The Loop there is another little kink [at Aintree Corner] and I'm hoping that won't be flat. If it is flat then it does nothing, but if it isn't then maybe someone can get a run down in to the braking area at Brooklands.

"It is a very wide entry there and F1 car's take a narrower line than a touring car or whatever, just because of the nature of the cars. But if you did make a mistake there then that could also lead to overtaking.

"Otherwise it's the same. There has been a small realignment at Maggots, but nothing major. Abbey is now a very fast corner. I think Village is more likely to be a spectator area than a spectator zone."

C'mon, I need my grand prix fix.... how many days till Spain??

I love that Mansell clip. It was back when I used to watch F1 with my Dad when I was about 5!. If I remember rightly Mansell got fined for that (not that it mattered) but I thought it was a good bit of sportsmanship, sadly wouldn't happen today.

Is it any surprise we got so much more overtaking and exciting racing with those huge garden-roller tyres either!

• Admin

In an edit to my last post - despite FOTA apparently deciding to choose between the cheaper but unknown quantity of Avon or the more expensive but recently used Michelin; Pirelli have announced that they intend to put it to FOTA that they should supply tyres next year.

• Admin
Bernie Ecclestone's big dream of a Formula 1 race in New York could be closer to reality than many people thought after plans for an event in Jersey City emerged this week.

A proposal for a race in the 1,200-acre Liberty State Park from 2012 has been put together by the director of tourism for Destination Jersey City - with the possibility of it being turned into a night event.

1272965350.jpg

A document produced with outline plans for the event states: "With the incredible backdrop of the New York City skyline, selecting Jersey City for the 2012 Grand Prix Auto Race Circuit will not only boost ticket sales as the Grand Prix returns to the United States, but will [provide] striking television footage.

"To maximize the dramatic effect, Jersey City could possibly follow in Singapore's footsteps by holding the finals at night."

Organisers want the 'Jersey City' moniker in the name of the race, are seeking a five-year deal and a 3.6-mile track layout has already been sketched out.

Although F1 is keen for the sport to get back into the United States, the plans for the Jersey GP have not gone down well with everybody - with local campaigners Friends of Liberty State Park labelling the idea 'obscene' in a letter written to Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy.

Sam Pesin, head of the Friends' board of trustees, told local newspaper the Jersey Journal: "Once you have a track there, and especially with the state's finances, there would be such pressure on the state to have regular car racing there. You'd end up having the name changed from Liberty State Park to Liberty Race Track."

Mayor Healy has spoken to Pesin about the matter and issued a statement after their conversation saying: "This was a response to an overture made by Formula 1, and Jersey City is one of several cities they are pursuing. There have been a few, preliminary conversations and this is very much in the exploratory phase.

"However, this may not be something that is in the best interest of Jersey City or Liberty State Park."

The plans for the Jersey GP come a few weeks after there was fresh speculation Indianapolis could be poised to get F1 back, with former track boss Tony George present at the Chinese Grand Prix to discuss ideas.

I don't get why Formula 1 keeps wanting to target the American audience. It was a fragile market anyway considering the US doesn't take to sports not their own creation that much. Then came Indy 2005, where the market was - rightly - killed off due to Jean Todt sandbagging any changes to make that race safe just so Ferrari could get an easy 1, 2. I'd like them to look at new European GP's instead so they can at least get an audience. Like Russia, that sounds like a good idea.