Greatest Drummer Ever

JStarr

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve Vai :shifty: What he played Bongo's in Hot Chocolate.

I dunno, I find it hard to judge a drummer, plus I don't really know people in bands names, but from the first time I heard them I was impressed by The Who's drummer, and Joey Jordison is good too, shame that Slipknot have so many fucking drummers that he can rarely show it. I also like Dream Theater's drummer, but Dream Theater in general are just stunning.

Edited by YI

Btw, I feel ashamed to have not shown enough love to Sabbath's Bill Ward. While he was never huge on doing awesome fills, he's the drummer that all other hard rock drummers should be measured against. His work has always been solid, despite the various incarnations of the band.

I was also going to say Bill Ward. In my opinion, he was phenomenal, especially in the song "Rat Salad", I fucking love the drum solo he plays in that song.

Also, how about a little love for Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa? A pair of excellent Jazz drummers.

Casey Royer of the Adolescents (and lead singer of D.I. for the record) is another favorite of mine, he could play. Marc Bell aka Marky Ramone from Richard Hell and the Voidoids and The Ramones is another favorite of mine. He claimed to have played with his "fingers and wrists" while many other drummers in the punk scene played with their "shoulders and arms". I'm not a drummer so I'm not sure exactly what he was getting at with that.

Guest Locutus of Borg

Bill Kreutzmann and Mickey Hart (although he is considered percussionist) of the Grateful Dead. Hey, they didn't give them an entire song to themselves in just about every show because they sucked!

Also, Richie Hayward of Little Feat. When this man gets on a roll live, he goes all out. I mean, he's not nicknamed "The Octopus" for nothing. The ground literally rumbles under foot when he gets his turn to go solo.

Guest MuRd0K

Ringo Starr. Look at my sig. See him rockin out? He's awesome. He's got a good drum solo at "The End".

Ringo Starr wasn't even the best musician on the beatles (Don't want to start another Beatles argument, so I'll stop here)

I'm not very good recognizing good drummers, so I'll just say whatever my musican friends say:

Modest Mouse's

Ramones'

Interpol's

Pixies'

Not that order or anything, but when we are researching, this are the ones they have the most trouble with.

Verbal, Buddy Rich and Dave Weckl are about the two best jazz drummers you'll ever find. Much love to the DMB's Carter Beauford, as well.

Ringo's purely a product of The Beatles' legacy. He can play drums, but to call him a legend is to over-estimate the legacy of the Fab Four.

For the record:

Modest Mouse's drummer roster is Jeremiah Green (who left just before recording started), and now Benjamin Wiekel. Both are solid, but to call them the best is possibly stretching things.

The Ramones...Tommy Ramone, Richie Ramone, Marky Ramone...all very good punk drummers with a noticible style.

Interpol...Samuel Fogarino, also in that talented-but-not-the-greatest field.

Also, leave us not forget Matt Cameron during his Soundgarden era. He was the definition of a technical drummer thanks to his off-center fills and ability to handle both strange arrangements and odd time signatures.

Edited by The Midget