The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

Giants have been bumped off as the dominating football headline in New York. While the Giants have missed the playoffs the last 2 years the Jets have gone to two straight conference championships. No, that doesn't replace the Giants Super Bowl win but in a "what have you done for me lately" city like New York it matters. I like the Giants but this non-stop talk about the Jets from their fans and certain portions of the media is pretty funny. My team could put a full buffet table on the sidelines as long as they kept winning. Sanchez and Ryan do have the team going in the right direction. No one expected back to back championship games with a rookie coach/QB combo.

The Alosi stuff was just ridiculous. Every team does something similar. The Jets just got caught. ESPN showed clips showing the Jets being victims to similar stuff.

Giants have had their share of clowns over the years. They've had guys arrested in the Coughlin era for DUIs and stuff and this is before I even begin to talk about assholes like Tiki Barber.

I have no problem with anything Rex does. He's not going out there breaking the law. I like a coach who'll talk trash as long as he's backing it up on the field. Like it or not but two championship game appearances in two years is backing it up.

Serious question - if the Jets and their coach can do whatever they want as long as they keep winning, then why do you hate on Big Ben? He hasn't "broken any laws" like your boy Edwards did when he blew up the breathalyzer. Just curious.

Don't try putting words into my mouth. I said Sanchez was stupid. But there is no one saying that he broke a law. He's not being accused of rape here. We don't even have his side of the story yet but the girl here is acknowledging a mutual relationship. This is not a Roethlesberger situation. I said Rex Ryan can talk trash and have a buffet table on the sideline if he keeps winning.

And my boy Edwards? What the hell is that about?

Edited by sahyder1
  • Like 1

This is the second time Sanchez has exercised poor judgment when it comes to messing around with a teenage chick. He was arrested the last time, and he's just fortunate that the age of consent was on his side this time or he'd be considered a rapist of the statutory kind. A QB fucking around with young chicks he met in a bar is the same to me regardless of whether he plays for the Steelers or Jets.

This is the second time Sanchez has exercised poor judgment when it comes to messing around with a teenage chick. He was arrested the last time, and he's just fortunate that the age of consent was on his side this time or he'd be considered a rapist of the statutory kind. A QB fucking around with young chicks he met in a bar is the same to me regardless of whether he plays for the Steelers or Jets.

I really think your hatred for the Jets is blinding your views here though. Either the girl is of age....or she's not. If this was a rape accusation it'd be a different story. There's no "being fortunate". As for that first incident, wasn't the girl the same age he was? In the first instance didn't the girl's roommate say that she was also consensual? I don't remember the details of that case so if I'm wrong go ahead and correct me.

• Like 1

The fact that a grown man is fucking around with a 17 year old he met at a club means he's lucky because doing the very same thing would be illegal in another state. He's lucky that she was actually 17 and not 16 or younger. The guy is the face of the NEW YORK JETS, not some back up QB of a small market team. He should be able to meet girls that aren't juniors in high school. Please don't become the Jets version of Chase on this matter.

This is in no way as bad as what Big Ben did, but there is definite hypocrisy in sahyder saying it's ok for his players to show seriously poor judgement, drink and drive, and pick up high school girls as long as they win football games, while he mocks Chase for saying similar things. What's legal and what's right are two completely different things, and it is not right for a person in a prominent position such as Mark Sanchez to have a sexual relationship with a high school girl, even if the high school girl is cool with it. I'm sure millions of 14 year old girls would want to sleep with Mark Sanchez if given the opportunity, and I'm very sure you wouldn't be defending him then(Chase probably would :shifty: ) If he had done this in Arizona, where the age of consent is 18 and this would be statutory rape, would you still be defending Sanchez? Or do you think Arizona's law is too strict and unfair? Or do you believe 17 year old girls in New York are more capable of making decisions than 17 year old girls in Arizona?

Although to be fair to sahyder, I don't care in the slightest what part of his wife Rex Ryan is attracted to, and neither should anyone else and I don't know why that gets brought up as an attack.

• Like 1

This is in no way as bad as what Big Ben did, but there is definite hypocrisy in sahyder saying it's ok for his players to show seriously poor judgement, drink and drive, and pick up high school girls as long as they win football games, while he mocks Chase for saying similar things. What's legal and what's right are two completely different things, and it is not right for a person in a prominent position such as Mark Sanchez to have a sexual relationship with a high school girl, even if the high school girl is cool with it. I'm sure millions of 14 year old girls would want to sleep with Mark Sanchez if given the opportunity, and I'm very sure you wouldn't be defending him then(Chase probably would :shifty: ) If he had done this in Arizona, where the age of consent is 18 and this would be statutory rape, would you still be defending Sanchez? Or do you think Arizona's law is too strict and unfair? Or do you believe 17 year old girls in New York are more capable of making decisions than 17 year old girls in Arizona?

Although to be fair to sahyder, I don't care in the slightest what part of his wife Rex Ryan is attracted to, and neither should anyone else and I don't know why that gets brought up as an attack.

a) Sanchez is not my player. I am not a Jets fan. Or a Giants fan for that matter. I happen to live in the area and follow the media coverage of both teams.

b) I said it repeatedly, Sanchez was stupid. That doesn't make what he did illegal though. I didn't write the law. I don't agree with the law but it is the law. If he was being accused of rape here I would be harder on him but he that is not the case.

c) Where did I say it was ok for players to drink and drive?

I think this sums it up:

Sanchez a felon? No.

Sanchez rather creepy? Yes.

This.

Like I have said repeatedly, Sanchez was stupid. This could easily have been some money hungry girl who was in it for the money. Reading through the Deadspin article along with the NY Post and Business Insider it seems like she is from a really wealthy family. They were introduced to each other by a club promoter. The NY Post article mentions that this girl has been going to clubs with her mother since she was 15 but unless something ties her to Sanchez 2 years ago I don't see the need to pin that on Sanchez.

Edited by sahyder1
  • Like 1

I'm with Sahyder on this one, the idea of Sanchez, a 24 year old having a mutual relationship with a legal partner who happens to be 7 years younger then him and only 17 is a far different situation then Big Ben trapping a girl in a bathroom and being accused of raping her. There's a big difference between the two and if you don't think there is, if that was your little sister or daughter, you really would be just as pissed at Sanchez as Big Ben?

That being said, Giants fan who talk about Jets "judgments" come off across as being jealous of the success the Jets have had the last 2 years.

Just to hammer home a point <_<

96193482displayimage.jpgelimanningsuperbowlxlii.jpg

They are shit "judgements" though and they're just a highly unlikeable team. But, yeah I'll take a Lombardi by defeating arguably the greatest team ever with the greatest play in Superbowl history, than being pretentious pricks, who lost back to back Conference Championship games. The Jets can continue getting wildcard spots and losing before the big one, while Big Blue miss the playoffs despite being 10-6, it won't change Superbowl XLII!

• Like 1

What's right doesn't even come into it. What's legal does. And there's no "if it were another state he'd be busted" because it wasn't another state. It's not the same as Ben, I mean sure it's a grey area in terms of what age differences you might personally deem acceptable, but it's not like sexual assault which is definitely definitely not cool. I won't comment on any kind of precedent as I'm not familiar with the past incident.

And christ, I know the season's done now, but can we please come up with something more itneresting to dig up than Sean Payton moving to Dallas? I couldn't give lesss of a fuck where he lives as long as he does his job.

• Like 2

And christ, I know the season's done now, but can we please come up with something more itneresting to dig up than Sean Payton moving to Dallas? I couldn't give lesss of a fuck where he lives as long as he does his job.

I especially love that the Saints front office was "ok" with it. If they had said "No" would he have really given a rat's ass?

Greatest play in Super Bowl history ? For a Giants fan, maybe.

Considering the circumstances (the Pats at 18-0, being the 4th quarter, Eli all but sacked, the catch itself, it setting up the winning score) I'm hard pressed to think of another play as great as that. And I'm a Bronco fan.

Considering the circumstances (the Pats at 18-0, being the 4th quarter, Eli all but sacked, the catch itself, it setting up the winning score) I'm hard pressed to think of another play as great as that. And I'm a Bronco fan.

Harrison's INT return that completely turned that SB around.

Mike Jones' tackle on Dyson to win the Rams the SB was an amazing play.

Elways rumble to the end zone.

Montana's toss to Taylor to seal a 92yd drive and win the SB over the Bengals (dating myself there)

That's just off the top of my head. Sure, there's debate as to what each person thinks.

Harrison's INT return that completely turned that SB around.

Mike Jones' tackle on Dyson to win the Rams the SB was an amazing play.

Elways rumble to the end zone.

Montana's toss to Taylor to seal a 92yd drive and win the SB over the Bengals (dating myself there)

That's just off the top of my head. Sure, there's debate as to what each person thinks.

Dyson's tackle is a possibility, but that only prevented a tie. If the Rams could have lost there I would have given that a distinct edge over Manning to Tyree, Montana to Clark or Norwood's missed kick which are my top 3 in order. Harrison's INT came before the half and Pittsburgh was winning at the time, hardly the stuff of legend. Given that that one play prevented a perfect season that would have set the gold standard (it would have been 2 games better than the '72 Fins) and none of the other plays did it's really not much of an argument to me. That play is Buster Douglas knocking out Mike Tyson shock the world level value.

Edited by naiwf

Montana to Clark ? That was against the Cowboys.

I dunno, it just doesn't pop out to me when people say "best play in super bowl history" ... I mean, I'm not debating whether it was exciting or not, or whether it is an all time play. It's just when I read "greatest super bowl play in history" tossed out there like it was fact, I just disagreed.

Montana to Clark ? That was against the Cowboys.

I dunno, it just doesn't pop out to me when people say "best play in super bowl history" ... I mean, I'm not debating whether it was exciting or not, or whether it is an all time play. It's just when I read "greatest super bowl play in history" tossed out there like it was fact, I just disagreed.

I had "The Catch" on the brain, it was Montana to Taylor <_< Going back to my previous point, Mike Tyson getting knocked out by Buster Douglas isn't the greatest KO ever stylistically, but given the circumstances it's got more of a lasting impact.

I probably would put Manning to Tyree as #1 too. The way Eli got out of that pack to get the pass off was amazing.

In a post Katrina world New Orleans has a "us vs them" attitude. Can't say I blame them. A coach living elsewhere just adds an unnecessary fuel to the rumor mill. There's already talk of whether he is thinking of leaving the Saints.

Edited by sahyder1