The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

Is that the worst play by play ever for a spectacular play? Joe Buck would have jizzed himself if Ben had made that play and could barely muster an audible raise in his tone. Aikman saved it, but I can only imagine what my guy Gus Johnson would have done with something like that. HA HA!

Montana to Clark ? That was against the Cowboys.

I dunno, it just doesn't pop out to me when people say "best play in super bowl history" ... I mean, I'm not debating whether it was exciting or not, or whether it is an all time play. It's just when I read "greatest super bowl play in history" tossed out there like it was fact, I just disagreed.

I had "The Catch" on the brain, it was Montana to Taylor <_< Going back to my previous point, Mike Tyson getting knocked out by Buster Douglas isn't the greatest KO ever stylistically, but given the circumstances it's got more of a lasting impact.

Yeah, I just don't subscribe to that theory necessarily. I mean, take it out of the "situation" and where do you stack it ?

I mean the actual scramble by Eli was great, but the catch by Tyree was plain luck as much as it was anything he did. And while the Douglas knockout might be the most memorable and is certainly the most important in the last 30 years, it wasn't great by any means. That actually kind of illustrates my stance pretty well.

I don't lump "great" with "memorable" in terms of forming my opinion on the actual physical play. I mean, Marcus Allen's run was fucking great ... but they already had the game in hand. The run was still fucking great.

In short, you're a hater. Just like Joe Buck. Do you think the Immaculate Reception is overrated too? That was dumb luck, but still one of the greatest plays ever and you know it had to be good if I'm giving credit to a Steelers player :P

Edited by naiwf

Overrated ... eh, slightly ... but as far as Steelers go, I'd go with Swann's tip to himself falling over the Cowboy defender in the SB as the "greatest."

Eh, I qualify "great" differently ... that's pretty much it.

If we were talking about memorable I'd certainly have Tyree's catch further up my list. If it were a TD catch it'd be further up the list. It wasn't though, and there were plays after it that ultimately decided the game.

It absolutely has it's place in "greatest plays in SB history" but I just don't think it's the greatest.

If I were a hater though, I'd say that Beebe's play was greater than them all on principle :shifty:

I did. I gave credit to the man that, being completely blown out of the water in the Super Bowl, ran the length of the field to prevent a TD that ultimately meant absolutely nothing in the game save for giving the Cowboys a SB record.

But yeah, Leon Lett certainly wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. The best part about that play is that 3 seperate Cowboy players didn't think to look over the other shoulder one time.