The Avengers...

TKz

If you have seen Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind you have seen Ruffalo.

And Phoenix's crazy bit seems to have been him playing a part only for his mockumentary, TKz. I am not saying that in and of itself is not crazy though.

He's was really good in Shutter Island, too.

And Eternal Sunshine was crazy good. Really glad I listened to EWB on that. Yeah, I'd buy him as a really good replacement. Out of interest, does Norton have a reputation for being an asshole or something? Or is the writer being a bit of a douche?

Sort of both. Norton apparently has a reputation of getting heavily involved in the creative process to the point where he sometimes clashes with the people making the movie; he had a hand in the final cut of American History X, which the actual director balked at and tried to get his name removed from. There was a lot of talk about him and Louis Leterrier clashing with producers over the final cut of The Incredible Hulk too.

The thing with the Hulk though is that when he came on board he was asked to take a swipe at the script, to punch it up. There wasn't time for a serious rewrite, but all involved agreed that it wasn't up to snuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Joss Whedon finally made it official at Comic Con. He is writing and directing The Avengers. I got this from Bleeding Cool:

Here’s how Whedon sees The Avengers going down, according to our ears in the crowd at Comic-Con:

-It’s going to be 3D. But actually shot in 3D? Er… dunno. Why did nobody ask him this?

-His favourite Avengers storyline was The Death of Adam Warlock that ran across The Avengers Annual #7 and Marvel Two in One The Thing and Spider-Man. These are compiled in Marvel Masterworks: Warlock volume 2. We should not, however, expect such mysticism and cosmic shenanigans from his movie.

-What he’s enjoying about the character dynamics is that “these people shouldn’t be in the same room – and that is the very definition of family”. As much as anything else, this could be a nice way of making a virtue out of the fragmented nature of the Marvel movies franchise.

-He’s not rewriting the script for the movie at all. No – he’s writing it. From scratch. At the moment he’s moving around the parts of his own plot outline, “breaking” the story. When he does start writing dialogue, though, he’s not promising a long time spent on revision draft. He doesn’t “really do second drafts”.

-On the other hand, he’s open to criticism and advice.

The Avengers should officially be in pre-production by October with filming set to run into next Spring.

Boo 3-D. But otherwise this could still be quite good.

Echo'ed on the 3D. Unless it's something like Avatar where it actually helps the story. I just hope it isn't gimmicky crap. Or, outdated/ out of fashion by 2012. But yeah, I'm still mega-excited for this.

The only 3D films I saw and liked the 3D effects was Avatar and Alice In Wonderland. Clash Of The Titans was terrible in 3D. I will never again see a movie converted to 3D. If it was filmed in 3D maybe, but the conversion process sucks.

The argument that you won't see a movie in 3D if it's not needed is futile, considering 3D ISN'T needed in ANY movie. Ever. Movies are 3D thanks to your damn eye balls and how they work. Avatar was a total gimmick movie. The more time that passes from having seen the movie, the less I enjoy it. There wasn't any substance and relied on the 3D gimmick. Why would anyone need things to pop out of the screen to enjoy a movie? I mean, seriously. 3D needs to die a grueling, but fast death.

• Like 1

That's the thing, though. Avatar was a gimmick. It needed 3D because it was going to be bad. James Cameron sat down and wondered how he could make a shit ton of money off a pedestrian story and came up with the 3D gimmick. He said it himself. He was going to make it once he got the technology. However, if you're going to make a movie, you don't need 3D. Cameron didn't make a movie, he made a spectacle.

Your opinion really changed after the Top Movies 0f 2009 thread.

Yeah. It's unfortunate. Like I said, the more I think about the movie the less I enjoy it. I hate that feeling.