Trophies and Achievements

Benji

You play games, reach certain targets, and you get 'awarded' a trophy. Trophies come in Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum, with a Platinum being given for recieving 100% of the other trophies.

You also have gamer levels, based on how many trophies someone has, although it doesn't really factor into anything much. I guess it just gives some semblance of the amount of trophies earnt going towards something.

I guess that's about it.

You play games, reach certain targets, and you get 'awarded' a trophy. Trophies come in Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum, with a Platinum being given for recieving 100% of the other trophies.

You also have gamer levels, based on how many trophies someone has, although it doesn't really factor into anything much. I guess it just gives some semblance of the amount of trophies earnt going towards something.

I guess that's about it.

Yes, and wen it comes to the gamer levels it´s kinda like the MS Points in disguise.

If I'm on the fence about a game, I will check to see how gettable the achievements are.

Haha, I do this too.

I really like achievements. It's not the gamerscore aspect so much, just the collecting of them plus they give games an extra lifespan by either giving you a reason to play through more than once, or go out of your way to do in-game activities that you probably wouldn't normally.

Achievements and trophies and whatnot are fine and dandy, I don't actively seek them out but if they happen over the course of a game it's a nice surprise. The only game that I've even come close to trying to 100% was Batman: Arkham Asylum, because there aren't any ridiculously hard trophies.

EDIT: Oh, though, I did seek out achievements in TF2 because before Valve made the most recent crop of changes you had to get certain achievements/amounts of achievements with each class to unlock new weapons.

I can agree that achivements make a game's life last longer but since GamerScore doesn't really do anything or has any point (besides showing it off) I rarely go achivement hunting unless it is a game I really like.

I think it's hit and miss. It depends what the "Achievements" and such are - a lot of the time they're a symptom of the games industry recent shift towards persistence over ability. Like, who cares if I can kill 1000 of the weakest enemy? All it shows is that I'm prepared to waste my time, not that I have any intrinsic talent at playing the game.

While not an "achievement" per sé, but along similar lines, in one of the Sonic collections, to unlock some of the extra games you have to play Sonic 1 for something like six hours. Now, I can complete Sonic 1 in about twenty minutes to half an hour. Why the fuck would I want to play it for six? Surely the reward should be for finishing the game, for collecting all the Chaos Emeralds, something which shows that you've genuinely achieved something through ability, rather than through blind stubborn persistence.

• Like 2