Official Premier League 2010/11 thread

According to Sky Sports, Torres and Luiz aern't expected to feature for Chelsea. Van Der Sar, Vidic, Rooney and Berbatov are set to return for United, it wouldn't suprise me to see 9 or 10 changes from the FA Cup game at Southampton.

Where's their fine for fielding a weakened side ? <_<

It's apart of the Premiership now, so I thought I'd post in here. Apparently, the story coming from Andy Carroll is he didn't want to leave and felt pushed because Newcastle wanted the money, whilst Pardew said Carroll wanted a new contract or let him talk to Liverpool.

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew to spend Andy Carroll cash

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has vowed to spend the £35m the club received from Liverpool for Andy Carroll on strengthening his squad in the summer.

Pardew had been determined not to sell the striker, 22, but admitted he could not turn down Liverpool's huge offer.

However, he said: "I told [Newcastle owner] Mike Ashley that the money has to be reinvested in the team and he agreed that all the money will be used.

"For the Newcastle fan, that is the most important message I can give."

In December, Pardew had said that Carroll, who signed a new deal in October, was not for sale.

And Newcastle rejected an initial approach for the England striker on transfer deadline day but, after receiving a second, accepted it when, according to Pardew, Carroll asked to leave if he was not given a new contract.

Pardew conceded he asked Carroll to put in a transfer request but stressed that he was not forced out.

"He mentioned he wanted a new deal, otherwise he wanted out and to talk to Liverpool. I told him he had to put that in writing and he did," stated Pardew.

Meanwhile Carroll has insisted he did not want to leave the Magpies, telling the Evening Chronicle: "I didn't want to leave. Make sure the fans know I didn't want to leave.

"[Managing director] Derek [Llambias] asked me to hand in a transfer request, so I was pushed into a corner and had no choice.

"I wasn't wanted by them and they made it clear they wanted the money.

"Then I flew down in [owner Mike Ashley's] helicopter. I didn't want to leave.

"I'm gutted that I wasn't wanted at my home team after everything I have done and the progress I have made."

Carroll's comments support what was reported in Tuesday's Daily Star, that he sent texts to Steve Wraith, editor of the Toon Talk fanzine, claiming he felt he had been forced out of the club.

However, Pardew maintained that Newcastle did everything in their power to keep the striker.

"When I first heard of a substantial bid, my advice was to turn it down as the reaction time for us to buy anyone else was too small, regardless of the size of the offer and Derek and Mike agreed with it," stated Pardew.

"I wanted Andy to stay but events took over and the size of the fee was obviously a big part of that.

"We have got an extraordinary figure for a 21-year-old [sic] who has done six months in the Premier League."

However, Pardew admitted he was not overly happy to be one striker short for the remainder of the season.

He continued: "Could it have been used [on transfer deadline day]? Late last night [Monday], we made a couple of bids, but we were getting extortionate figures thrown at us.

"It was ridiculous. Were we going to pay an over-inflated price for a lesser product than Andy Carroll? No, so unfortunately as I sit here now, I am weaker than I was yesterday [Monday] because I had Andy Carroll maybe four or five weeks away [from full fitness].

"No, I am not comfortable with it, but it is what it is.

"That doesn't feel good and that's part of why it's a difficult day because I've got to prepare a team to play Fulham [on Wednesday].

"But we have to stay strong as a group and my message to the players and fans is that we have to be strong in the second half of the season.

"We have done well without him and we have to continue doing that."

Pardew went on to stress that he did not want to fall out with Carroll over the move, adding: "Andy is probably slightly misguided. We didn't twist his arm to get on the helicopter. If he wanted to stay he could, but he's not here.

"He had a five-year contract and we said we would renew it in the summer but he wanted it renewed straight away and that is when the power shifted.

"Andy's a local boy and he doesn't want to have bad feelings with everyone and I don't want that either. He's gone to a good club and good luck to him.

"And it wasn't just about Andy Carroll [on Monday]. If we did a deal with him where does that leave everyone else at the club? If he scores another five goals does he get another contract?

"This is about Newcastle United being bigger than anyone and the decision was right for the club."

CREDIT: BBC Sport

The whole thing stinks. I hate Newcastle anyway so I couldn't give a toss. Ashley and Co are thick as thieves. Carroll also didn't have to hand in any transfer request.

And Pardew will get £35m in the summer? :lol: I doubt that very much. How many times have they been promised they would spend and they've spent fuck all?

Edited by ONO

Kalou and Mikel come into Chelsea's starting line-up tonight, favoured over Malouda and Ramires respectively. Kalou is fair enough as he did score at the weekend and Malouda did a whole bunch of nothing. Dropping Ramires is more dubious - he's been on improving form in recent weeks, while Essien has been most lacklustre. Mikel does need a start after having come back from injury, though.

Might be the last time we play 4-3-3 for a while, if some pundits are to be believed. :shifty:

Wow, we actually got a freekick at OT. What the fuck is going on?

Well, thanks to Dunne and Collins it is goodnight for Villa. I think Houllier has realised that he needs to replace these clowns in the summer. He should have done it in January, but it is hard to get good, solid replacements in unless you spend a wad of cash. It is unbelievable those two get paid about £80k a week between themselves.

Edited by ONO

Results sounding lovely so far. The second goal for us what an absolute beautiful ball from Nani, perfection.

Been good enough in the first. Villa have seen a bit of the ball but we've closed them down well and pressed brilliantly, no problems at all with Vidic being a rock at the back. Lovely so far.

3-2 to Chelsea now, John Terry has put them in front. Just need another former United man peg them back now :P

1-1 now at Arsenal, Arshavin has equalised after 70mins.

Edited by Jordan