Films that are better than the Book

Timmoru Suzuki

Its a widely held assertion that the book is always better than the film, but is that really ALWAYS true? Are there any films you enjoyed more than the book?

I just finished reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and while it is a very good book, I prefer the film. It's about as close an adaptation of book to film that your ever going to get which helps, it only cuts an enveloping story that was easily removed and could be made into it's own film, along with the odd very minor sub-plot; the sort of thing that's in the book for completness and depth, but which would only serve to make the film needlessly longer and their omission doesn't actually impact on the overall story. Beyond that, and moving one event from the middle of the book to the end, it's about identical to the book and is perfectly cast and acted and directed.

Also, it improves drastically on what I found to be the weakest area of he book - the dialogue which is quite stilted in parts of the novel.

As I said, the novel is a great story very well written, but is is a bit dragged down in pages of backstory which could be better split up across the novel, or in many cases removed entirely. It also drags when the author does things like spend 2/3rds of a page detailing the specs of a character's laptop.

So, overall I prefer the film.

Which brings me back to my original question, are there any films which you prefer to the book?

I don't know if this one counts because it was made in to an awesome Tv Mini Series; Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose. The book is brilliant but the effects and everything on the Tv Series was amazing. I bought it in a steel tin and I am extremely happy with my purchase lol

Apocalypse Now is better than Heart of Darkness.

Fight Club is on a par with the novel. The novel is great and written just as the movie is narrated.

On the reverse, Battle Royale is about 13 times worse as a movie than the novel and yet it's still a great and entertaining film.

I think I prefer the ending of Watchmen the movie to Watchmen the book. It changes on a day to day basis, but it's very close. That being said, the film isn't as good as a total package, but that's mainly because my favourite Watchmen character is Dr. Long and they pretty much cut him from the film. Bastards.

• Like 1

Even though I haven't finished reading through all of the Kick-Ass comics, the film is better by a considerable distance. It just makes more sense, especially the part at the start where he ends up in hospital.