2010/2011 NBA Thread

jrtdot

Alright so I know that tonight is the night either way but the draft is coming up very soon (June 24) and we have our first trade of the off-season to get things rolling:

The Sixers have agreed to trade Samuel Dalembert to the Kings for Andres Nocioni and Spencer Hawes, according to a report from Chad Ford of ESPN.

RealGM Note: Dalembert is entering the final season of his contract.

Nocioni is owed $6.85M, $6.65M and $7.5M over the next three seasons.

Hawes, a member of the 2007 NBA Draft class, will become a restricted free agent after the 10-11 season.

Both Dalembert and Nocioni have frequently been mentioned in trade rumors, largely due to their bloated contracts.

So there goes any thought of a Nocioni / Turkoglu swap.

In other news, The Wizards have cancelled their Evan Turner workout last week therefore most likely they loved everything John Wall had to offer and he will be their pick this year barring anything major happening between now and then which is unlikely. Real GM has a Mock Draft if anyone is interested: http://www.realgm.com/src_feature/1668/20100615/2010_nba_mock_draft_version_30/

The off-season has started off early with the departure of Steve Kerr as Suns GM (apparently money related) as he now is looking forward to returning to the Announcers booth. Danny Ferry resigning as GM for the Cavs and their new GM Chris Grant

New coach hirings like Avery Johnson to the Nets and Tom Thibodeau to Chicago. Also the Hornets and Monty Williams.

And of course the inevitable jibber jabber about who is going where. Also the free agent 2010 conspiracy theories of where the Free Agent Three want to go together (Lebron, D-Wade, Bosh, Joe Johnson and etc who could make up the three) and how World Wide Wes is involved in all this.

There are many questions going into this offseason for many teams. Especially if the cap is said to shrink that could affect team spending for sure.

Here is a full list of Free Agents this year and next yr: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-10-11

One way or another, this may be the most anticipated off-season in the NBA in years!

My only hope for the offseason is that the Knicks do something constructive with their cap space. I don't want to see them just throw the $32 million at 2 guys who are looking for max money, because it will be a repeat of the Allan Houston/Chris Childs days when they shelled out huge money for guys that didn't really deserve it. If they can only get one guy worth that kind of money this year, I'd prefer they just get the one and sit on the rest of the money until next year.

- What roster changes would - or should - the Lakers make to repeat as Champs? The only change they did was Artest for Ariza.

- If this "free agent summit" does result in three or more of these big names winding up on the same team, would the NBA have to implement rules to keep the players from "manipulating" the market in such a manner?

- If this "free agent summit" does result in three or more of these big names winding up on the same team, would the NBA have to implement rules to keep the players from "manipulating" the market in such a manner?

They would almost have to do something to make sure it doesn't happen again.

But what exactly would they be able to do?

They should be able to implement substantial fines to prevent guys from planning to do this years in advance and then talking about it every step of the way. If they can prevent collusion from the owners, they should be able to stop guys from planning their next move when they've got months if not years left on their deals.

That would just prevent the mention of a summit in terms of what has gone on with this FA class. They can't exactly stop Wade and Bosh from going to lunch

That's what they'd be trying to prevent. It's ridiculous that (one of) the best players in Atlanta, Cleveland, Miami, Phoenix, Toronto etc are planning to come together in an attempt to dictate where they're all going to play next year. Hanging out with a friend and shooting around an idea is different then planning to hold the NBA by the balls as they figure out where everyone wants to land and then try to make it happen.

I don't see how three of the big max contract guys will end up on the same team. It is going to be difficult enough for two of them to end up on the same team with the contract implications, much less three. Teams like the Knicks, who have no one basically under contract, would be the only ones who could convicably afford two free agents. In fact, I bet this whole situation turns out to be nothing more then media hype. I bet out of the top five or free agents, LeBron/Wade/Dirk/Johnson/Bosh/Stat, only one or two of them will actually end up on a different team.

Manute Bol died today. He wasn't a great player by any means, but he was one of the rare professional athletes these days who did a lot of great humanitarian work with his money. I will always remember the sight of seeing this 7'7 pencil thin giant shooting threes and blocking shots without jumping.

Sad =( the last thing I remember him doing was one of those Fox celebrities boxing matches, where him and whomever he was fighting wouldn't fight one another. The crowd ended up booing both of them, and the ref kept telling them to start fight. Still sad though.

Manute was always so fun to watch. He knew he wasn't going to overwhelm anyone in the low post, so he'd just fire up the most awkward threes. He'll definitely get an honorary Whodaman on 4Q this week.

Nice tribute column on Yahoo: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-boltribute061910

Thank God Chris Paul is on the trading block. He is by far my favorite player to watch in the NBA, but the Hornets just have failed to build a good team around him. David West is a good player, but about the only other decent player they have added over the past few years is a back up point guard...... <_< .......I hope he ends up in a better place, and not just another New Orleans Version 2.0

Some rumors on Chris Paul:

Grizzlies Admit Approaching Hornets On Chris Paul

A report on Monday indicated that the Grizzlies approached New Orleans with a deal for Chris Paul centered around O.J. Mayo.

"Unequivocally, O.J. Mayo was not part of any discussions about a trade for Chris Paul," Heisley said Monday night. "That is not true. Where do these people get this stuff?"

Heisley acknowledged that he approached New Orleans about Paul's availability but insisted "Mayo was not part of the package that I talked to them about."

Magic Amongst Teams Inquiring On Paul

The Magic are one of the teams that have inquired about the availability of Chris Paul, according to a league source.

The Hornets are unlikely to move Paul, who has two seasons left on his deal for a combined total of $31.3 million with a player option for the 2012-13 campaign worth $17.7 million.

Now I am not sure if any of this will pan out but as previously said, the Hornets have done a very bad job grouping him with players to get the most out of him. Besides David West, I cannot see any other player on the Hornets right now that can actually help Paul.

Some rumors I remember on Mo Williams is him going to Toronto (also another rumor is Delonte going to Toronto). The general consenus is that if Lebron leaves the Cavs that Mo will become available. Another team putting out feelers for Mo is The Blazers, though it would probably have to be some sort of PG swap as they seem to be full of PG and SG's (even with injuries).

Salmons Opting Out

John Salmons has told the Bucks that he will opt out of the final year of his contract and hit the free agent market.

Salmons helped lead Milwaukee to the postseason and a seven-game defeat at the hands of Atlanta in the first round.

"Free Agency 2010 sleeper alert: John Salmons has notified Milwaukee that he will be opting out, according to a source close to him," Sam Amick of FanHouse wrote on his Twitter page.

Which could explain this move...

Bucks Acquire Magette from G-State

The Golden State Warriors have sent Corey Maggette and the 44th overall pick in the 2010 NBA Draft to the Bucks for Charlie Bell and Dan Gadzuric, the Warriors announced on Tuesday.

“Corey has been a consistent scorer throughout his career,” said Milwaukee GM John Hammond. “He shoots a solid percentage from the field and has shown the ability to get to the free throw line. We’re looking forward to having him in a Bucks uniform.”

“Charlie and Dan are two high-character veterans who can provide us with some of the intangibles that we need on our squad,” said Golden State GM Larry Riley. “They are both experienced veterans who will be welcomed additions to our very young team. Additionally, while we certainly wish Corey well and thank him for his outstanding contributions the last two years, this will help alleviate a log-jam that we have at small forward and, more importantly, power forward, where we expect both Brandan Wright and Anthony Randolph to return from injuries and play an increased role on our team next season.”

This is a good move for both parties in my opinion. We have seen what the Bucks are capable of and hopefully with Bogut having another great season this could be the deal that takes them into the second round and maybe more. For G-State, they can develop their future stars while getting rid of another big contract.

Curry Opts in

Eddy Curry has picked up his option for the 2010-11 season with the New York Knicks.

Curry has sought a buyout, but he appears unwilling to accept anything less than the full amount of his $11.276M contract.

The Knicks, however, are now free to trade Curry

The Knicks may be able to trade him to a team who has the cap space...if there is such a team, this just reminds me of how bad of a signing this was many a years ago.

Edited by jrtdot