2010/2011 NBA Thread

jrtdot

On the heels of this supermassiveultra-tastic trade, The Raptors jumped on the trade mill by trading Marco Belinelli to the Hornets for Julian Wright

The Hornets have agreed to trade forward Julian Wright to the Raptors in exchange for guard Marco Belinelli, according to sources.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68644/20100811/raptors_get_wright_from_hornets_for_belinelli/#ixzz0wLkkEani

What Wright may be able to bring is some defensive toughness at the SF/G spot. He also brings his youthfulness to a Raptors club that is now in the Young Gunz era. Unfortunately though, the Raps try to get rid of a loaded logjam at guard and now create one at SF. So we will see if this may lead to other trades down the line.

So yet another player is rumored to jump ship. Carmelo Anthony, though there is nothing official (nor would there be) but after his contract is up this season, many believe that he will leave the Nuggets for an East Coast team like the Knicks. Now I don't know about you but this is getting ridiculous, this is becoming a nightmare for smaller market clubs like the Raptors, Cavs, New Orleans and Denver.

On a side note, Fernandez wants out of the Blazers. And Boykins has signed for the Bucks.

Also, Spain vs USA is Sunday. ^^

Fernandez wants out of the NBA*

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68757/20100819/agent_fernandez_wont_play_in_nba/

I just hope my Sixers can make a good run this year with Evan Turner

• 1 month later...

The Denver Nuggets are having serious discussions about a four-way trade that would landCarmelo Anthony with the New Jersey Nets, according to sources with knowledge of the negotiations.

Anthony

The proposed deal, sources said, also would involve the Utah Jazz and theCharlotte Bobcats. It would deliver Nets rookie forward Derrick Favors, Jazz veteran Andrei Kirilenko and multiple first-round picks to Denver in exchange for their franchise player, potentially bringing a resolution to Anthony's uncertain future before the Nuggets hold their first practice of the new season. Sources told ESPN.com that the deal, which has yet to be finalized, also would send former All-Star point guard Devin Harris to Charlotte, with Bobcats forward Boris Diaw moving to Utah. The four teams, said one source close to the talks, are "seriously engaged" after extensive talks Thursday. However, one obstacle is Anthony's willingness to sign a contract extension with the Nets. A source told ESPN.com that the Nets will not go through with the trade -- even if Denver is ready to pull the trigger -- unless Anthony commits to signing a contract extension, as Kevin Garnett did as part of the mega-trade that sent him from Minnesota to Boston in July 2007. Because Anthony has the ability to become a free agent at season's end -- which is the hammer that has enabled his agent, Leon Rose, to apply such pressure to the Nuggets in hopes of forcing a trade before the start of the season -- New Jersey is unwilling to sacrifice assets such as Favors and Harris without a guarantee that Anthony will be there for the long term. ESPN.com reported earlier this week that Anthony's representatives have been pushing Denver to deal the 26-year-old to New York or Chicago, his two preferred destinations, but the Knicks lack the trade assets required to tempt Denver and the Bulls have consistently refused to make center Joakim Noah available, trying instead to sell the Nuggets on a package headlined by swingman Luol Deng. The Nuggets have offered Anthony a three-year extension worth $65 million, but he has not signed the deal.

The rumors about Anthony to the Nets have been getting more attention lately but I hope we don't give up too much and end up with a one man team. Dealing away Harris/Favors and some firsts on the Nets end would leave us with Anthony, Brook Lopez, and ... Travis Outlaw? <_< I pray that Outlaw gets released from his shitty deal if we do get Anthony though, Outlaw making 7 mil is still something that makes NO sense.

The Outlaw deal was godawful.

Didn't we get Troy Murphy for a year also?

Yeah but that doesn't bother me considering he,s a good trade chip. I also read we would be getting DJ Augustin from the Bobcats out of the deal. I could see some potential in a squad with DJ/Brook/Melo.

By trading Devin Harris the Nets are basically saying that they feel pretty good about bringing CP3 into the fold. Melo's great, and is at his absolute peak. But he'll lose 2-3 years of that peak during the Nets rebuilding and move, but once they're in Brooklyn I can see everything being in place and them being a competitor if he's the centerpiece.

At least we now can rest assured that Russian Mark Cuban isn't all talk, he's actually trying dammit!

• 3 weeks later...

Carmelo appears to be getting more agitated that he hasn't been traded yet. His list of preferred destinations is still the Knicks, Nets & Bulls. If either the Knicks or Nets get him, I can't see a scenario where they don't also end up with CP3 in 2 seasons. Since the Dolans have cursed MSG for roughly a decade, look for him to end up in Jersey or Chicago <_<

With the Nets moving in 2 years, CP3 a free agent in 2 years, and the chance to take a serious foothold in the New York market I can't see the Nets backing down from their deal for Melo. They're offering the best package that the Nuggets will find, and I'd expect him there soon. The first year will be rough, but they'll be able to fill some holes next offseason and wait for Paul to come to town the following year. If the Nuggets wait too long, the Nets could luck out and be able to pull a name off the table in this trade. But a "Big 3" of Paul, Anthony, and Lopez in 2 years will definitely be a contender in the East.

What are the Bulls offering now for Carmelo? Deng and Gibson and a first? I love Gibson and I'd hate to see him leave, especially with Boozer being as injury prone as he is and Asik being a year or two away from really being a major contributor. Plus, I don't think Carmelo is that much better then Deng on the Bulls.

What are the Bulls offering now for Carmelo? Deng and Gibson and a first? I love Gibson and I'd hate to see him leave, especially with Boozer being as injury prone as he is and Asik being a year or two away from really being a major contributor. Plus, I don't think Carmelo is that much better then Deng on the Bulls.

Yep, Deng sure is close to Melo's level alright...

Anyway, the Cavs need to trade Jamison and Mo ASAP, I don't want to win 35 games and be mediocre, they need to win 15-20 and tank for Harrison Barnes.

I'm going to put this in spoiler tags as it's quite long, but the blog By The Horns (Bulls blog) posted this a while back comparing the two.

Which begs the question: Is Anthony an upgrade from Deng?

I can hear the howls of dismay already, but bear with me for a minute. Yes, ‘Melo scores more than Deng (about 11 PPG more last season). But his Usage Rate is 33.4 (third in the league behind Dwyane Wade and LeBron) to Deng’s 21.9. Denver’s offense runs through Anthony, and he was carte blanche to shoot the ball. Not so for Luol.

Furthermore, Anthony shot the ball less efficiently than Deng. Last season, ‘Melo’s Effective Field Goal Percentage was .478, while Deng’s was .482. Not a huge, gaping difference, but the edge goes to Luol. And interestingly enough, Deng’s three-point percentage over the past three seasons (.364, .400, .386) is better than Anthony’s over that same stretch (.354, .371, .316). It might also be worth stating that Luol’s career field goal percentage (.474) is higher than Anthony’s (.459).

Don’t misunderstand me. I’m not saying that Deng is a better scorer. It’s clear that Anthony has the more complete offensive skill set. What I’m saying is that his shooting efficiency is lower than Deng’s and his PPG stats almost certainly benefit from extra looks.

It’s also interesting to note that Deng and Anthony both have a career Offensive Rating of 107 points scored per 100 possessions. However, Deng’s career Defensive Rating is 104, while ‘Melo’s is 107. So basically, over the course of his career, Anthony has given up as many points per 100 possessions as he has scored, while Deng is +3 PP100.

Furthermore, Deng is a better rebounder. Last season, Luol averaged 7.3 RPG to Anthony’s 6.2 RPG. But forget the raw numbers. Deng had a Defensive Rebounding Rate of 15.8 and a Total Rebounding Rate of 10.7. Anthony’s numbers were 13.1 and 9.9, respectively. ‘Melo did have an edge in Offensive Rebounding Rate (6.7 to 5.6), but that makes sense considering how dialed in Anthony is on the offensive end.

Extra offensive rebounds also may be a given since, as Haberstroh observed: “Anthony got his shot blocked a whopping 109 times last season, which ranks as the second-highest total in the league, according to Hoopdata.com.”

I could go on to point out that Deng has the advantage in some other advanced statistical categories (such as Block Percentage, Turnover Percentage and Defensive Win Shares). But I don’t want to beat a dead horse here. The theme is that advance stats show us that the gulf between ‘Melo and Deng may not be as wide as the raw numbers seem to indicate.

Again, I’m not necessarily saying that Deng is better than Anthony. And he certainly hasn’t been as healthy (although ‘Melo has missed at least 13 games in three of the last four seasons). But Anthony, for all his many scoring moves, is a volume shooter who is accustomed to lots of shots and a fast pace (the Nuggets were 5th in Pace Factor last season).

Ask yourself these questions: Is ‘Melo going to get volume shots in Chicago? Alongside Derrick Rose and Carlos Boozer? Would Anthony be that much of an upgrade over Deng that it would be worth potentially sacrificing chemistry (there’s still only one ball) and giving up depth (probably Gibson)?

Obviously I'd rather start a team with Carmelo then Deng, but with Rose, Boozer, Noah, Brewer, Watson, and Korver all looking to get shots the most effective part of Carmelo's game is a lot more limited in Chicago then in Denver unless we sacrifice everyone else's shots to keep Carmelo's high volume of shooting up. Add that to the fact that Deng is a very good defender and should become a great defender under Thibodeau, something I don't know I can say about Anthony. I just don't like the idea of giving up our best defender, a first, and a potential quality starter at PF in Gibson for a volume shooter when we have a lot of guys who are going to be looking for their shots as well.

Looking at Anthony and Deng in isolation like that is bad for two reasons. Luol Deng probably hasn't drawn consistent double teams since HS, and Carmelo can pretty much get to the line at will in the playoffs. In terms of being a HUGE upgrade in the regular season, Anthony probably isn't, but if you can give up some spare parts and a draft pick you won't need to get Carmelo you pretty much have to do it because he can be the difference between a second round loss in 6/7, and a shot at the NBA Finals.