NHL 11

Toe

NHL_11_Jonathan_Toews_cover.jpg

NHL 11 comes out in August, and news is already coming out about the game. I am really excited to see some of the new features and improvements. NHL 10 was great, so it won't take much to make NHL 11 another great addition to the EA line-up.

One of the biggest new features is the addition of the CHL. Now you will be able to play as teams in the OHL, WHL, and QMJHL. This will be important for Be A Pro, where you will be able to develop your player as a prospect, and it will greatly improve the draft in the GM mode.

Along with a new physics engine and a new hitting system that will greatly increase the types of hits, broken sticks and new quick dekes will make the game feel even more like real hockey. They have even added disallowed goals! I am really looking forward to getting this game when it is released! Who's with me?

Eh, NHL 10 got boring, and quickly. NHL 11 certainly looks improved, and the real-time physics and new faceoff system is lovely. The CHL is fucking awesome, and something I'd never expect to have seen in this game.

Howwwwweeveerrr... the skating still looks like absolute balls. There is no sense of momentum or digging in it at all, and it really looks awful. It's even more apparent with real-time physics and such unthinkable things as broken sticks, the return of disallowed goals, and the CHL especially.

One last addition: The CHL has been added this year. Every CHL team and all of the current top prospects are in the game. In Be A Pro mode, you start as an 18-year-old in the CHL, playing for the Memorial Cup. After the Championship game, it's off to be drafted. EA's keeping mum on any other changes to Be A Pro mode, but here's hoping the career progression system gets a major overhaul.

Just saw this little gift from an IGN preview. It's sort of implied in the first post in the thread that you go through the CHL in BAP, but the confirmation is a treat. If they incorporate Pre-seaon, Mid-season and Final rankings like real life Central Scouting, I may just cream myself. That sounds absolutely sick.

• 1 month later...

Demo is up on both the PSN and XBox Live. You can only play one period of a match. It seems instantly fun, and there's no doubt lots of options, but I'm not sure how long the actual gameplay will last before it starts to feel a bit samey. Though that can be said of just about every EA Sports title. Like I said, it was a bit of fun though I'd like to be able to play more than one period to really test it.

Not sure I'd but it. Maybe rent it, or buy it on the cheap.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The latest NHL game I have is actually 2004 (do they even make them for PC still?), but the CHL just might be enough to get me to pick one up again, especially if they have real players.

The latest NHL game I have is actually 2004 (do they even make them for PC still?), but the CHL just might be enough to get me to pick one up again, especially if they have real players.

They don't make PC NHL games anymore (I think 08 or 09 was the last one)

But there is still a decent modding community for 2004 on PC.

I wasn't going to get 11 after not really getting into 10 but EA stepped up their game with the CHL and everything that branches off of the CHL.

They've got me to come back.

---------

And apparently Plubby as unaware when I informed him of these features.

from a reputable Hockey VG forum.

Not sure it anyone else noticed this, but if you press select for the help screen in the UHL mode in the NHL demo, you get some nice information about Be a GM, Be a Pro, and info about player attributes.

here are some of them:

Ristricted and Unrestricted Free Agents

Offer Sheets

trade up to 6 years worth of draft picks

"improved" trading logic...we've been hearing this for years...

Pre-Season for Be A Pro and Be A GM

New Rookie class consisting 11 world wide leages, each league contributes quality players based on historical trends

ADD YOUR OWN GOAL HORN!!! its about time....they told me no during one of the live chats

and apparently player interviews for your Be a Pro player.