NHL 2010/2011

SeanDMan

[01:02] SDM:

[01:03] Jen: oh yes that is beautiful

[01:03] Jen: it brings tears to my ice

[01:03] Jen: er, eyes

[01:03] SDM: Hahaha.

It will bring tears to your ice!

Haha, it was. That skit with him and McLennan and the zamboni was actually both of them too.

Salary cap to rise again, possibly by as much as 3 million... I know that everyone is aware that the system isn't perfect... far from it, but with the CBA coming up again in the not too distant future there might be some issues... notably that pre lockout the average salary was 1.8 million and now it's above 2 million. For the 16 teams losing money, there may be some issues. Not every market has the good fortune to be a Toronto, Chicago, New York or Montreal.

I understand that the cap in theory levels the playing field and in theory makes hockey more attractive to struggling markets who can have strong teams with some smart managing and I like that, at least in terms of giving teams a ceiling. But Atlanta has as many empty seats at home no matter where they are in the standings and the same goes for a ton of other teams. When half the league is losing money just trying to get to the cap floor, you have a problem and need to stop inflating player value every year.

NHL managers are crazy and those representing wealthy teams will throw out big figures because they know the cap just keeps going up. Eventually we'll again have a league split into haves and have-nots if it isn't that way already. Abolish the cap floor or move the teams that can't generate interest in their no-hope market. Seems simple.

If small market teams are struggling, you fix it through revenue sharing.

Here is my entry into the hockey thread.

Anyone see that Tim Thomas diving save the other day? Impressive.

Awesome save, but also probably one of the most overrated saves of the last few years.

Hah! I saw that online earlier and felt pretty bad for Darren Pang.

Leafs/Habs on saturday will be broadcast is 3D, this begs the question do the Leafs even have 3 D? :P

I know, I'm gonna eat some serious crow for that comment if Toronto wins 2-1 or something.

Habs have about 6 million to play with now that Markov is gone, plus what they already had in space. I'm curious what they'll do with it. The team is playing very well, but eventually Price will tire, or Hamrlik and Spacek won't be able to play 28 minutes a night. I'd really love to see them pick up a power forward. Although I'm sure every team would like to see their GM pick one up. But since... maybe John LeClaire, there hasn't really been that presence on the Habs. They've got the stingiest D in the league but also don't score very many goals. Which will be a problem at some point in the season or playoffs (See 2010 ECF vs Philly... *shudder*)