To sing the anthem, or not to sing the anthem?

Liam

Sing the anthem?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sing the national anthem if representing your country?

It was something I meant to put on here around the time of the World Cup, but forgot about.

So yeah, basically: if you were representing your country at any sport in which the national anthem is played before the event (team sports more than not, I'd hazard a guess), would you sing the national anthem?

God no. Flower of Scotland is such a dirge of a tune. Neither would I sing the anthem if I was representing Great Britain, as that would give the impression I was condoning the crushing of rebellious Scots, which I of course do not. Not to mention God Save The Queen is perhaps the only national anthem more boring than Flower of Scotland, with the exception of the Star Spangled Banner.

However, were I representing France, Italy, or even the Soviet Union or Cuba, I would be delighted to sing their anthem. Fine tunes.

If I represented Wales then yes. If it was UK/GBR then no.

Not that I'm anti-british/anti-queen or anything, I just think it's an awful anthem that makes me feel more cringeing than proud and is a product of a time when everyone had their place in society and could do nothign to alter that. British society has not been that was for several centuries now so it has no relevence.

Our anthem on the other hand is a rousing hymn bestowing the beuty of the land itself and the traditions of music, warriorism and language. Plus it has a really loud bit in the middle that everyone can join in with even if they don't know the rest of the words :).

I'd definitely sing it, whenever I go to events where Ireland are being represented I sing it too. I've known the song since I was a kid in school when our teacher taught it to us.

Plus, Amhrán na bhFiann has a badass tempo to it and the lyrics are awesome. It makes it more special knowing that it's in our own language that will never truly die while it's around.

I still think it's rendition when England came to play at Croke Park for the first time is the best and most passionate of any national anthem delivery ever. Seeing the players so psyched up for it, knowing the historic nature of the event and some even crying, still gives me goosebumps now.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Yes, but my national anthem sounds like a drinking song.

Are you kidding me? I love your national anthem and I'm not even Canadian <_<

Yes, I meant I would sing it because it's a drinking song. If I were American or British or Russian or something, I'm not so sure I would sing those anthems. :P

New British national anthem -

New Scottish national anthem -

New American national anthem - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wiYdUe36_Q

I'm sure you will all agree these are great improvements.

Oh and it's just not TCO. you're going to be beaten by one of those crazy jingoistic die for your country places like North Korea or something. Plus, it's only Ireland. <_<

I'd sing it to the Queen absolutely.

However when she pops her clogs and Charles takes over I won't be able to sing it so passionately.

Agreed.

If I were to be called up to play for England now, I'd probably scream my guts out. Charles isn't likeable in the slightest and William and Harry are too young for my liking. I have reservations about holding somebody born 8 years before me in such high esteem.