The 2010 Ryder Cup Thread

Magus978

Fourball is underway in a downpour at Celtic Manor. Here are the morning pairings as it rains sideways and the greens start to look borderline unplayable, even with the availability of squeegees.

Match 1

Phil Mickelson/Dustin Johnson vs. Lee Westwood/Martin Kaymer

Match 2

Stewart Cink/Matt Kuchar vs. Rory McIlroy/Graeme McDowell

Match 3

Tiger Woods/Steve Stricker vs. Ian Poulter/Ross Fisher

Match 4

Bubba Watson/Jeff Overton vs. Luke Donald/Padraig Harrington

Will the United States take the cup back with them, or will Europe find a way to seize the cup away from the Americans and keep it on European soil? Who ya' got?

Edited by Magus978

Quite honestly I'm shocked that they're playing in this weather. If it's any event on the PGA Tour, I'm pretty sure they would have just told the players not to even bother to show up for any playing today.

If the morning matches are this much of a trainwreck with the weather, I dread what we're going to see in the afternoon session. :unsure:

Play has resumed at Celtic Manor after being suspended at 4:45 AM EST, accounting for a 7+ hour rain delay. This is going to create a logjam of matches over the course of the competition.

Current Standings

Match 1: Westwood/Kaymer 2 up Mickelson/Johnson (Through 8)

Match 2: Cink/Kuchar 1 up McIlroy/McDowell (Through 7)

Match 3: Poulter/Fisher 1 up Woods/Stricker (Through 5)

Match 4: B. Watson/Overton 2 up Donald/Harrington (Through 4)

The sun has finally come out in beautiful Wales, and it looks like we could get a little extra daylight to try and finish the fourball matches for today.

Edited by Magus978

We have a schedule change due to the rain and the long delays, in an effort to try and get a sunday evening finish.

The second session will be comprised of six foursomes matches.

The third session will be comprised of two foursomes matches and four fourballs matches.

These sessions will be followed by 12 singles matches.

That from ESPN's Jason Sobel. There won't be any players hidden for the rest of the competition. Everyone plays from session 2 on.

Update: 7:04 PM Wales time

All the matches are done for the night. USA leads in two matches, Europe leads one, and one is all square.

Edited by Magus978

Play for saturday has ended with the foursomes matches still out on the course.

Europe leads in all 6 of the matches that will be finished on sunday before the singles.

USA leads in the points 6-4, but if things hold they will have a rough go of it to get 8 points in the singles to retain :(

They're back underway at Celtic Manor after another lengthy delay due to torrential rains. Tournament officials confirmed that the remaining fourball and foursomes matches will be the only matches completed today, with the 12 singles matches pushed back to monday, giving the Ryder Cup their first ever Monday finish. They will start at 9:05 am Wales time.

As for the play today, keep the European flags on the leaderboard for all 6 matches. USA have to turn this around and fast. They can start with the 3 matches that they are only 1 down in. Luke Donald/Lee Westwood are Dormie 6 over Tiger Woods/Steve Stricker with 6 to play, so that's a sure point for Europe.

I'll be up nice and early for this - got to love Sky Sports News though.

"Europe are on the brink."

Yeah, they're 3 full points ahead with 12 to play for tomorrow - of course they bloody are. :shifty:

List of singles matches;

Lee Westwood v Steve Stricker

Rory McIlroy v Stewart Cink

Luke Donald v Jim Furyk

Martin Kaymer v Dustin Johnson

Ian Poulter v Matt Kuchar

Ross Fisher v Jeff Overton

Miguel Angel Jimenez v Bubba Watson

Francesco Molinari v Tiger Woods

Edoardo Molinari v Rickie Fowler

Peter Hanson v Phil Mickelson

Padraig Harrington v Zach Johnson

Graeme McDowell v Hunter Mahan

I'm guessing that's the order, too?

Makes sense to have the Molinari brothers in and around each other. It looks like Pavin's done the same with Overton and Watson - did you see how fired up they were today?

Looking forward to Kaymer vs. Johnson, which could've happened at the PGA if DJ wasn't disqualified. Predictions in bold, for fun. The six wins would be enough for Europe to take the Ryder Cup. And I hate betting against Kaymer, but he hasn't had a great weekend, and Dustin's a HUGE hitter.

Going well at 11-9. 3 1/2 points left to clinch it, and Europe are ahead in 4.

I can't help but think Rhys Davies should've gone instead of Harrington. He probably would've if his form was a bit better going into it, and I wasn't so biased. :shifty:

The crowd would've been behind him more than anyone though.

Good Morning EWB :)

It's now 13-12 Europe. Fowler trails E. Molinari on 18, Hunter Mahan's only one down against McDowell, while Zach Johnson is trying to put Padraig Harrington away.

EDIT - Fowler comes back to halve against Molinari! 13.5 - 12.5 Europe. If Zach Johnson wins his match, then Hunter Mahan only needs to halve to keep the cup in America!

Edited by Magus978