The Ashes

Lineker

Seems like a good moment to drop in on the thread to say hi now that Swann's jut got Marcus North out leaving Aus on 143-5. Whooo. Definite result pitch.

Weird thing is it is a really good batting wicket. Hussey is showing how good a wicket it actually is (this is the best I've seen him bat in a long time), just batsmen are getting out when bowlers pitch it up.

Reckon it'll get better for batsmen as the game progresses, too.

Australias middle order is very scratchy, as much as i Love pup clarke, he shouldn't have played, seems very selfish.

Openers seem to be solid but from there we are very hit and miss

I don't think he would have played if there was someone banging down on the door, but Khawaja and Ferguson both failed in the A game and we are suffering by the lack of batsmen who have been blooded in the past four years. That being said, he had to know he wasn't OK and might waste two tests considering I can't see him being any better for Adelaide.

This game is in a very interesting position. If these two and Johnson can get us around 300 it'll probably be okayish, but we've got such a long tail it'll take a hell of an effort.

A long tail? I remember Doherty playing at 9 before, but since the other Tassie bowlers couldn't bat, it'll be interesting to see if the bats ahead of Siddle.

Anyone who thought of dropping Hussey being a good idea will now surely realise that that was stupid. Hughes and Ferguson both look out of form, White and Smith aren't quite good enough batsmen, Marsh is still recovering from an injury and Khawaja has seemingly done nothing at all to deserve a call-up. Guys like Hodge and David Hussey would be the ideal option, but they're not going to get picked no matter what they do.

We need to get one of these 2 out, this could be a game changer, both look in good touch.

Called it at the start of the partnership >_>

They looked immovable, got heapes of luck too, but I guess you earn your luck and they did.

I can't see anything other than the Aussies going 1-0 up now, our batsmen will have to get around 500 to get anything out of this imo.

Without those two England have been on top. They smashed through Australia's upper order AND lower order...Just ran into two guys on form.

Well Katich and Watson made 78 for the first wicket, so yeah, aside from those two partnerships they would've been on top. But then in turn taking out the Cook-Pietersen and Cook-Bell partnerships as well you would probably end up with a similar scorecard.

He was plumb once, but you can understand that type of appeal not being given as it did sound like he'd hit it in real time. Just a shame (or a good thing for us) that England didn't have any appeals left after using them on pretty marginal stuff.

Thought Finn was OK, but fuck me dead Anderson was unlucky. Was unplayable in that first session. Swann again very disappointing.

I watched the first 6 overs and then decided to go to bed, pissed off now, wish I'd stayed up longer and watched more. From what I hear Cook and Strauss played a blinder. Looks like we should hold on for a draw, which after that first innings, I'll take.

My favourite comment so far on the BBC commentary (after Cook sets a new record for highest English batsman score in Brisbane): 'Permission to shout BRAVO in an annoying loud voice Sir?'

517-1 declared, now let's lets see some Aussie wickets tumble before the end of the day.

That was Ryan Harris I think. The last day of the match especially was completely dull. There was a one in a hundred chance that something might happen, but after we couldn't hold catches and England declaring late, it was a foregone conclusion. Hard to believe after the start of the match really. Bring on Adelaide.