Formula One 2011

Lineker

• Admin
Sebastian Vettel set a sensational fastest time in final practice for the Spanish Grand Prix - despite only getting a single flying lap in the session due to a problem on his car.

The world champion had managed just three installation laps before an issue forced him to return to the Red Bull garage. Repairs were only completed with a few minutes to go, but his lack of running proved no impediment whatsoever as Vettel breezed straight to the top with a 1m21.707s on his only flying lap of the morning.

Until then, Vettel's team-mate Mark Webber had been in total command.

The Australian had been quickest in both sessions yesterday, and soon hit the front this morning as well, establishing a one-second margin over the field on hard tyres, and then doing the same when everyone switched to softs in the final minutes. But when Vettel emerged, Webber found himself deposed by just 0.084 seconds.

Mercedes' Michael Schumacher led the way for a while thanks to an early change to softs, and ended the session third - albeit a full 1.3s off Vettel's pace.

The McLarens were only fourth and fifth, ahead of Nico Rosberg in the second Mercedes, Sauber's Kamui Kobayashi and Renault's Vitaly Petrov.

The latter's team-mate Nick Heidfeld had the most dramatic incident of the morning when his Renault caught fire after 25 minutes. Heidfeld quickly parked the car as flames took hold around the right-hand sidepod and exhaust, and while he was unhurt, the team faces a huge job to get the car ready for qualifying.

1305972544.jpg

Local hero Fernando Alonso was only ninth in the leading Ferrari, and had to park in the garage in the closing minutes after appearing to get stuck in sixth gear.

FP3

Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap Laps
1. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m21.707s 6
2. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m21.791s + 0.084s 17
3. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1m23.057s + 1.350s 16
4. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m23.068s + 1.361s 13
5. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m23.214s + 1.507s 14
6. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m23.397s + 1.690s 18
7. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1m23.669s + 1.962s 17
8. Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m24.043s + 2.336s 18
9. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m24.270s + 2.563s 11
10. Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1m24.318s + 2.611s 18
11. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m24.322s + 2.615s 17
12. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m24.329s + 2.622s 19
13. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 1m24.399s + 2.692s 17
14. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m24.535s + 2.828s 16
15. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1m24.695s + 2.988s 18
16. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m24.722s + 3.015s 14
17. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m25.223s + 3.516s 19
18. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Renault 1m26.236s + 4.529s 11
19. Jarno Trulli Lotus-Renault 1m27.000s + 5.293s 20
20. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1m27.706s + 5.999s 20
21. Tonio Liuzzi HRT-Cosworth 1m28.330s + 6.623s 17
22. Jerome D-Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth 1m29.057s + 7.350s 18
23. Nick Heidfeld Renault 1m29.200s + 7.493s 6
24. Narain Karthikeyan HRT-Cosworth 1m29.562s + 7.855s 16

All timing unofficial[/code]

Pirelli is keen to hit its target of two-stop Formula 1 races as often as it can this season, after conceding that the four-stop Turkish Grand Prix was probably too much.

The event at Istanbul witnessed the highest number of pitstops in F1 history as most drivers were forced to change tyres four times over the course of the race.

Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery said in Spain that he would have preferred there to have been one less stop at that race - suggesting his ideal target is a repeat of the situation seen in China, where teams opted for either two or three stops.

"Shanghai is where I would like to be," explained Hembery. "That is the input we are giving our team. We have sat back and said if we could do Shanghai again that would be good.

"Turkey wasn't too bad as everyone beforehand was going, 'oh my God, it is a tough, tough race.' But it was a good race. People enjoyed it and if there being one too many pitstops was the worst of the problems, then I am quite happy."

Hembery concedes it is hard for Pirelli to get the balance right for ensuring two-stop races each weekend because it is limited to just four compound tyres for the season.

"We only have four compounds to play with and 20 circuits for the season - with different circuits and different temperature profiles.

"Ideally you want 10-12 compounds to get the target right each time, so we are compromised each time as to what we can do."

He added: "But we are new to sport and learning along the way. We cannot become experts on every circuit overnight, and we need to go to every circuit to get the data.

"We are allowed four weeks of testing in five-degrees centigrade pre-season with the teams, and that is it. The sport doesn't help us from that point of view - to test and understand where we are at, but the tyres are reliable."

Pirelli is due to conduct another private test in its modified Toyota car with Lucas di Grassi at Jerez next month.

• Admin
Mark Webber claimed his first pole position since last year's Belgian Grand Prix in qualifying in Spain.

The Australian beat his Red Bull team-mate Sebastian Vettel to the top spot as the duo mounted an intra-team battle nearly a second clear of all their rivals.

Both chose to make just one Q3 run, with Vettel - who had been suffering an apparent KERS issue earlier in qualifying - setting a 1m21.181s before Webber beat it with a 1m20.981s. Under no threat from anyone else, they then sat out the remaining five minutes of the session.

Lewis Hamilton escaped a big lock-up on his best lap to take third for McLaren, which looked set to fill row two until Fernando Alonso produced his best qualifying effort of 2011 so far to take fourth from Jenson Button. Felipe Massa was back in eighth in the second Ferrari, 0.9s off Alonso.

Vitaly Petrov was an impressive sixth for Renault, just ahead of Nico Rosberg, whose Mercedes team-mate Michael Schumacher chose not to go for a time in Q3.

Pastor Maldonado showed his strongest Formula 1 form yet to make it to Q3 for the first time - and only the second time for Williams this year - and was just off Massa's pace in ninth.

The Toro Rossos and Saubers will share rows six and seven, but the most notable result of Q2 was that Heikki Kovalainen got Lotus into the second part of qualifying for only the second time in the team's history. He then went on to beat the Force Indias to 15th place, though the latter team had played it conservatively and opted to only use hard tyres in Q2, saving more softs for the race.

Kovalainen's progress was not just due to Lotus having made a step forward this weekend, for two big names dropped out in Q1. A gearbox problem stranded Rubens Barrichello (Williams) in 19th place while despite Renault's best efforts, Nick Heidfeld's fire-damaged car could not be repaired in time for qualifying.

Jarno Trulli only just made it out in Q1 due to a gearbox issue but still manged to grab 18th, and a hydraulic problem gave Jerome D'Ambrosio some scores before the Virgin driver scraped in with a time 0.2s quicker than the 107 per cent cut-off, placing him behind the Hispanias.

Qualifying

Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m20.981s
2. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m21.181s + 0.200
3. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m21.961s + 0.980
4. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m21.964s + 0.983
5. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m21.996s + 1.015
6. Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m22.471s + 1.490
7. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m22.599s + 1.618
8. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m22.888s + 1.907
9. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 1m22.952s + 1.971
10. Michael Schumacher Mercedes
Q3 cut-off time: 1m23.026s Gap **
11. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m23.231s + 1.691
12. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m23.367s + 1.827
13. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m23.694s + 2.154
14. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1m23.702s + 2.162
15. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Renault 1m25.403s + 3.863
16. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercede 1m26.126s + 4.586
17. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercede 1m26.571s + 5.031
Q3 cut-off time: 1m25.874s Gap *
18. Jarno Trulli Lotus-Renault 1m26.521s + 3.561
19. Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1m26.910s + 3.950
20. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1m27.315s + 4.355
21. Tonio Liuzzi HRT-Cosworth 1m27.809s + 4.849
22. Narain Karthikeyan HRT-Cosworth 1m27.908s + 4.948
23. Jerome D-Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth 1m28.556s + 5.596
24. Nick Heidfeld Renault No time

107% time: 1m28.767s

* Gap to quickest in Q1

** Gap to quickest in Q2[/code]

Ferrari has downplayed the impact of the FIA's decision to not allow the Italian squad to use its new rear wing in the Spanish Grand Prix.

The governing body ruled on Saturday that the higher-than-normal flap extension on the rear wing was breaching the regulations and so the team was asked to remove it.

Fernando Alonso, however, said the impact of not being able to use it is minimal.

"It was one of the new parts that we had for this race, but they decided we couldn't use it and so we removed it," said Alonso.

"It was a part that gave us a little improvement but we are talking about no more than a tenth or a tenth and a half so it's no drama to have to remove it."

Ferrari's technical director Aldo Costa added: "We are speaking too much about this little detail. It was a detail, so it was not a big issue with or without, to be honest."

Costa insisted Ferrari believed the wing was still legal despite the FIA's decision.

"For us, the detail was legal. But you have many clarifications with the FIA, many interpretations. There was a change of opinion, so you ahead. It was a small detail and it was not a case of us pushing for it, we removed it. It was a small detail."

Heikki Kovalainen fears that he will fall behind both Force Indias on the run to the first corner of the Spanish Grand Prix because Team Lotus is not running KERS.

Lotus is one of only three teams, along with Virgin and HRT, not running the hybrid system, which offers an 80bhp power boost for 6.7s per lap.

After earning a 15th place start - the team's best qualifying performance in a dry session and equal to their best showing in Malaysia last year – the Finn expects to be on the defensive at the start despite outqualifying both Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta.

"They will have passed before the braking, if we all do the same starts," said Kovalainen when asked by AUTOSPORT where he will be at the first corner.

"The power of KERS is a lot and their straightline speed advantage is quite high anyway. That's one area where we are losing a lot because our aero efficiency is not very good here."

Kovalainen added that he is hopeful of being able to keep the Force Indias behind him in the early laps if he does make it to the first corner ahead. But once the DRS is enabled, he will struggle to do so.

"I am on the clean side and starts have been very good for us, so if I can get to the exit of the corner ahead I can stay ahead.

"But once they start using the DRS after a couple of laps, it will be difficult to keep them behind because their straightline speed advantage is 15-20km/h."

Post-qualifying press conference:

[spoiler]TV UNILATERALS

Q. Mark, it is not your team-mate for once. Your first pole of the season and your first since Belgium 2010. How did you do that?

Mark WEBBER: Well it was a good session. I think it was pretty clear going into qualifying we might have had a bit of margin so it was going to be probably down to Seb and I, maybe, for the front row. Without being arrogant, but it just looked like that. You can never underestimate these guys but we thought we were probably going to battle for pole between ourselves. We got through on the first set of hards so that was nice to do that. Some other people did as well. Then coming to the crucial part of qualifying it was just getting the lap right for Q3 so that lap was pretty good. I was just praying my number went above number one when I crossed the gantry over the start-finish line and it did. It was a nice lap. It was a good battle with Seb and today was my day.

Q. Was it important for you to be second out on the track to Sebastian so you knew what you push for, what you had to achieve?

MW: I don't have a clue what time Sebastian does. You don't know if he makes a mistake or if he does a phenomenal lap or whatever. You have just got to take control of yourself and get the job done.

Q. Sebastian, I suppose the consolation is that this is your 10th consecutive front row start. But how disappointing is it that your run of pole positions has come to an end?

Sebastian VETTEL: Well I don't think we can speak of big disappointments. At the end of the day I think we made a good step forward. Barcelona is usually the place where everyone brings a lot of parts and you are here to find out if all of them work. I think we did a step so did the others, but it looks like we like this track and our car feels very comfortable. In quali itself, Q1 I did not really get into the rhythm immediately so it was not the smoothest run but I made it on the primes. Then Q2 I felt much happier on the soft compound and unfortunately then the last qualifying I lost a little bit too much. I wasn't entirely happy with my lap. We had some problems. Mark did a good job so it was between us and he did a better job today. We see tomorrow. It is a long race. We saved a set of tyres, so did I think the top three and Jenson (Button) as well so we will see what we can do tomorrow.

Q. Talking of problems. Was it KERS? You didn't use it on your final run. How much did you lose from it and how big a problem could that be in the race?

SV: Well I am not afraid. In the race I think we will be on top of it again. It seems to be a bit of an endless story. The guys are pushing very hard and I think we did an exceptional job today. We proved that our car has become quicker. We had a quick base but we made it even better so big compliments to the aero department in the factory and to all the guys. Yes, we are working very hard on the KERS. No, I didn't use it for Q2 and Q3 but I am sure we will have it tomorrow. It is difficult to say. It is not right to say I did not have KERS that is why Mark is on pole. I think he deserved pole. He did a better job today but surely it was not ideal.

Q. Lewis, third place in the current climate I am sure was exactly what you were hoping for. But you were pushing very hard and made a slight error into turn 10 that may have flat-spotted one of your tyres. Can that be a concern for the race?

Lewis HAMILTON: No, I don't think it will. I do have a slight flat spot but fortunately I can start on those tyres and we can rebalance the wheel so it shouldn't be a problem for the race. But, no, very happy with today's result. Obviously you can see the gap between ourselves and the Red Bulls has increased. However, we have improved this weekend so the guys have been working extremely hard. Fortunate just to stay ahead of the Ferrari. That was very close.

Q. Looking ahead to tomorrow's race. We have seen more overtaking in 2011 and this track could be the acid test for the new regulations. Do you think your race pace is good enough to keep with Sebastian and Mark?

LH: No. No. They have got a second in qualifying, probably a second and a bit. But we will push as hard as we can. Obviously we have got to push to the amount where you also save your tyres through the run. We have been closer in the previous races so I anticipate we will be much closer than one second but whether or not it's within a tenth or so we will wait and see.

Q. Mark, pole last year and winner here last year. I am sure you would love a repeat?

MW: Absolutely, yes. I can go and relax tonight, have a good sleep, and come back and do the best job I can tomorrow. I am looking forward to it. It should be a good race. As you say, a lot of changes from previous years with the tyres and the rear wing around here but in the end I have got a lot of experience already from the first few races and looking forward to trying to get the victory tomorrow.

PRESS CONFERENCE

Q. Mark, from what you were saying a couple of days ago we must assume all has gone perfectly so far?

MW: Yeah, it was a pretty good Friday. Nice build up this morning and got a reasonable lap in the end there. It was nice to get a clean lap and get a reasonable lap time down. You never know if it was quite enough but today it was. Obviously Seb did not have the smoothest of days so that can happen. I have had plenty of those. That's the way it goes sometimes. We are both on the front row so great for the team. We didn't bring any developments here but we just brought the new spark plugs but it seems like everything is working in the right direction. The guys have done a great job at the factory. Again it is a credit to all the team. We can get very, very blasé with these type of performances but it is down to a lot of hard work from everyone at Milton Keynes and also Renault, endless effort from them as well at Viry. Seb and I are working reasonably hard as well so in the end good result for the team and we're in reasonable shape for tomorrow's race.

Q. Your seventh pole position and last year you were again on pole here and you became the 10th winner from pole in 10 years.

MW: I hope we make it 11. I think it is a different Barcelona grand prix tomorrow, like we have not seen before. For sure there will be a few lead changes, here and there maybe. I hope not too many, but if I am in this position coming round the last corner then, of course, I will be happy.

Q. Talking of the last corner. Another journalist asked, did you use the wing in the last corner. Was it open?

MW: Yep.

Q. It is thought that perhaps you were the only team to do that.

MW: Yeah, it is not easy. I don't know if I opened the lap with it but I think I might have closed the lap with it, but you have got to concentrate. The car is good, no question about it. We have a good car aerodynamically, there is no secret about it, and we know how to get the car to perform well in most conditions. This is what we decided to do today and we won't leave much change on the table in terms of performance wherever we can. We try to give the maximum. If the corner is a corner which you can take in that style then we will try.

Q. Sebastian, how much were you were hurt by this morning. You didn't do one lap.

SV: Yeah, not much. Nothing big. We had to fix the car a bit and I didn't get too much of an impression of the car. We planned some things to test but couldn't do that, but nothing big. After we fixed the car, the boys did a good job, and at least I had one lap so nothing to worry about for today or tomorrow.

Q. An amazing lap as well.

SV: Probably better than the one in quali in Q3. It was important to get the lap. This afternoon was a bit more difficult. Initially in Q1 I didn't feel too happy. Lost a bit too much. Q2 on the soft compound I felt much more comfortable and then in the last run maybe didn't do the best lap of the weekend. Lost a bit too much time.

Q. The race itself, how do you see that?

SV: It is long. Is it 66 laps? It is a long time I guess and as we have seen so far there are a lot of things that can happen in the race so it is over when it's over, not before. Usually around Barcelona it is quite tricky. I had some races where I followed one or the same car for 60 out of 66 laps and it was not very entertaining but I think tomorrow could be quite different.

Q. Lewis, Fernando Alonso was very close at the end there. Was that a surprise for you?

LH: Not really. We knew they were going to be quick. When we looked in Q2 they didn't look to be that close then all of a sudden in Q3 they were a lot closer. But it doesn't matter now. It is the pace we have in the race and it is going to be interesting how close we are and if we are able to stay ahead of them.

Q. You have been quite a critic of the harder tyres. What are they going to be like to race on?

LH: I think on that side of things I really was just joking. It was a bit of a disaster to drive yesterday with the balance of the car that I had and I think everyone was struggling to switch on the tyres. If you look at the season so far Pirelli have done an incredible job really. I think we have all underestimated how good a job they would have done and when we got to the first race the tyres were fantastic. These tyres, the super hard, isn't as good as the hard tyre that we had previously but hopefully tomorrow they will go longer, which will still allow exciting racing. I did say it was a disaster, but I was really referring to the balance of my car and I think they are pretty good.

Q. Was there more time in the car this afternoon?

LH: No, that was as fast as it was going to go. We made some changes going into qualifying with the set-up, which was the wrong change basically, and the car was quite a bit worse in qualifying than it was in P3. But you are stuck with it and you have to go through qualifying and the race with it but it would only be maybe a tenth or two if you were to improve the set-up. But I did the best I could with it and the team, as always, did a great job getting us out in good gaps so I am looking forward, hopefully, to a good battle, at least for the first 100metres with the Red Bulls. After that with whoever is behind.

Q. (Matthias Brunner - Speedweek) After what Lewis said, lots of people complained yesterday about the harder tyre. From what you learned today, do you expect a better performance during the race or rather similar?

MW: I think it will be similar. We've been testing those tyres for a few events now and it was pretty clear, in Sepang, that they behaved a bit differently because the track temperature in Sepang is different to here, even though the track here is nice and warm. It's a bit of a dangerous game with that tyre because, particularly if McLarens and Red Bulls want to put an option on in Q1, then we send maybe two or three teams home so that's maybe not ideal for some people. So we need to keep an eye on that. And also, we need to be careful in Formula One with our long run pace that we don't get too close to the other categories in terms of lap times. We still need to be (the) pinnacle, we need to be able to push the cars to the limit throughout a grand prix and have very strong lap times in grands prix, man against the machine, and push the car to the limit. So as long as we can keep doing that then that's good, but I (don't) think the long runs on Friday were particularly impressive for a Formula One car round here. If you look at a GP3 lap time, I think they did a 1m 38s and some of my laps at the end of my long run were 1m 30s, so eight seconds, and I think the budget's a little bit different. We need to keep an eye on that. Pirelli are working hard but we need to make sure the degradation and pace is still of a sensible magnitude and the cars can be put on the limit and not get too far to the showbiz side of things.

LH: Too slow at the moment, isn't it? Well, maybe not for you guys but for us.

Q. (Frederic Ferret – L'Equipe) Mark, we saw you waiting in your car after your lap. Were you thinking of having another run or were you waiting in case Seb was going to go out?

MW: They were thinking of another run with Seb, so we waited to see and then they said no cars will go again because it was pretty clear that... I mean, Lewis is a phenomenal driver, but I think it was going to be pretty difficult for him to get us from there, so we were pretty confident that we would still have the front row, so we decided not to go again. That's why we waited in the car for a minute or so, it wasn't too long, didn't get straight back out.

Q. (Oleg Karpov – Klaxon) Lewis, was it actually possible for you to go through the last corner with the wing open?

LH: No. Mark was just explaining that even though he's got the wing engaged, it's not that it's too easy, but for us, we're flat out without the wing engaged and it's quite difficult. A slight difference in downforce but that's actually good because it gives an indication of how much downforce they have, considering you generally lose 30 points or something when you engage the wing, something of that magnitude.

Q. (Michael Schmidt – Auto, Motor und Sport) Lewis, it looked as if on your last outing you flat-spotted the left front tyre. Is it as bad as in Malaysia, or can you count on that tyre tomorrow?

LH: No, nowhere near as bad as Malaysia. Malaysia wasn't really too bad, but we were overly cautious – or the engineers were overly cautious going into the race. But no, there's no way that they could put me on another set of tyres for tomorrow. They think the tyres will be fine, we just need to re-balance them a little bit. That's one of the limitations of our car. Since I've been in the team we've always had lock-ups – it almost as if other teams look as if they have ABS brakes, because they never lock up like we do. But it's something that we're trying to improve and it is much, much better this year. But yeah, when you're trying to eke every little bit out of the car, you sometimes happen to lock the front wheel. I did, but hopefully it won't impede my race tomorrow.

Q. (Don Kennedy – Hawkes BayToday) Sebastian, you were seen in Parc Fermé having a good look at Alonso's Ferrari. Was there anything that you saw there that interested you, because I would have thought that given the time differences there wasn't much for you to worry about?

SV: It looked interesting. I think everyone brought some new stuff. It's nice to see our exhaust more than twice in the pit lane! It's the usual game. Obviously, I'm not working in the aerodynamic department but it's nice to have a closer look, because usually, for us, it's very difficult to get close and in Parc Fermé there are no mechanics around, pushing us away so it's easier.

Q. (Bob McKenzie – Daily Express) Lewis, if these guys get away cleanly tomorrow and don't have a problem in the race, do you see any way that you can get ahead of them?

LH: Ah, I've just been thinking about it. The old circuit is still there, the last two corners so I could maybe use the last two corners and then I will be able to match their pace maybe, if I don't take the chicane. But otherwise, no. Q. (Bob McKenzie – Daily Express) And if Sebastian's KERS isn't working, for some reason, at the start, do you think you can get him there and get one place?

LH: It's always possible. Our KERS seems to work quite well. It's always possible to overtake if he doesn't have it, but then without a doubt he will be on my tail for quite some time and eventually find his way past, I'm sure. Q. (Bob McKenzie – Daily Express) Is it despondent, is there despondency when you see two guys as fast as they are, that you will be in a separate race, won't you?

LH: No. You know, Formula One, as Mark was saying, is the pinnacle of motor sport and nothing comes easy. At the moment, they've just done a better job and every single team is trying their hardest to catch up and we're second quickest at the moment, so we can't complain too much. I just hope that at some stage we can find a significant improvement in the car in terms of downforce, that we can have a proper race with these guys.

Q. (Livio Oricchio – O Estado do São Paulo) Mark, what happened that you came back, fighting for pole position? Do you understand how to use the tyres better over one lap or is it a question of adaptation to the circuit?

MW: Probably a little bit of both, actually. I'm getting a better understanding of the tyres more and more. Obviously, they're new for everybody and it's up to everybody to get on top of them. Also, I wasn't particularly slow in Sepang and also in China, but we didn't have the smoothest of weekends in terms of the car, technically, so, whether it was not the best qualifying strategy in terms of tyres or blah, blah, blah, then you're at the back of the grid, or you don't have KERS at the start – all those little things add up. Seb's also done a good job. Turkey was a fair weekend and I wasn't as close as this. Obviously, Seb didn't have the smoothest day today but also there's still an improvement from my side. I don't mind the track here so I hope that I can start being a bit more competitive now. A few things together have added up, it's small margins as we know. It doesn't take much and before you know it you're back in the ball game.

Q. (Matthias Brunner – Speedweek) Lewis, what is the best remark today about your new overalls?

LH: I've got a word in my head but I can't use it! Umm… colourful!

Q. (Michael Schmidt – Auto, Motor und Sport) Sebastian, how big was the temptation at the end to give it another try for pole position, and is that one set of fresh tyres you saved so important or more important than to give up a potential pole position?

SV: Well, we will find out tomorrow. In the end we decided that staying in the garage is more important than probably swapping from right to left on the grid. Why did we do it? Because there was quite a big margin to the people behind, plus they saved their set of tyres. I'm generally a bit against the temptation that, for tomorrow, it's all clear, it's either one or the other car, but surely a Red Bull. A grand prix is a long, long way, it's a long distance, it will be tough tomorrow and the McLaren is very competitive in the race. So is Ferrari. I only want to remind you of the pace they had in qualifying two weeks ago in Turkey and then on Sunday. You cannot take anything for granted tomorrow, but surely the temptation was big, because I wasn't happy with my lap. It's a different story when you get everything 100 per cent right and you feel that you have reached your maximum, and then you're still a tenth or two behind. I think you are much more relaxed when you jump out, but in that case I was actually keen to go again, just to prove it to myself but I didn't get the chance today. Maybe (I'll) get it tomorrow.

Q. (Frederic Ferret – L'Equipe) Mark and Seb, do you agree with Lewis that victory is for a Red Bull tomorrow?

MW: I hope so. Obviously, we need the cars to run well. Eventually, we can see that with these regulations, the fast cars can still get through, whatever sometimes happens in the first part of the race. It's not like the old day when if you lost 10 seconds somewhere in the race, then you could maybe get stuck behind someone. If all goes well and smoothly, then of course we should be able to go for the victory, but you never, never know. We had Turkey last year: there were a few races last year when Lewis was maybe not as strong in qualifying and in the race I couldn't get rid of him. But I hope it's not like that tomorrow. [/spoiler]

I feel hopeful now as this is a track you would expect Red Bull to dominate at yet Mclaren were right up there again. Looking forward to Monaco next, although I suspect another Red Bull win will occur.

Edited by Sam

• Admin
Sebastian Vettel resisted huge pressure from Lewis Hamilton to take his fourth victory of the year in the Spanish Grand Prix.

Jenson Button bucked the four-stop trend and made a three-stop strategy work to take third, while polesitter Mark Webber ended up back in fourth and Fernando Alonso slumped to a lapped fifth after gloriously leading the first two stints of the race.

Webber's pole advantage only lasted a few yards as Vettel was immediately all over him off the line. As the two Red Bulls battled, the fast-starting Alonso (Ferrari) picked up sliced down the inside of both of them and sent the crowd ecstatic by taking the lead of his home grand prix.

That was where he would stay for the first two stints of the race, as though Vettel, Webber and Hamilton were right behind him, with the DRS not proving as dramatically effective in Spain as it had in Turkey, and with Ferrari enjoying good performance out of the final corner and on the straight, Alonso was able to keep his pursuers at bay.

Vettel tried to jump ahead by pitting one lap sooner for his first tyre change - but he emerged into traffic. Despite diving past Button (who had fallen to 10th with a slow start), Massa and Rosberg in the space of one dynamic out-lap, Vettel still found himself back behind Alonso when the Ferrari rejoined.

But at the second stops on laps 17 and 18, Red Bull's tactics worked out perfectly, and an extra lap on new tyres was sufficient to give Vettel a clear lead.

While Webber pitted at the same time as Alonso and stayed behind the Ferrari, McLaren tried something different and kept Hamilton out until lap 22, which jumped him past Alonso and Webber from fourth to second.

Vettel and Hamilton then pulled away in unison, as Alonso dropped ever further behind and kept Webber tucked up behind him. Both were then passed by Button in quick succession mid-race as the McLaren's three-stop strategy meant it was on soft tyres while Alonso and Webber were grappling with the hards.

Webber finally got past Alonso at the final stops, when the Red Bull stayed out a full eight laps longer and had no trouble getting ahead of the fading Ferrari, which began to lap 3s off the pace late on as it struggled badly with the hard tyres and was eventually lapped.

While Webber proved unable to catch Button for third, Hamilton got ever closer to Vettel in the closing laps, with the Red Bull radio traffic suggesting that again the car's KERS was only working intermittently.

There were some very tense and close moments, but there would be no repeats of China's late position change, as Vettel hung on to win by just 0.6s.

Among the lapped multitudes, Mercedes team-mates Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg had a tough race-long battle for sixth, with the elder German staying ahead.

Nick Heidfeld was all over the back of them at the end, making excellent use of a clever strategy and abundant fresh tyres to fly through from the back of the grid in the Renault.

The two Saubers completed the scorers, Sergio Perez taking his first Formula 1 points in ninth and Kamui Kobayashi doing well to recover from a first-lap puncture to take 10th.

Felipe Massa struggled all afternoon, and after a mid-race spin and a slide towards the foot of the top 10, he finally dumped his Ferrari in the gravel with six laps to go.

Paul di Resta got as high as fifth with a very strong opening stint on hard tyres, but did not have the pace later on to turn that into points, ending up 12th, behind Vitaly Petrov - another man to lose speed and places as the race progressed after leading the Mercedes at first.

Lotus showed its best race pace yet and had both cars in the top 10 for a while thanks to long first stints on soft tyres, but later faded, with Jarno Trulli only 18th and Heikki Kovalainen crashing out at Turn 4.

There would be no joy for Williams - Pastor Maldonado lacked race pace and slumped to 15th and Rubens Barrichello's charge from the back never materialised, not helped by a slow first pitstop he finished only 17th.

PROVISIONAL RACE RESULTS

The Spanish Grand Prix
Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain;
66 laps; 307.104km;
Weather: Sunny.

Classified:

Pos Driver Team Time
1. Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1h39:03.301
2. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes + 0.630
3. Button McLaren-Mercedes + 35.697
4. Webber Red Bull-Renault + 47.966
5. Alonso Ferrari + 1 lap
6. Schumacher Mercedes + 1 lap
7. Rosberg Mercedes + 1 lap
8. Heidfeld Renault + 1 lap
9. Perez Sauber-Ferrari + 1 lap
10. Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari + 1 lap
11. Petrov Renault + 1 lap
12. Di Resta Force India-Mercedes + 1 lap
13. Sutil Force India-Mercedes + 1 lap
14. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 1 lap
15. Maldonado Williams-Cosworth + 1 lap
16. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 2 laps
17. Barrichello Williams-Cosworth + 2 laps
18. Trulli Lotus-Renault + 2 laps
19. Glock Virgin-Cosworth + 3 laps
20. D-Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth + 3 laps
21. Karthikeyan HRT-Cosworth + 4 laps

Fastest lap: Alonso, 1:26.727

Not classified/retirements:

Driver Team On lap
Massa Ferrari 60
Kovalainen Lotus-Renault 49
Liuzzi HRT-Cosworth 29

World Championship standings, round 5:

Drivers: Constructors:
1. Vettel 118 1. Red Bull-Renault 185
2. Hamilton 77 2. McLaren-Mercedes 138
3. Webber 67 3. Ferrari 75
4. Button 61 4. Renault 46
5. Alonso 51 5. Mercedes 40
6. Rosberg 26 6. Sauber-Ferrari 11
7. Heidfeld 25 7. Toro Rosso-Ferrari 6
8. Massa 24 8. Force India-Mercedes 4
9. Petrov 21
10. Schumacher 14
11. Kobayashi 9
12. Buemi 6
13. Sutil 2
14. Di Resta 2
15. Perez 2

All timing unofficial[/code]

Lewis Hamilton, Jenson Button, Mark Webber and Jaimie Alguersuari were under investigation following the race, having failed to slow down for yellow flags, but escaped being penalised.

Really good race. Hooray for Perez registering his first legal points!

The possible extension of the Formula 1 calendar into December to try and help accommodate the return of the Bahrain Grand Prix has been labelled as a step too far by Mercedes GP boss Ross Brawn.

As AUTOSPORT revealed last week, F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is looking at the possibility of moving the Indian GP to December 4 so that the Bahrain GP can be held on October 30.

Although no final decision on that matter has been taken, with the FIA due to make a decision on June 3, Brawn fears the implications on his staff of stretching the season into December.

"I think as a team principal who works and has to look after the group of people we have, you have to remember they have been going since the end of January," explained Brawn.

"We don't have testing any more so these guys have been very, very busy since the end of January, and I think to take them through to December and then get them going again at the end of January, we won't sustain it. We won't keep the people - they will get fed up, their families will get fed up and it will all prove to be too much.

"We cannot have two teams. We could [in theory] make a step to have two teams, like they do in NASCAR or other series, but with the RRA [Resource Restriction Agreement] we are restricted about the number of people we can have, so we cannot structure our organisation with two separate race teams."

He added: "I think we have to think about it very carefully because we are reaching a limit on what we can subject our people to. They have been going at it since the end of January as previously winter testing was handled by the test team. We don't have that option any more - the race team has to do that.

"So, to tell them to carry on through to December and then they can have a few weeks off over Christmas and it starts again is not going to be sustainable."

Williams technical director Sam Michael insists that the team is seeking clarity on whether or not 'hot-blowing' exhaust blown diffusers are legal, rather than pushing for the system to be banned.

Williams played a part in triggering FIA technical delegate Charlie Whiting's decision to ban the system in the build-up to this race, a move that was subsequently put on hold subject to Technical Working Group discussions next month.

But despite believing that the concept, in which the exhaust continues to be blown while the driver is off the throttle to maximise downforce under braking and at corner entry, is illegal, the team is willing to continue to develop its system if the FIA deems it permissible.

"The reason why we asked the question of Charlie is that we didn't know," Michael told AUTOSPORT. "There is a strong enough argument on both sides. There is a reasonable argument to say that it is illegal and that certainly appears to be the view of the FIA, even though they have given this delay.

"Charlie's view on it is very clear - they do not consider it to be legal. But I can see why other people can say that there are vagaries in the rules. The important thing is that the decision shouldn't be clouded by not interfering with a championship. It's either legal or illegal.

"Being selfish, I would like them to ban it so that it means we can go and spend the money on something else. That's where we are at the moment. But if they don't, we will just crack on and do it."

"If it's illegal, then people should stop doing it, including Williams. When something like this comes up, people say there is manipulation, but that's not the case at all."

Michael added that his biggest concerns relate to the costs of developing a hot-blowing diffuser to the exploit the full potential of the concept. He believes that this would not only raise costs, but have a huge influence on the design direction of F1 cars in the future.

"Whether we end up with it or without it, I don't mind, as long as it goes through a thorough process of saying where this is going to end up," said Michael. "That is one of our biggest concerns. We have what we have got now, but what we have presented to the FIA is where we are going to end up in six months or a year's time.

"We would have to invest a lot of money with Cosworth to complete a full hot-blowing engine running. It would take serious cash and that was one of the reasons for making sure that if we do this we don't spend the cash and then be told that it is illegal. At the moment we are cold blowing and the extent of hot blowing we would like to do is significant."

Although Michael believes that the system is illegal, there is dissent among the teams, many of which believe that the concept of hot-blowing the diffuser should be allowed to continue.

Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn is hopeful that the FIA will not rule it illegal, adding that teams cannot forget what they have learned and will inevitably use the exhaust gases for aerodynamic advantage however the regulations are framed.

"I don't have a big problem with it," said Brawn. "Cars have had blown diffusers for years and, as is the nature of F1, we try and get the maximum from it. I don't think we can put the genie back in the bottle, so thinking that we will come up with some regulations that will stop people using technology that they have discovered and enhanced is naive.

"Someone said to me we should put the exhaust pipes where it doesn't make any difference. Well, if you can me where that is I would be impressed - as wherever you put them they make a difference. I think we need to have a sensible approach, listen to the concerns that teams have who seem to have raised the issue and see if we can find solutions."

Brawn believes that the cost argument does not hold water, contending that after the initial investment in development it is relatively cheap to run a hot-blowing exhaust.

"I don't think what is being done is particularly expensive once you come to terms with the technology. You have to find the right heatproof materials and I don't think it is exceptionally expensive.

"This sort of technology we are using is no different to what we were using last year or the year before, so it is not extravagant. And really with RRA [the resource restriction agreement], if you want to spend your money on exhaust systems or windtunnel time or whatever, that is your decision."

HRT boss Colin Kolles believes he will be left with no other option but to lodge a formal protest against rival teams over the use of off-throttle blown diffusers next weekend in Monaco if the situation is not sorted out before the race.

Kolles abandoned plans to introduce his own version of a blown diffuser for the Spanish Grand Prix after the FIA initially announced plans to make the use of them when drivers were not on the throttle illegal.

However, the FIA changed its mind on the eve of the race after communication with the teams, and instead the matter will now be discussed at the next meeting of F1 think tank, the Technical Working Group.

That decision has not gone down well with Kolles, who reckons that the FIA's interpretation of off-throttle use of blown diffusers should remain in place.

Kolles had refused to rule out the possibility of a protest in Spain, but the gain for his team in doing so after Barcelona was minimal as the team had finished behind closest rivals Virgin Racing - so any exclusions would have helped them instead.

Speaking to the BBC about the ongoing situation, Kolles said: "The only reason why we are not considering [here] is because we were not really involved in any sporting decision today. But it is clear that the other cars are illegal.

"We agree absolutely with Charlie Whiting's view and, by the way, we are not the only ones who agree. I think that if this is not going to be stopped before Monaco then we have no other choice."

When asked to clarify what he meant by no other choice, Kolles said: "To make a protest."

He added: "The point is that it has been very clearly stated that it is not corresponding to the regulations. We have studied this, very carefully.

"You cannot influence the aerodynamics with hot exhaust gasses, you cannot influence the aerodynamics by any movement like gas pedals or moving devices on the engine, or whatever. So this is illegal and it brings the other teams a huge advantage."

FIA president Jean Todt has told engine manufacturers that there will be no delay to his plans to introduce smaller turbocharged power-units in 2013 - although there may be room for some compromise in allowing teams to continue using the current V8s for an extra year.

Todt met with representatives of the teams and engine makers in the Barcelona paddock on Saturday to engage in discussions about progress towards the new 1.6-litre units that are in the rules for 2013.

With sources suggesting that Cosworth, Mercedes-Benz and Ferrari wrote a joint letter to Todt to indicate their concerns about pushing ahead with the 2013 rules, there have been questions raised about whether the sport can continue with the plan.

However, with Renault and the new Craig Pollock-led Pure company adamant that they want the new engines in place, there is no unified stance from the competitors in F1 – which means there is continued uncertainty about what will happen now.

AUTOSPORT understands, however, that Todt did make it clear that there will be no going back on the change in 2013 – although, according to Bernie Ecclestone, there is an idea for current V8s to get a period of grace for those unwilling to make the switch.

Speaking to Reuters, Ecclestone said: "What he [Todt] is talking now is about letting the V8s run for a [further] year or something. But I mean, equivalency formulas never work, do they?

"I think he's beginning to understand that the manufacturers all realise it's going to cost them a lot of money and they can't hand that on to their customers because the engines are going to be too expensive."

Although the idea of allowing teams to continue running V8s for a year would be a help for them, it would bring little financial advantage to manufacturers who would still face the expense of developing an engine throughout 2013 in parallel to their on-track efforts.

McLaren duo Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton say that critics complaining about there being too much overtaking in Formula 1 should back off in their downbeat assessment of the sport.

The new DRS, the return of KERS and Pirelli's rubber have all contributed to a much more exciting F1 in 2011, and that has helped produce races with more overtaking moves than have been seen for many years.

But although the frequent overtaking moves have prompted questions about whether or not the purity of F1 has been taken away, Button and Hamilton are adamant that what is being seen now is better than they have known it in the past.

"Ask the public what they think, that is the best answer," explained Button. "They are the people that matter and I think they love the racing.

"I meet people when I go to the shops and everyone is so positive. They said China was the best race they've seen, and then Turkey was the best race ever. It is like it was with the 80s. We are doing something right and we should not be negative about it."

Hamilton added: "People love to see carnage and overtaking, and wheel-to-wheel battles, with smoke coming off when drivers are touching and passing. They don't like to see people following in the train, and the new rules are enabling us to do it.

"They [the new rules] do help, as in the past as fast as you could be, you just could not get close enough to capitalise on it. Whatever you did you were always in the bad air and you could not really race them. It enables you to take opportunity of the true pace of cars and I quite like it."

Button also did not think that the tyre rules - and the way drivers were having to look after their rubber so much - risked making F1 too slow.

"The viewer doesn't know if we do a 1m24s or a 1m35s. It is a show. We need viewers to exist and the viewers have gone through the roof this year. We haven't done anything wrong; we've gone in the right direction."

Michael Schumacher is convinced that he and Mercedes now have all the ingredients they need to be successful in Formula 1 and remains utterly confident that his squad can be a title-winner.

Although Schumacher's second season back in F1 has so far not seen much improvement over his difficult comeback year, he says more progress has been made than the results suggest.

"Probably last year I wasn't where I wanted to be," he admitted in an interview with the official F1 website. "But this year I would say nothing is missing. All ingredients for success are here - we now to have arrange and optimise them.

"Then we will be on the go, just like Red Bull is now. I know that we will do it."

Schumacher reiterated that he never expected Mercedes to immediately continue the results it achieved as Brawn in 2009, suggesting that he always knew the team's title success that year was an anomaly.

"Of course we would have wanted faster development - and a faster swing onto victory lane - after Ross [brawn] had won both titles in 2009," he said. "But that was the exception to the rule. I have been racing long enough to understand that it takes at least three years to push a team to the very top.

"I know that good things come to those who wait. I am absolutely sure we are on the right track and that we are doing all we can to be successful in the end."

He also shrugged off the criticism his form this year has received.

"I am aware that there are many out there mouthing off about me, but I have been in the business long enough to know what is really important - to stay calm and work in a goal-oriented way on what we want to achieve," Schumacher said.

He added: "In reality everything happens so quickly in Formula 1. If I have a good race here, who cares about Turkey two weeks ago? You have to free your mind and not ponder what might have been. It is useless to look back. You have to concentrate all your energy on your goals."

Post-race press conference:

[spoiler]TV UNILATERALS

Q. Sebastian, congratulations, a fourth win in five races and a thrilling, intense battle between yourself and Lewis Hamilton in the closing stages. Give us a taste of your emotions right now.

Sebastian VETTEL: Yeah, it was pretty tough. At the beginning of the race, I think I had a good start but I didn't understand where Fernando (Alonso) came from. He started behind me, some 16 metres behind, and half way down the straight he was already side-by-side. He went on the inside of Mark (Webber) and I went on the outside, so he was leading after the first lap. We couldn't get really close enough to get into the DRS, so we got (no) advantage and (couldn't) pass him but then we got him with a pit-stop. Fairly early, everyone was getting the options out of the way. Then it was basically half of the race left with the hard tyres. McLaren were very strong and Lewis was very strong in particular and they stayed out a little bit longer. A different strategy, which brought them up to second behind us. From then onwards I knew it would be very, very close. Going into the last 10 laps I was feeling a bit like China. I felt my tyres going away and I was praying the same thing would happen to Lewis, as he was catching up. He seemed to be so much quicker, especially in the last sector, so he was always getting into the DRS zone, so he could use his rear wing on the straights. He was sitting for some time on the limiter at the end of the straight but still, sometimes, if you open the straight, it is quite far away. The end of the straight, you look into the mirror and he is there or thereabouts. You don't know if you should defend or not. It was really close. Then, thankfully, in the last two laps I think I got quite a good run in the last sector and enough to make it stick. On top of that we had sometimes KERS on, sometimes KERS off. I was playing around with the buttons and the brake distribution so it wasn't an easy race and obviously McLaren and Lewis especially gave us a very, very hard time. It is quite a big relief when you cross the line or you open onto the main straight and you know there is the chequered flag, and we made it, so I am very, very happy. A great result and after yesterday I think another confirmation that we are very strong. Many people said today would not be a race, but only between Mark and myself. But we have seen, poof, turn one, the Ferraris are there, and then the McLarens gave us a very hard time, so that is why I am even more happy today that we made it as these guys were pushing very hard. I am just happy now.

Q. Lewis, does today McLaren coming home second and third show that when it comes to the racing your team is very much back in it or is there a tinge of disappointment that you couldn't get past Sebastian in the end, no matter how close you were to him?

Lewis HAMILTON: I don't think you can be disappointed with today. The team did a fantastic job throughout with the pit stops and throughout the weekend to get us up there and put us in the fighting position. I didn't get the best start but was able to just keep up with the Red Bulls, with Mark in particular, as I think Fernando was holding the two Red Bulls up. I was able to keep with them just for a while and as the race went on we clearly had some serious pace but it was very, very tough to get past Sebastian in the end. They were massively, massively quick in the high speed turn three, turn nine and through the last corner. His downforce was incredibly clear for me to see. But, nonetheless, I gave it my all to move forward and score some good points and retain second place. It is great for Jenson as well and great for the team points.

Q. Jenson, it wasn't the best of starts. I don't know whether you were planning a three stopper or a four-stop strategy. But the three stop worked for you in the end.

Jenson BUTTON: Yeah, my first lap was an absolute disaster. I got a poor start. It didn't feel too bad but then everyone just came by. I got stuck on the outside of turn one and then turn three. I don't know where I was but I think I was 11th or 12th after the start. Very, very tricky then, and the guy in front was making it very difficult to overtake. But I was able to pick them off and with a fantastic strategy, I would say this race, we were able to get a podium. It was great fun for me coming through and passing Fernando and Mark when they were on the prime tyres and I was on the option and we made the three-stop work. Two weeks ago it wasn't the right call, but this week it was and it is good to get some nice points and also to have fought my way through. I really felt like I raced today.

Q. Sebastian, it's four out of five wins but the fact that once again your KERS was working intermittently, is that becoming something of an annoyance to you at the moment?

SV: Well not in a way. We are pushing very hard and we are giving the guys in the factory a very hard time, as you are sitting in the cockpit and you end up changing maps and changing buttons, which you have to do quite a lot on top of pressing the button. You can see the effect, especially around here onto the main straight it was extremely crucial. When they told me about 10 laps from the end not to use KERS it wasn't the best message I was hoping for. I knew that is what McLaren were waiting for. Some laps to the end I had KERS again which was quite useful. But I don't have to say it here, they know it has to work in the future. Absolutely necessary. I think after the loss of KERS yesterday in qualifying it was a big step that it was working today but we are not there yet where we want to be.

Q. Lewis, qualifying for you. How imperative is it now to get much closer to the Red Bulls and that you can challenge them on a Saturday, not just on a Sunday?

LH: Well, I think in the last race people were saying qualifying is not so important, but clearly it is very important and while strategy can still help quite a lot throughout the race, I think positioning for us, trying to pass the Red Bulls and Sebastian is very, very difficult with the step in downforce they have against us. We are just going to continue to push. Hopefully, we will have something good coming in Monaco next week. It is good to come from this race on a positive foot(ing) going into Monaco, where a driver can make even more of a difference, so hopefully the gap will be even closer from me and Jenson to the Red Bulls.

Q. Jenson, looking to you for Monaco and looking back slightly to this race and another battle with Webber and Alonso for so many laps. Can you envisage that being even tighter on the streets of Monaco?

JB: I don't think you are going to be having fights like we had out on the circuit in Monaco. There is going to be a lot of tyre degradation as we have got the super soft and the soft tyres there, so it is going to be very tricky for all of us but we are all in the same boat. It will make it fun for sure. But lastly, I need to say a big thank you to the team for the pit stops as well. We have been working on them and this race they were much improved as Lewis would probably say from the last race.

PRESS CONFERENCE

Q. Sebastian, how much pressure was Lewis putting on you. Three times he seemed to catch up to you?

SV: Yeah, he did catch up, so ask him how much pressure he tried to put. He tried everything he could. We were in the same boat, just the other way around. We tried to defend, he tried to attack. The start of the race we were very surprised by Fernando and his start in particular. I don't know where he came from. Then he was holding us off a little bit. He did a good job, so I don't think we could have gone massively quicker but it would have helped especially against the McLarens. In hindsight if you look at the race surely you know we were quite aggressive in order to get past. It didn't work the first time, then the second time it did. Lewis was on a new set of tyres for the second stint, which allowed him to catch up and he stayed out even longer. That's how he found his way past Fernando. But if you see 48 laps still to go and you have already had two pit-stops then yeah, it will be a long final three stints. I knew that the time on the primes would be extremely important and McLaren seemed to be quicker, full stop. I don't think we were massively down but when the guy puts some pressure on and then especially gets close enough to get into the zone with the rear wing it helps as it gives you three-tenths per lap. Arguably he is close in the first† sector and he cannot stay that close around the high speed corners but he was pushing a lot. I was hoping to always get enough into the last sector as that is where we seemed to struggle a bit to maintain the gap on the straight. We knew that we were quite slow on the straights plus with 10 laps to go you get the message not to use KERS is not really what you are hoping for. You are hoping for the opposite: we have found a second KERS in the car so use that button! But it wasn't the case. It didn't make it easier but I think even more it shows we kept out heads cool and got the best possible result today, no matter which style. We were hoping for a little bit different race so we need to see where our pace went. But I am very happy. It was a lot of fun. Ten laps to go I thought my tyres are going off, I am on the primes and Lewis is coming from behind very similar to China. This way it was the other way around so I am extremely happy.

Q. Lewis, how much pressure were you putting on Sebastian? How close did you get?

LH: Not close enough, clearly. I never had an opportunity to overtake. I was quite impressed with the job we were able to do today, myself and Jenson, considering that their car is quite a good step faster than ours, particularly in the higher speed (corners). Our race pace really has improved since the last race so that was a positive, but I just wasn't able to follow (Sebastian) through the high speed Turn Three. It was incredible how much downforce he had, a good step on us, and also through Turn Nine and through the last corner. So I was never ever able to get close enough to maintain the gap that I was then able to use the DRS to get by. I'm thoroughly happy with the job (done), the pit stops were much, much better today, I think, for both me and Jenson, and to be able to apply the pressure to a Red Bull, considering the circumstances, is quite an achievement.

Q. You seem to be playing catch-up every stint, three times.

LH: I think our raw speed was... we were faster. If I was able to get past I think I would have been able to pull away. I was really losing quite a lot through the high speed behind but nevertheless, as I said, they are quicker through certain corners and we were quicker through some others, so it was almost balanced.

Q. Jenson, maybe you were a little bit surprised to be on the podium after the first lap?

JB: No, the first lap was a disaster. I got a pretty poor start and three or four cars came past and then braking for Turn One I was on the outside of about three cars and I ran wide and the same in Turn Three. It was a frustrating first lap and then initially, I couldn't overtake the car in front. But once we got up to speed, the pace was good and I was able to make some pretty good overtaking moves. We went for a different strategy to most people which worked very well. I had a lot of fun overtaking Mark and Fernando. They had been fighting for about forty laps, I think, so to come up and overtake them within one lap and then pull away was a lot of fun. It was a fun race - after lap one – and great to get on the podium. I think it really proves how good a job we've done with the car but also as a team, through the pit stops and the strategy, so yeah, I'm happy with the result but it would be interesting to see what would have happened if I didn't have those issues at the start.

Q. And was that three stop strategy planned before the race?

JB: I couldn't possibly say. But as soon as I knew we were on that strategy I was happy, looking at what other people were doing. All weekend we've been saying that the prime is a tough tyre and it's a long way off the option tyre so for me to do a three stop was a no-brainer really, and it worked out pretty well in the end.

QUESTIONS FROM THE FLOOR

Q. (Livio Oricchio – O Estado do Sao Paulo) Jenson and Lewis, it looks like the result is under investigation because Hamilton and Jenson maybe didn't respect the yellow flags, didn't reduce speed as the marshals wanted. I received this information now.

JB: That's not something that's to be talked about here then, is it? But yeah, in a race situation you see yellow flags and you obviously back off. I'm guessing that Lewis did the same.

LH: Yeah, absolutely, you know, but the thing is that we're always going to be getting quicker and quicker and I don't know when the yellow flags were out exactly but I think at the time we were maybe out on fresh tyres, I don't know what the situation was. But if we'd gone quicker in the sector it's only because that was the way the track was going. Of course when you see an incident you obey the rules and try to stay clear of it.

Q. (Michael Schmidt – Auto, Motor und Sport) Lewis and Jenson, have you any explanation why your car was so much better in the race this time? In Turkey, the difference between qualifying and race performance was not as big as it was today.

JB: No, I think is the answer on my side. We obviously have upgrades on the car which have helped our performance compared to the cars behind but yeah, to see such a big difference in qualifying, a second to the Red Bull and then see our pace in the race, I was a little bit surprised. And the car felt better than what we experienced on Friday. I think the circuit came to us a little bit and maybe the temperatures helped. But the car was much better today than it has been. For me, it's got better throughout the weekend which is great.

Q. (Livio Oricchio – O Estado do Sao Paulo) To all of you: were you surprised that all of you fought with Alonso and suddenly he was a lap behind?

JB: One lap?

SV: Yeah, I was surprised. At some stage, I saw into turn seven that there was a Ferrari that went off but it was Felipe and then I think ten or fifteen laps to the end – ten laps from the end – we caught up Fernando and we lapped him. Obviously we passed him, I passed him, I undercut him at the pit stop and Lewis stayed out longer and went past him that way but I don't know. Obviously I had Lewis in my mirrors for the rest of my race so I was quite busy so I don't know what happened to him, but then I saw his number going down on the tower on the straight, but I don't know why there was such a big gap all of a sudden.

JB: I don't think his pace was very good in the race and basically he stayed in front because people couldn't overtake.

Q. (Byron Young – The Daily Mirror) Seb, could you just explain what the crazy frog impression was for, over the team radio?

SV: It's a long story, to be honest. I think the first time we picked it up was in 2009 at Silverstone when we won the Grand Prix there, and then, I don't know. It's a bit of a joke between my race engineer and myself that he comes on the radio and gives this crazy impression and if I feel like it I do it back.

Q. (Mike Doodson – Honorary) Jenson, you mentioned the passing of Mark and Alonso; we don't often see great races here so that was a pretty exciting moment for us, but do you think you caught them by surprise, is that how you got past them? Could you tell us what was the advantage you had?

JB: Well, I was on the option tyre and they were on the prime. I knew, when I caught them, it was going to be very, very difficult to overtake, because Mark was obviously able to use DRS to overtake Fernando, so when you're behind a guy that can use DRS it makes it very difficult to overtake, because he's got the same advantage as you. But I think Mark dropped back a little bit from Fernando and I was able to get in the DRS zone and use DRS and get him into turn one which was a lot of fun, and then I think that with Fernando, I don't think that he expected me to be able to pull alongside out of Turn Ten. I also saved KERS - I was saving it for the end of the lap and it was the perfect opportunity to get on the power and use KERS and it gave me a little boost up the inside. It was fun to make the move, but I still – as most races this year – I still didn't know where I was going to end up. I'd taken third place but we were on different strategies so I wasn't sure where I would end up – but in the end it was a good result.[/spoiler]

• Admin

Some encouraging news on Robert Kubica:

Renault team owner Gerard Lopez says Robert Kubica could assess his fitness by driving in a Friday practice session at a grand prix later this year - but reckons it is highly unlikely that the Pole will be fit enough to race again during 2011.

Kubica is continuing his rehabilitation at home following the rally crash nearly four months ago that left him with multiple injuries including a partially severed right arm.

The doctors treating him have suggested it will be the summer before they can predict a potential date for his Formula 1 return, and Lopez said the door was open for Kubica to participate in a Friday practice session if it would be helpful, even if he was not up to racing this season.

"We'll probably get him to test on a Friday at some point during the year, but I'm sure his return is not possible this year," Lopez told Spanish radio station Onda Cero.

Lopez warned that it was still too early to say if Kubica would even be able to continue his F1 career, let alone to predict his return.

"Robert has survived a spectacular accident and now comes the most difficult part, which is to recover fully, something that no one, not himself, not the doctors, not ourselves, knows if he will achieve," he said.

Lopez added that he was not content with Renault's performance so far this season, as it has tailed off since taking podium finishes in both the first two grands prix.

He said Vitaly Petrov's qualifying result in Spain showed that the car had great potential that was not being realised.

"I wouldn't say we've had a good start," Lopez said. "To me it has been weak because we were aiming higher.

"In qualifying [in Spain], Vitaly lost sixth tenths in the second sector because of a problem with the gearbox, otherwise he would have been in third. And for Vitaly, who is nearly a rookie, to finish third [on the grid] in Barcelona means that the car has the potential to do a lot more.

"The start was good in the first two races, but the rest... We are hoping for podiums, maybe to win a race that's out of Red Bull dominance, and try to finish in third or fourth place in the championship."

Formula 1 drivers will be banned from using the DRS in the tunnel at this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix after the FIA reacted to drivers' concerns on Monday, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

On the back of continued fears from drivers that it could be too dangerous to use the DRS through the tunnel in practice and qualifying, FIA race director Charlie Whiting wrote to the Grand Prix Drivers' Association members on Monday to tell them he agreed with their stance.

To prevent the possibility of drivers being forced to take risks through the tricky right-hander in the tunnel by trying out DRS for a speed boost, Whiting told drivers that he was stamping out the possibility.

The FIA will lay down a ban on DRS between two points on the Monaco circuit - distance markers 1350m and 2020m - which is the area around the tunnel.

DRS use will be free elsewhere and the overtaking zone will be laid out on the start-finish straight - because the more obvious tunnel area was too dangerous.

Whiting had said last weekend that he did not believe that safety matters relating to Monaco were enough to justify banning DRS totally at Monaco.

However, not all drivers agreed with the decision and had continued to lobby him for a unique DRS ban in the tunnel.

"I would love the people at the top to sit in the car and try to do the tunnel with the DRS open," Rubens Barrichello said in Spain.

"In my opinion, they are waiting for something bad to happen. And when it happens, they will just say, 'oh, next year we will not have it for Monaco.'"

Ferrari plans to discuss with Pirelli whether or not a further change is needed to the hard compound tyre for later this season, on the back of the troubles it faced with the rubber in Barcelona last weekend.

Both Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa struggled for grip with the revised hard tyre - and the difficulties were highlighted when Alonso effectively lost a lap to the race leaders when he made the switch to primes in Barcelona.

When asked by AUTOSPORT if the tyre troubles were something that Ferrari had to sort out itself, or something that Pirelli needed to react to, team principal Stefano Domenicali said: "At least you cannot say that Pirelli is working for Ferrari... there were doubts at the beginning, that the company would make sure that the tyres for the team would be perfect!

"Now, apart from that, we need to see what will be the future. We need to work very closely with them, to see if this is the right one that we should have."

Although Ferrari concedes that a lack of downforce on its car is hampering its challenge against Red Bull Racing and Ferrari, Domenicali is not sure that explains the full picture of his team's competitiveness.

"We need to be very cautious," he said. "We have seen so many different things happen in the first couple of races since the beginning, and it is difficult to make a judgement at the moment.

"What we saw in Spain were conditions that needed to have maximum downforce, and we don't have it! We have to multiply the fact that with the hard tyre we were not able to make it work. Remember Fernando was leading for 18 laps – so in 46 laps we were lapped – losing around three seconds per lap. That is difficult to explain.

"I have to say that this was the worst race for us since the beginning in terms of race pace. The last couple of races we were quick, and it is a shame. But we have seen that things are so changeable this year, and maybe the tyre aspect has made a big difference.

"So we need to be cautious. We need to see where we will be in the next couple of grands prix, as we will have different tyres, which are much softer, and different configuration of cars. Then we will see where we are in the championship, because we will not give up."

He added: "The nature of the people in Maranello has to be that they need to push and, if we still see a light, we need to work hard. We want to see if we can keep it alive as long as possible, so we still believe."

Lewis Hamilton is confident that Formula 1's new action-packed nature will continue in Monaco even though the circuit traditionally allows little scope for overtaking.

But he is sceptical about whether the DRS wing will make any difference around the streets of Monte Carlo, and thinks that most of the entertainment will be generated by the varying performance of Pirelli's tyres.

"I'm really looking forward to Monaco this year because I think we'll see a different race from previous years. I think a combination of DRS, KERS hybrid and the tyres will really make the racing come alive, and I'd love to see some overtaking action and some hard racing this year," said Hamilton.

"I think the DRS zone at Monaco is only around 300 metres, so it's pretty short, and not really long enough to enable us to really get enough of a launch on the car ahead.

"I think the aerodynamics will only really start working properly once we've reached the braking zone for Ste Devote, so I don't think we'll see too many DRS-assisted overtaking moves next weekend.

"However, I think the tyres will probably give us the greatest scope for excitement and the best chance of passing."

Hamilton played down fears that tyre wear will be unmanageable as Pirelli's super-soft is used for the first time, and thinks that the tyres will just create scope for more entertainment.

"While I don't think the super-soft and soft compounds will be as critical around Monaco as they were at a place like Turkey, I still think the drop-off we encounter as the tyres go off should create opportunities for overtaking," he said.

"And I don't think the marbles will be as bad as people fear, because they tend to occur at the exits of high-speed corners, and Monaco is generally quite a low-speed track, so I don't think we'll see the build-up that we saw at somewhere like Turkey's Turn 8, for example."

• Admin
Ferrari's technical director Aldo Costa has relinquished his position as the team's technical director on the back of a disappointing start to the season, the Maranello squad announced on Tuesday.

Ferrari said Costa, who had been appointed technical director at the end of 2007, will "take on new responsibilities within the company".

The Italian squad also confirmed a new structure for the technical department, with Pat Fry becoming the director of the chassis side.

Production will be in the hands of Corrado Lanzone, while Luca Marmorini continues to be in charge of engine and electronics.

All of them will report directly to team principal Stefano Domenicali.

Ferrari endured a very disappointing Spanish Grand Prix last Sunday, with Fernando Alonso finishing a lap down despite having led in the early stages.

The Italian squad is currently third in the standings, but 110 points behind leader Red Bull.

Formula 1 bosses believes the excitement of the Spanish Grand Prix is the definitive evidence that this year's rules are a success.

The Barcelona event was tipped as a key point in judging the rules, as the races there have been processional and with little overtaking in past years due to the nature of the circuit.

But with a record 60 passes during last weekend's race, which saw Sebastian Vettel cross the finish line just six tenths ahead of Lewis Hamilton, F1 bosses believe the new rules can now be branded a success.

Renault team boss Eric Boullier admitted he was worried the sporting side would be overshadowed by the show, but he feels the balance is currently the right one.

"For me, since the beginning, I was not a fan, but supporting the new rules. Being outside this paddock before 2010, I always heard people complaining about the lack of overtaking, the lack of action.

"And I think this regulation at least they have brought not only the show... It was my fear that we'd put too much show instead of sport but we still have some sport and some action and we have some more show and we have preserved the sporting aspect.

"So it is a success for me - even if it is a headache for me and all the engineers in the pitlane."

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner hailed the Spanish GP race as a "thriller" and is hoping the rules stay unchanged.

"I think they are working," said Horner. "Barcelona, quite often had the ability to be a drone-a-thon, and after a first corner like that that would have probably been the outcome. I remember two years ago here, Sebastian drove around pretty much looking at the exhausts of Felipe Massa for the whole grand prix, with only one pitstop to deal with that.

"Now this has changed the dynamics and this place has notoriously been difficult to overtake or generate close racing, and it has produced an absolute thriller. The regulations have contributed and created that. Hopefully we don't all decide to change that now."

Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug reckons the rules were already a success before the confirmation in Spain.

"I already did [think rules were a success]. For some guys who complained it was too complicated but to me it is fantastic and works 100%. There is only one mistake with the new rules - that the silver cars are not at the front."

Renault boss Eric Boullier says his team is setting its sights on taking the fight to Red Bull Racing in this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix.

At Monaco last year, Robert Kubica put his Renault on the front row of the grid and battled hard for a podium finish with Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel.

And well aware that the R31 has similar strengths to last year's car, Boullier says Renault's ambitions are being raised for the Monaco weekend.

"I hope we can do it," Boullier told AUTOSPORT. "If the car is good then there is no reason why we should not be fighting from the front. Let's see.

"I think it will be crucial though, like at any race track but especially at Monaco, to qualify at the front. Let's see how we manage the traffic, but I am pretty sure our car will be fast in Monaco."

Boullier is convinced the Renault is much better than its recent results suggest - which he thinks bodes very well for Monaco.

"We were surprised to be honest about the lap of Vitaly in Q3 in Spain," explained the Frenchman. "He had a small mistake with the paddle shift, but he could have clearly ended up in the middle of the top guys.

"So I think Monaco, the way we designed the car, it should be better for there, so we should be closer to the front."

F1 teams are bracing themselves for a strategic nightmare in Monaco – with the possibility that the super soft tyre could lead to a chaotic race because its degradation is so high.

Speaking about the tyre situation, Boullier said: "Nobody knows what will happen. There is the super soft, there are the marbles.

"Depending on the timing of when you will be pitting, you can end up being stuck behind cars – and that will change completely the order of the race. I think it will be more a gamble than we are used to."

Mercedes GP needs to bring bigger improvements to its car if it is going to launch a serious challenge against the front-running Red Bull Racing and McLaren teams later this year.

That is the view of Mercedes-Benz motorsport boss Norbert Haug, who thinks that although the outfit has struggled to consistently get the best out of its package, it must not ignore the fact that it needs to deliver a faster car.

"I think speed wise we should have a better potential I would say," Haug told AUTOSPORT. "The positions were what we could achieve in Spain, and that is okay. But the speed needs to be improved.

"Our first job should be to check whether we extracted in Spain what was possible. I think there is more in the car, and there are specific race tracks, like in Turkey and in China particularly, where we looked very competitive compared to the competition.

"We were not fantastic but we were much closer, much better - and I am not closing my eyes in front of the fact that we need to improve. We need to do that, and stick together as a team.

"These are not [just] words. Ross [brawn] is such an experienced guy, and we have so many good and dedicated people in the team, they are working very hard, doing their best – but we need an upgraded technical package. That is what we are working on – and I think we have good possibilities to achieve that."

Despite his feelings about the improvements Mercedes GP need to deliver, Haug has high hopes for a good performance in Monaco this weekend – where the short-wheelbase W02 could excel.

"We were seriously fast in Monaco last year," he said. "Nico was first in Q2 with one attempt and the others tried two times. Then we got into traffic in Q3 in the later stages, when you have to run.

"In hindsight we should probably have put more fuel in, because you just need to keep going to find a free lap. Hopefully we can do similar things this year, but I cannot promise, I cannot judge. There are lots of cars and the driver is very important there, but if the car gives you confidence then a driver can make a difference."

Pirelli motorsport boss Paul Hembery says two-stop strategies should be feasible in the Monaco Grand Prix, despite the use of the supersoft rubber.

The Italian manufacturer is bringing the supersoft tyres to the Monte Carlo race, where the rubber will make its racing debut this year.

Despite the high level of degradation seen in this year's tyres, however, Hembery is hoping to see drivers stopping just twice during the race, playing down fears of a record number of pitstops this weekend.

"Monaco is one of those circuits where, if you have slip and wheelspin you are in difficulty," Hembery told AUTOSPORT about Monaco's strategy.

"That is often what you get in slow speed corners and you accelerate and get slip so you get a lot of grip from the tyre which is why we went super soft and soft, and pretty similar as to why we have gone that way for Canada.

"If you go with a tyre that is too hard and it is not giving you an advantage from the compound you do get wheelspin and you get excessive consumption of the tyre and that probably for the public is hard to understand as the hard is going to resist more, no matter what you do to it.

"But it is more complex, it is also related to how much wheelspin you get.

"We would like to see a two-stop strategy and based on Melbourne that should certainly be feasible on a low-speed circuit, although Melbourne doesn't have the really tight corners that it has at Monaco, so it will all be related to how much wheelspin we get and we will only see what when we get there."

Hembery also emphasised that drivers will need to nail their qualifying laps if they are going to extract the best from the tyres, as he admits its peak performance will last only one lap.

"The peak of performance is definitely one lap. It will have that characteristic of a qualifying tyre so you will want to put in your best lap straight away and it will be a fast-wearing tyre.

"That is part of the plan, but I have to wait and see what it does in Monaco as I don't want to make a prediction because we have never been there with it. It is not going to be a 15-20 lap tyre for sure."

And the Briton said he is not expecting drivers to save tyres by sacrificing their qualifying this time out.

"I think that won't happen because they will be qualifying on the tyre they have less sets on, so that changes around," he said. "The faster tyre has been the soft one so they want to preserve as many as possible as they have one set left.

"Now with the advent of the new hard tyre that we see here, the new PZero, initial indications are it degrades less and it gives more laps than soft tyre so it takes away that disadvantage where hard didn't give big difference in terms of wear. So you can consider one pitstop left."

• Admin
Formula 1 drivers admit the Monaco Grand Prix will be a wide open race due to the uncertainty about the strategies for the event.

For the first time this year, drivers will be using the super soft tyre during the weekend.

The rubber, which was tested during the winter, is an unknown for all teams, who are unsure about how well it will hold at the Monte Carlo circuit.

McLaren driver Jenson Button conceded getting the strategy right will be very difficult this weekend.

"I really haven't got a clue," said Button during Wednesday's press conference. "We have not run the super soft for a long time, and we haven't run it with the existing tyres. But sure there will be a huge amount of degradation on the super soft.

"Strategy wise it is very difficult to work out what to do. To pick up the right strategy and get into race situation. Here it is going to be up in the air, you really have to think on your feet in the race, whether there is degradation or not."

Williams's Rubens Barrichello admitted the performance of the super soft tyre is a concern after drivers were not happy with it during the winter.

"We really have to wait and see. The super soft was not on the right track when we tested it in Valencia, Jerez and Barcelona. There it was lasting one lap but you have more grip there so you use it harder.

"We have to wait and see. Obviously we might have a reading on Thursday but on Saturday we might have a different reading because the rubber will have come back up."

Michael Schumacher also believes the race will be wide open due to the difficulty to get the strategy right.

"Due to the very different strategies that we apply this year compared to previous years, from my point of view I have no feeling or understanding whether our car will suit this track any better than other tracks. So it will be completely open," he said.

The drivers also backed the way qualifying is working this year, despite the need to save tyres leading to less running.

"I think it is good," said Schumacher. "It is only one lap because the tyres are only good for one lap. I don't think it is a big difference."

Button added: "People are saving tyres so much these days that you are only running once. You are not chucking tyres at the car. Last race we did three runs in Q2/Q3, one lap in each session. I think it is a good system."

British driver Allan McNish will join the stewards' panel for this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix.

Although the FIA had four-time champion Alain Prost as the chosen ex-driver in its official media preview, it is actually McNish who will be joining the panel in Monte Carlo.

The Scottish Le Mans winner will join FIA stewards Lars Osterlind and Jose Abed.

Fernando Alonso says his Ferrari team needs a faster car "immediately" if it is to have a chance of fighting for this year's championships following a poor start to the season.

"Well, it is true that we need to reorganise a little bit inside the team and I am sure that we will do that very quickly because we cannot lose any time," Alonso told reporters on Wednesday in Monaco.

"We need a quicker car immediately to fight for the championship and we will see what we can do. Next year we need to start with a better performance because in 2010 and this year in 2011 we seemed to lose too many points at the beginning of the championship."

However, he refused to rule out fighting for the championship, as he insists it is too early in the season.

"One of the most important things is that we are in race five, we only did five races," he said. "No one can say bye bye to the championship in race five. We need to be confident that we can improve the situation, that we can get good results.

"I remain optimistic that we can turn it around, but it is true also that we need immediately to have a competitive car. At the moment we are struggling too much be a title contender. We are fighting for fifth and sixth positions, and like this it is impossible to fight. There is plenty of time but we need a better car in the next coming races."

The Spaniard also gave his backing to the team's decision to restructure its technical department by changing the role of technical director Aldo Costa.

It is understood Costa's departure came after Stefano Domenicali reacted to the poor start of the season, giving his thoughts about a possible restructuring in consultation with di Montezemolo a month ago.

Alonso said he had "full confidence" in Domenicali's decisions.

"We trust what the team does and we have full confidence in Stefano's decisions, and what is best for Ferrari. The only thing I can say is that I feel a very positive atmosphere today, between the track people, and it is a step to move forward and the team I'm sure.

"All the decisions we make are for the best interests of the team and I am sure this is another one. I have full confidence in this decision and full confidence in the future."

He added: "We saw the difficult start to the season, we saw the difficult performance from the car, and we need a reaction, we need something to make some direction change, and this was maybe the best thing and hopefully in the future we can be more competitive."

The Ferrari driver, who finished a lap down in the Spanish Grand Prix, is confident he will enjoy a stronger outing in Monaco this weekend.

"I think Monaco is so different compared to any other circuit that we always see some surprises here. I remember the Williams being very quick always here in 2004/2005/2006 and even 2008 I think Nico [Rosberg] did a very good race here, and I am confident.

"I think in Spain we were not very competitive but this is a completely different track so we will try to do our best here. Maybe aerodynamics are less important in this circuit, so hopefully we can have a good weekend and score many points."

Red Bull Racing has revised its pitstop procedures ahead of the Monaco Grand Prix, after rival Ferrari shadowed its moves in Spain last weekend.

Mark Webber got trapped behind Fernando Alonso for much of the race in Barcelona - and was unable to jump the Ferrari through strategy after the Italian team called its Spanish driver in every time Webber headed for the pits.

Ferrari's efficiency in copying Red Bull Racing's tactics prompted wild claims from Red Bull's motor sport advisor Helmut Marko that its Maranello-based team was spying on it by hacking its team radio.

Although those views are not shared by other senior team personnel, Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner has no doubts that Ferrari was using legitimate means to copy his team's tactics – which is why it has reacted to ensure it cannot be caught out in a similar fashion again.

"Pitstops are all part of the game and Ferrari's only way to beat Mark was to cover him in the pitstops," explained Horner in Monaco on Wednesday.

"They saw something we were doing that was giving away when we were going to stop, and would call Fernando in – because it couldn't be coincidence that he just happened to stop every time that we called Mark in. That is within the regulations.

"In the end, we made a dummy call. Fernando came in and Mark stayed out, but unfortunately by that time, he had lost so much time to Jenson [button] and Lewis [Hamilton] that the podium was not possible.

"But it is all part of the game and all part of being a team sport – it is only like a dummy pass in a rugby match or any other sporting activity."

Horner said that with some of the team's radio calls to Webber coming at the very last second, the only way that Ferrari could have reacted with its car ahead on the road was if the team had spotted a pre-pitstop action in the Red Bull garage.

"That is why we have changed our procedures this weekend," he said. "I don't know if mechanics were putting their hands in their pockets at the wrong time, or it was someone picking a tyre up.

"But anyway, we have changed our procedures this weekend to be less transparent."

Formula 1 drivers have admitted that there is some concern about the state of the asphalt on the entry to Ste. Devote at Monaco, after the track surface had to be relaid on Tuesday night because of a truck fire.

A blaze onboard a lorry at Monaco's famous first turn on Tuesday caused damage to the track surface right on the racing line, and emergency repairs had to be carried out overnight.

1306345248.jpg

The newly-laid asphalt will have been down for little more than 36 hours before opening practice for Monaco begins - which could lead to the risk of it not having settled in time before F1 cars run over it.

Force India's Paul Di Resta said on Wednesday that that could cause some problems – with the risk of it breaking-up if it has not sealed properly with the surface surrounding it.

"The track was resurfaced there about four weeks ago, and it had obviously settled quite nicely," explained di Resta.

"My concern is that it happened right on the entry and the apex and, with the heat we've got now, with temperatures not going much below 20 degrees and with track temp at 45 during the day, is how that's going to cure.

"But having looked at the patch, I think they've done an amazing job, and it just shows you how efficient they are here. When these guys get together they could teach a lot of different tracks at how flexible you need to be to make places like this happen. The difference overnight is incredible."

Di Resta said he had been on a track walk with the BBC when the lorry fire started – so he witnessed the event for himself.

Drivers worried about Ste. Devote fire"We were stood there watching it," he explained. "I just saw a hell of a lot of smoke, and by the time we got there tyres were popping and jerry cans exploding."

Nico Rosberg believes that the biggest problem with the new area of asphalt could be of the oil coming to the surface.

1306345280.jpg

"It might just make the tarmac oilier or something because it's fresher than the other tarmac around," said the Mercedes GP driver. "That could be a bit of an issue."

Team Lotus driver Heikki Kovalainen added: "It is in an area where potentially you put some stress into the surface because of the grip of the tyre under braking. You are potentially giving the asphalt a hard time. It could be an issue.

"I think we need to keep an eye on it. If it starts to break up, it could become a big issue, so let's see how good a job they have done. Hopefully it works out well, but it's not in an ideal place.

"If it was in the middle of a straight, you wouldn't care about it at all but under braking, in a place where the car is being compressed downhill under braking, it will give the tarmac a hard time."

Despite other's concerns, other drivers were going to wait until first practice before finding out what consequences the new surface would have on running.

Mark Webber said: "I won't go and have a look at it until tomorrow, because I can stand and scrape my foot on it as long as I want but until I drive the car on it I won't know what it is like.

"It's lucky it happened at Monaco though because they are not short of a few bob, so they can just get a truck down there and get on with it."

Formula 1 drivers have backed FIA technical delegate Charlie Whiting's decision to ban the use of the DRS in the tunnel during the Monaco Grand Prix weekend.

Discussions had been held concerning the possibility of banning the DRS entirely, but despite a majority of drivers agreeing to the proposal, its use was not outlawed.

The DRS can be used during Sunday's race, where the activation zone will be on the start/finish straight. However, concerns about the safety of its use through the high-speed right-hand corner that runs through the tunnel forced the decision that it should not be opened there during practice and qualifying.

Former world champion Jenson Button has suggested that using the DRS in the tunnel would inevitably lead to accidents.

"It was necessary," said Button of the decision. "The tunnel is a very slippery place with a lot less grip than the rest of the track and marbles bouncing off the barriers and coming back onto the racing line.

The first person that tried to use DRS in the tunnel was going to put it in the wall. It's a very good idea. It's not going to help overtaking through the tunnel and it's pointless having it. It's an unnecessary danger."

Rubens Barrichello, who has spoken out about the dangers of the DRS in the tunnel before, also backed the decision. He has no concerns about the DRS being used in other parts of the track.

"It was very wise of the FIA to use the DRS, but not in the tunnel," said Barrichello. "We've got to try to overtake, for sure, and there are differences in speed that might make it possible.

"It is very very narrow [in the tunnel]. We've seen in the past people trying to overtake and just crash into each other. I think we need to learn. I'm very happy with the decision that we are not going to be using DRS in the tunnel. The rest of the track is fine."

Renault driver Vitaly Petrov suggested that the danger of using the DRS in the tunnel could have triggered multi-car accidents, with a driver following another car that loses it in danger.

"I think it's a good idea because the tunnel is flat. It's not an easy flat corner, but definitely some people will try to do it flat with the DRS.

"Can you imagine a car crashes and you are behind. It would be a big mess."

Wednesday's press conference:

DRIVERS - Rubens BARRICHELLO (Williams), Jenson BUTTON (McLaren), Nick HEIDFELD (Renault), Nico ROSBERG (Mercedes), Michael SCHUMACHER (Mercedes), Jarno TRULLI (Team Lotus)

PRESS CONFERENCE

Q. Nick, second here in 2005. Renault reckon they are historically good here. What are your thoughts about this race coming up?

Nick HEIDFELD: I am definitely looking forward to it. Renault has been strong here the last couple of years. Robert (Kubica) did a strong job here last year qualifying second and finishing on the podium. Obviously, it is going to be the first time for me with this car here. It seems that our car performs strong over a bumpy surface, which we always have here in Monaco, so it is going to be interesting.

Q. And you have finished nine out of your 10 Monaco Grands Prix. What's the secret to that?

NH: Not crashing into the barriers! I didn't know that. I think that is quite a high rate of finishing and probably that's why even in weak cars sometimes you score points here, so that's obviously quite important.

Q. This year you are saying that tyres are the key?

NH: Well tyres this year have been important in each of the races. For the first time this year we are on the supersoft tyres. We have used them in testing but that was quite a while ago and it is going to be crucial and quite interesting to see how the tyres are going to behave. We will try to use Practice One and Two to get a good understanding for them.

Q. Nico, very much a home race. Your school is next door to the paddock.

Nico ROSBERG: Yeah, it is always very, very special to race here. It is the city I grew up in and my school is one floor above I think, if I am not wrong. Just here.

Q. They are still waiting for you, I think?

NR: It is nice. I really enjoy the track too. I think it is a fantastic track and I have always gone well here so I think we can do really well this weekend.

Q. What's the secret? What's the policy that you have? You said aggressive and precise?

NR: Yeah, it is the combination between the two really. You have to be very aggressive on a street circuit like this and at the same time you cannot afford any mistakes. You need be very precise with the way you are putting the car. It is something I really enjoy.

Q. Your best qualifying is fifth around here and sixth for the last three years I think?

NR: Sixth in the last three years?

Q. Yes, I think so.

NR: Okay, so now it is time to make a big jump forward.

Q. How far?

NR: We will see, but it is definitely possible as the qualifying from the past years I was quicker than where I eventually qualified so if it all goes together I think we will definitely be further forward. Then in the race anything is possible with a lot of pit stops and everything this year with the tyres.

Q. That's the point isn't it, anything is possible? It is no longer predictable or goes according to the formbook does it?

NR: Yeah, even for a track like Monaco now the race will open up things a lot.

Q. Jarno, a former winner in 2004. How special is it to win around here?

Jarno TRULLI: I think special because Monaco is special. The glamour and any driver wants to win here. That was the case in 2004 and now here I am, back again. I always enjoy the streets of Monaco and I have always done well here.

Q. You had a good weekend last week in Spain. Tell us about it?

JT: It was a tough weekend until the race and the race then turned out to be much better. The team is doing a great job as we took some big aero update which eventually showed how close we were with the midfield pack and our, let's say, direct rivals from last year, we lapped them so it just shows how farther we have gone. Now we need a further step in order to be an established midfield runner. Last week was great because for half the race I was battling with the guys in the midfield. Then we fell a little bit apart with the hard tyres. We knew we were struggling with them, but definitely the team is doing a very good job.

Q. Given the demands of this circuit and the fact that is it very different, can you do the same again?

JT: Same or better. We always look to do better. Obviously, Monaco is Monaco. We know anything can happen and it is unpredictable. We have the confidence to think positive and come here and say that we can do better than Barcelona so let's hope we can really succeed. But we won't get any feedback until we have Thursday practice and we get an idea as very often in the past, I remember before this race I was starting on pole and then in this race I was starting on the last row of the grid so it just shows how important the car is around the streets of Monaco.

Q. Michael, a five-time winner here. Seven times starting from the front row. How special is this race?

Michael SCHUMACHER: I guess everybody has the same opinion. It is the race of the year that has the highest emotion and highest prestige.

Q. But is it a race you can predict, particularly this year. It seems predictions are virtually out of the window?

MS: Yep, absolutely. Due to very different strategies that we apply this year compared to probably previous years. From my point of view I have absolutely no sort of feeling and understanding whether our car may suit this track any better than other tracks so it is going to be completely open.

Q. But you had a better race in Spain. Did you enjoy Spain?

MS: I think I enjoyed Spain as much as I enjoyed Turkey in terms of action and in terms of driving. It is just the result I was a lot more happy about.

Q. Which? In Spain?

MS: Yes, obviously.

Q. And you had your mirrors full of Nico as well?

MS: Indeed, yes.

Q. But he was behaving himself?

MS: We had a couple of nice manoeuvres together but I think we are both clever and smart enough to avoid collisions and still have fun on the track.

Q. So no idea of how you are going to go here?

MS: No.

Q. Jenson, a former winner here also but a bit of a problem here last year. And the year you won you were having to run to the podium. Do you remember that?

Jenson BUTTON: Yes and it was because I hadn't been on the podium here for so many years. I think it was five years between my second place here and winning the race. But it was the most enjoyable 200metres I have ever had running.

Q. Do you regard this as a home race?

JB: I don't live here.

Q. You don't live here any longer? I know your Dad does or hereabouts.

JB: Yeah. For me, it is a very special race. It is a race you would love to win. Every race you would love to win, but this one is very special. I think it's because even if you're leading the race it's very stressful. Mentally it is very, very draining. It does feel like the road is narrowing over the 78 laps. But it is a very, very special race to win. For me, the most exciting thing was qualifying. Putting it on pole here in qualifying meant probably as much to me as it did to win the race. When you are pushing to the car to the limit on low fuel, new tyres, getting as close as you can to the barriers, that is a real buzz, so I enjoyed Saturday as much as Sunday.

Q. Martin Whitmarsh says your third sector performance last weekend, that's the very tight sector in Spain, bodes well and suggests you could be good around here as well?

JB: Yeah, we were good in Turkey in the last sector and in Barcelona. Whether it changes when you have got a barrier next to the circuit I don't know, we will have to see. But I think we have to be positive coming into this race. The last race was good for Lewis and myself after lap one and he was able to push Sebastian until the end. It has been a little while since we have seen that so it shows that the upgrades that we brought did help. We always want more but I think it was a good upgrade. Here I really don't know where we are going to be, but we should be positive. Mechanically I think our car is strong and we will see. Our KERS system is very good. I know there are another four cars with it but it should work well for us.

Q. Rubens, you have had 18 Monaco Grands Prix already. I believe you call this your second home race?

Rubens BARRICHELLO: Yes, very much yes.

Q. Tell us why?

RB: Well as I live here and I enjoy being here still going around a true Monte Carlo and having fun with the cars the way it is. To be very honest when I got here back in 1993 I looked at the track and said 'it is impossible, there is no way you can race a Formula One car around here' and with time you just start to enjoy it so much. I am a little bit like Jenson in the way that I like Saturday better because qualifying is such a buzz. It is really close to the walls all the time and that's what keeps me going, it is the buzz from what Formula One can give you.

Q. What about the set-up of the car here. What are the most important points about it?

RB: You need to be asking for maximum traction. You need to have good balance. If the car is either too much oversteer or too much understeer, you are in trouble. It is almost like you want the car more balanced than just the grip level as the grip level here is not high because the asphalt is a common one. Although there are some resurfaces on the track that gives you a little bit more grip. It is all about traction and, especially now with the tyres the way they are, you are going to be asking for better consumption on the tyres. You are going to be looking after the tyres a bit.

Q. Obviously, you are looking for your first points for the Williams team. Does this give you a better or worse chance?

RB: I think a better one, a better one as anything can happen in Monaco. Although qualifying is not so important as it used to be because of the conditions of the tyres I still think qualifying here is going to be important for you to have the first third of the race in a good way. It is sad not to have scored points. Before the beginning of the season you are talking about different prospects but I am sure it will come and hopefully this weekend already.

QUESTIONS FROM THE FLOOR

Q. (Julien Febreau, L'Équipe) Question for Michael, Jenson and Jarno. What memory do you have from your first victory here and how exciting was it. The second part of my question is: has it changed something for you?

MS: It was 1994 and that was after the tragedy that we had in Imola. It was still with us in these moments so naturally emotions were a bit low. Nevertheless as I said at the beginning it is the most prestigious race you can win. As Jenson mentioned before, me too, in qualifying I just had a fantastic lap. It was spot on and that is a big thrill and if you can repeat this in the race, although we had a certain margin I think and I was relatively easy up front, so then you don't have to but it is the ultimate accomplishment you can have from a race over here, no doubt. Has it changed something to me? I put myself into the record of being in a winner in Monaco and then it is all focussed for the championship and it is just a single event.

JB: Obviously, for a racing driver they want to win World Championships in Formula One and that has to be your main aim. But after that, if you are looking at race victories, you would say the Monaco Grand Prix along with your home grand prix, they are both very special to you. The lasting memory for me was obviously parking in the wrong place and running to the finish line. I wouldn't change that for the world. It might have been embarrassing at the time but I have got very good memories of arriving late and saying to Prince Albert, as I ran up onto the stage, sorry. So yeah it is a very special race and for the person who wins this year they are going to feel very special emotions. You celebrate the victory with not just your team, but with everyone here in Monaco. It is a big celebration and I think that also means something. All these people have come to watch the grand prix. The people on the boats, the people in the grandstands, the marshals, everyone is involved in the celebrations here and that is nice.

JT: Well it is always nice when you get a victory and winning in Monaco is special as it is the most prestigious race that you want to win. Even though it doesn't make any difference to me, it was nice. I remember a few moments when I crossed the line was my first ever win in Formula One. It was a perfect weekend as I did pole positions then I dominated the whole race and when I crossed the line and had won all my career in a few seconds went through my mind. I was so satisfied. It didn't change me much apart from that some people didn't like the fact that I had won Monaco, especially inside the team so it was wrong timing probably. But apart from that it didn't really change much for myself.

Q. (Heikki Kulta - Turun Sanomat) Nico, both father and son have never won the Monaco Grand Prix. If you do it, would that give something extra to you to celebrate that with Keke?

NR: No, not at all. It would just be special in its own way. Not comparing to my father in any way. It would be nice if we both won here, that would be great.

Q. (Marc Surer – Sky TV) Michael, you again had a fantastic start in Spain, coming from the right side. So did Alonso, from the same side. Is it possible that the disadvantage is less on Pirelli tyres, starting on the right-hand side?

MS: There are very clearly some tracks where the difference is less than others, and I think in Turkey it was a clear disadvantage to be on the wrong side, on the left side in that case. In Barcelona, it's a slight disadvantage to be on the right side, not a big one though. But normally it's always a disadvantage to be off the line, by bigger or smaller amounts.

Q. (Frederic Ferret – L'Equipe) To all of you, Monaco is also special because you don't drive on Friday. Do you like that and do you have a routine for what you do on Friday?

JB: For me, I'd rather we practised on Friday and went straight into qualifying on Saturday, because it's just an extra day of work.

MS: Be good if we could have Thursday and Friday to run around and have some more fun. Well, usually we have events. On my side, I have a couple of events that I have to look out for, and probably a bit of time with the team to prepare for the day after and then the rest is just relaxing.

JB: Yeah, spend time with the engineers and sponsor events most of the day.

RB: I would prefer to drive on Friday and have Thursday off. It's kind of a boring Friday, really, because you cannot sleep because it's more noisy because other people are driving on the track, so I would rather have the weekend as a normal one and have Friday and keep on going.

NH: Pretty much the same; I would prefer to drive on Friday. As it is now, you have some meetings with the engineers, some PR stuff to do, but basically in your mind, you're just looking forward to the next day, you want to get into the car and get on with it.

NR: For me it's fine (as it is); a quick engineer meeting but then straight to the pool with friends and have a good time and relax. It's nice like that too.

JT: It's the longest weekend of the season and I don't think any one of us enjoys it because, logistically, Monaco is difficult, we all know that. So we spend one more day in such a chaotic situation, a day that most of the time is spent doing PR or media or anything like that. Obviously on Friday, what will I do? We still have to decide, with Tom (Webb, Lotus press officer) and hope I can get a ride on my bike and then lay down by the pool but I'm sure I will have to come here and do some work.

Q. (Marco degli Innocenti – La Gazzetta dello Sport) For you all, qualifying seems to be most exciting but not so important. Would you suggest changing the system again and maybe to come back to the system of some years ago with only one lap, to make it more exciting?

MS: I think it's good and quite honestly it is only one lap because the tyres only last one lap, or are at their quickest so I don't think there's a big difference.

JB: Yeah, people are saving their tyres so much these days that you are running once in every session and that's it, you're not really chucking tyres at the car. Last race we did three runs, and in Q2 and Q3 it was just one lap in each session, so it's pretty limited running now and I think it's a good system.

RB: I think the changes are quite big because no one was prepared to see what the tyres (were like). The tyres are so different to last year so it's worth having a look, although I think qualifying is very good. For example, if you go out here in Monaco, you have just one run in Q1 and if you have traffic, you could have a problem as well, so it's worth having a look. I think qualifying has been quite good for the past so many years but we only have one run right now so it's worth having a look to see if there's anything different for next year.

NH: Well, the reason why qualifying might not be as important as in the past any longer is nothing to do with the way qualifying is now, in three sessions. It's down to the tyres, why some teams over the last few races chose to save some tyres. I think the way qualifying is now with the three sessions, down to ten cars at the end is good, but we have to see if we want to have it the way it is now, that people chose not to go onto the quicker tyres.

NR: Same as Nick.

JT: I'm of the same opinion. The tyre usage nowadays is so important and the way they handle them, so you need to try to use them the minimum possible, save them for the race so at the end of the day, you're very limited with the running, with the way you want to run. So we have seen races that, even if people are sat on the back of the grid because of a problem, they all have new tyres available and they can still make up places to get easily into the points and also a podium finish, so at the moment qualifying is not important any more.

Q. (Livio Oricchio – O Estado do Sao Paulo) To all drivers: with the supersoft and soft tyres, what do you expect from the race? Very short stints as in the last races, or do believe there will be more time on the track?

JB: I really haven't got a clue yet. I think we haven't run the supersoft tyre for a long time. We haven't run it on our existing car. I'm sure there's going to be quite a bit of degradation on the supersoft. The soft is going to last longer, probably, than on other circuits, because you don't have high speed here, so there's a lot less degradation on the high speed corners, but strategy-wise, it's very, very difficult to know what to do. It's been very difficult every race this season, to really pick the right strategy. I think when you get into a race situation, there's more degradation than you expect, for most people, and I think here it's going to be a little bit up in the air. I think you're really going to have to think on your feet during the race, because we don't know where there's going to be a lot of degradation or not. It might be two stops, there might be five. You never know.

RB: I don't think it's any different. We really have to wait and see, because the supersoft was obviously not at the right track [during testing] and whenever we tested in Valencia, Jerez and Barcelona, it was lasting one lap, but you have a lot more grip there so you use the tyre a lot harder and then the tyre has a tougher time, so as Jenson said, we've got to wait and see. Obviously we might have some readings on Thursday but by Saturday it's going to be a different reading because there's more rubber on the track. I still think the answer is really going to come on Sunday.

Q. (Ian Parks – Press Agency) I don't know if you are aware but there was a huge lorry fire down at turn one last night and they've had to replace a very large section of tarmac there, going into the apex and it's in the braking zone as well. I just wondered if any of you have been down there and viewed it at all, and if you haven't, your thoughts on it, how dangerous it might be?

NH: Well, I don't know if it's true, but from what I heard, it was dangerous of the guy to smoke and fuel the car at the same time. I don't know if there really is a reason but that's the one I was given! I walked the circuit before and it looked OK, it didn't look... it looked like they did a good job.

JB: I've heard about it, but no, I haven't checked the circuit yet but they're the professionals, they know how to lay tarmac. Hopefully it will be fine tomorrow.

NR: It might just make the tarmac more oily or something because it's so fresh, than the other tarmac around and that could be a bit of an issue.

RB: If it is oily, we have to see if it rains, but I don't think there's any prediction for that, but there might be a problem.

Q. (Silvia Rene Arias – Parabrisas Magazine, Argentina) We know now that overtaking is possible; I want to know what you think about overtaking here on such a narrow track, Monaco? What's going to happen?

RB: I think that Monaco is a non-overtaking territory in a way. I think it was very wise of the FIA to actually introduce some of the DRS but not in the tunnel. We've got to try to overtake, for sure. There are differences in speed that might make it possible. It's very, very narrow. We've seen in the past people trying to overtake and just crash into each other. I think we need to learn. I'm very happy with the decision that we're not going to be using (DRS) in the tunnel. The rest is fine; we should try and then see what it brings to the event. If we can make overtaking possible here, it means that we overtake anywhere on Earth, so it remains to be seen.

NH: I think we've seen a lot more overtaking everywhere so far, but I think in Monaco it will still stand out in the way that there will not be more overtaking than in the past, even though we will be allowed to use the DRS on the start and finish straight. First of all, it's (the zone is) very short, like 350meters or something like that ¬– the whole straight – and in the past we've had like 800meters. And on top of that, even if you use it, there's no way you can go, because the car in front of you is taking what we call a straight line, it takes the corner on the right hand side, on the inside. You cannot go to the left on the outside because there's no way you're going to pass there, so I think it's a bit useless to use the DRS here to be honest, but we're going to use it. If we will see more overtaking? It might be more down to the tyres, but as we've discussed earlier on, we still have to fight out how big the differences are between soft and supersoft and how long the tyres are going to last.

NR: I think the tyres could be very interesting this weekend, and if they degrade a lot, that will definitely increase the amount of overtaking that we see.

JT: We can probably see some more overtaking, but it will remain a mission in the way that you can try but not always succeed. Anyway, it will not be down to KERS or DRS, it will probably be more down to the different tyre wear.

MS: Tyres will certainly be the most important factor but I think if you have the right tyre and the right situation in place then it will normally help you. I have at least good memories when in one race I started last and went forward. So overtaking is a chance, yes it's difficult, it is a challenge but it's not impossible, and it's certainly an extra help.

JB: As all the guys have said, tyres are the big difference around here. I don't think DRS is really going to help you overtake. It might help you get closer, but also we've got the benefit of using KERS. I think if the guy in front is struggling a little bit with his tyres and you use your KERS correctly, that can help with an overtaking move. We've got two things that should help us here but it's also going to be extremely difficult, as it always is around Monaco. But we will obviously give it a shot.

Q. (Byron Young – The Daily Mirror) Michael, you've had various critics of your on-track tactics over the years, including Rubens sitting up there. The latest is Lewis Hamilton. He said you interfered with the battle for the lead in the last race. You let your friend Seb Vettel through, I think in the last ten laps, and forced him to go wide and onto the marbles a few seconds later. Is that right, or is that wrong, or don't you care?

MS: I don't recall it and I don't think it would make sense because I think I have a lot more… although Seb is my friend, but then Lewis is running a Mercedes engine and that's obviously a lot more important to me, not that I try to favour or not favour anybody. No, that certainly must have been a misunderstanding, but not my idea. I try to keep out of everybody's way and just do my own thing.

• Admin

He is. A massive improvement on Legard. My two memories of watching F1 in Australia are the stupid session times, and One HD constantly losing their connection to the BBC output!

Massive day for Team Lotus/LRGP tomorrow. Fingers crossed for the green and gold! Also, it looks like Hulk could be in a race seat fairly soon... depending on the Sutil/Lux situation.

Sebastian Vettel edged out Fernando Alonso in a late battle for the honour of being fastest in the opening practice session for the Monaco Grand Prix.

Both set their fastest laps moments apart in the closing seconds, with Vettel's 1m16.619s for Red Bull sufficient to nip ahead of his Ferrari rival by 0.113 seconds.

Nico Rosberg was third for Mercedes, followed by Alonso's team-mate Felipe Massa and the two McLarens.

But last year's winner Mark Webber did not have a good start to his weekend. A gearbox issue on his Red Bull meant he only completed three slow installation laps and did not set a time.

Unsurprisingly as circuit conditions got ever better, a string of different drivers topped the times during the session, with both Ferraris, Hamilton and Vettel leading the way before Rosberg put Mercedes on top going into the final five minutes. He could not stay there once Alonso and Vettel launched their last runs though, and ended up half a second down in third.

Behind Massa, Lewis Hamilton was just ahead of McLaren team-mate Jenson Button in fifth.

Pastor Maldonado - who has an outstanding record in Monaco from his junior career - showed similar form on his first taste of the circuit in a Formula 1 car, taking a very promising seventh for Williams.

Two drivers found the barriers during the session, the first being Tonio Liuzzi, who crashed his Hispania on the approach to the chicane.

The other accident was courtesy of Michael Schumacher. He locked up on the approach to Sainte Devote, appeared to make a late decision to try and take to the escape road, but ended up spinning sideways into the barriers. Hispania's Narain Karthikeyan went off in sympathy as he watched the incident, though the Indian avoided contact.

Both of those incidents were swiftly cleared away with no need for a stoppage, but there was a five-minute red flag mid-session while the officials investigated a puddle of water that had appeared under the flagstand on the main straight, seemingly from an under-surface leak.

FP1

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m16.619s 25
2. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m16.732s + 0.113 24
3. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m17.139s + 0.520 20
4. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m17.316s + 0.697 24
5. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m17.350s + 0.731 23
6. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m17.534s + 0.915 24
7. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 1m18.527s + 1.908 30
8. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1m18.578s + 1.959 24
9. Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m18.733s + 2.114 16
10. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1m18.805s + 2.186 14
11. Nick Heidfeld Renault 1m18.928s + 2.309 19
12. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m19.234s + 2.615 24
13. Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1m19.395s + 2.776 24
14. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m19.463s + 2.844 25
15. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1m19.768s + 3.149 25
16. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m19.792s + 3.173 26
17. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Renault 1m20.083s + 3.464 23
18. Jarno Trulli Lotus-Renault 1m21.116s + 4.497 27
19. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m21.548s + 4.929 32
20. Jerome D-Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth 1m21.758s + 5.139 31
21. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1m21.815s + 5.196 17
22. Tonio Liuzzi HRT-Cosworth 1m22.840s + 6.221 13
23. Narain Karthikeyan HRT-Cosworth 1m23.885s + 7.266 37
24. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault No time 3

All Timing Unofficial[/code]
Fernando Alonso put Ferrari on top in the second Thursday practice session for the Monaco Grand Prix. The Spaniard led the way for the majority of the afternoon, staying ahead of McLaren's Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes' Nico Rosberg and the second McLaren of Jenson Button, while championship leader Sebastian Vettel's Red Bull was back in fifth. Alonso's session began with a near-miss when he almost ran into the back of team-mate Felipe Massa in the Swimming Pool section as the Brazilian cruised around on a slower lap. Intra-team disaster averted, Alonso took the top spot next time around. That 1m16.408s lap stood as the best until drivers started switching to super soft tyres mid-way through the session. Vettel briefly hit the front then, but only for a few minutes before Alonso blitzed the champion's time by half a second with a 1m15.123s that would go unbeaten. His rivals edged closer, with Vettel pushed back to fifth behind Hamilton, Rosberg and Button, but Alonso's time kept him in front. Massa also showed good pace to take sixth, while Michael Schumacher came back from his morning crash to go seventh for Mercedes. After missing the morning with a gearbox issue, Mark Webber had KERS troubles on the way to eighth this afternoon. Adrian Sutil (Force India) and Nick Heidfeld (Renault) completed the top 10. There were fewer incidents than in first practice, although Vitaly Petrov slid into the barriers on the approach to the chicane and did minor damage to his Renault, and Jaime Alguersuari did likewise to his Toro Rosso at Sainte Devote, where Williams's Pastor Maldonado and Lotus's Heikki Kovalainen (twice) visited the run-off without drama. Paul di Resta's session was ended by a mechanical problem - the Force India losing drive after 35 minutes. Tonio Liuzzi did not take part in the session, hydraulic issues being discovered while the Hispania crew repaired the damage from his morning incident.
[code]FP2

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m15.123s 42
2. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m15.228s + 0.105 33
3. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m15.321s + 0.198 44
4. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m15.448s + 0.325 38
5. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m15.667s + 0.544 46
6. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m15.781s + 0.658 45
7. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1m16.356s + 1.233 33
8. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m16.642s + 1.519 42
9. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1m17.101s + 1.978 46
10. Nick Heidfeld Renault 1m17.126s + 2.003 38
11. Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m17.337s + 2.214 35
12. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m17.541s + 2.418 47
13. Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1m17.570s + 2.447 39
14. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m17.581s + 2.458 32
15. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 1m17.633s + 2.510 49
16. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1m17.706s + 2.583 37
17. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m17.789s + 2.666 43
18. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Renault 1m18.266s + 3.143 50
19. Jarno Trulli Lotus-Renault 1m18.490s + 3.367 39
20. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m19.053s + 3.930 15
21. Jerome D-Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth 1m19.185s + 4.062 40
22. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1m19.338s + 4.215 35
23. Narain Karthikeyan HRT-Cosworth 1m22.066s + 6.943 33

All Timing Unofficial

The High Court decision on the Lotus naming row will be revealed on Friday afternoon when the judgement is delivered by Mr Justice Peter Smith in London.

Although the case was originally heard back in March, the judge has spent the intervening time - which has also been interspersed with Easter holidays - deliberating on his verdict.

However, the official listing for the High Court of Justice Chancery Division issued on Thursday, said that the judge's decision would finally be made public on Friday.

Mr Justice Peter Smith will deliver his verdict in Court 61 at 2pm in the case that has been listed as Group Lotus PLC & anr v 1Malaysia Racing Team SDN BHD & ors Pt Hd.

The judge is expected to issue his verdict on whether Team Lotus is allowed to use the 'Lotus' name in F1, and also whether or not the team was in breach of the licensing deal that it originally had with Group Lotus.

Lewis Hamilton thinks he and McLaren have what it takes to beat Red Bull in a straight fight in the races - but they need to start getting ahead of their main title rivals on the grid.

On the back of an encouraging performance in Spain last weekend, where Hamilton pushed Sebastian Vettel all the way to the chequered flag despite being well adrift of his pace in qualifying, the Briton is upbeat about his chances for the rest of the campaign.

But with Red Bull having been on pole position at every race so far this year, Hamilton thinks that getting track position at the start of the race is going to be a key factor in securing more race victories.

"If we had qualifying performance I think we could beat them in the race," said Hamilton on the eve of the Monaco Grand Prix.

"I think I showed at the last race that I had the fastest race pace throughout the whole race. So that just shows that if I can get on the front row we'd be in a good position to have a good race with them.

"It's difficult to overtake them in the race because their car is very, very good. They've got mega pit stops, which helps as well, and so, yes, qualifying is an area we have got to work on."

When asked if he believed that target could be achieved in Monaco this weekend, Hamilton said: "I'd love to say yes and I definitely feel I've got it within me to qualify on pole, but it really just depends on getting the balance right and then seeing how quick they are. They were massively quick here last year but hopefully the gap will be closer than it was in Barcelona."

Hamilton says McLaren is still working out just why Red Bull is so much quicker in qualifying than it is in races - with suspicions pointing towards its use of its blown-diffuser and the way it can use it tyres on Saturday.

"These days the cars are more complex in a different way, with the blown diffuser and different race modes and those types of things," he said. "It appears that when they get to Q3 they turn something up and they get a big chunk of time.

"But they do also have just in general, even in the race, great stability when they are on power. Through the last corner of Barcelona, through Turn 3 they were flat-out throughout qualifying, but when we get to qualifying we can generally only do the corner at a similar speed to what we do it at in the race. That's a massive amount of time they gain.

"They were the first ones to go with the blown diffuser and it's just like when the Brawns were the first to do the double diffuser they had the advantage for a long time. Red Bull were the first to do the blown diffuser and everyone's been playing catch-up and we still are."

In an intriguing comment about how teams are using engine settings to help increase downforce through better use of the blown diffuser, Hamilton said: "Qualifying is probably the most exciting part of the weekend apart from the start of the race. It is very cool, especially now. Before we would just go to the fastest engine setting.

"Now, you go for the most powerful downforce setting for the engine, which is very neat. You put lots of front wing in, you suddenly have loads more grip and you can throw the car around like crazy. I can't wait to get into qualifying."

Renault team principal Eric Boullier thinks that the idea of having an engine equivalency formula in 2013 - with the current V8s running alongside the new 1.6-litre four-cylinder engines for one season - would be unworkable.

With a number of F1's manufacturers unhappy about the cost implications of switching to the new smaller engines in 2013, FIA president Jean Todt told them in Spain last weekend that he would be willing to offer a compromise of allowing a year's grace for the current power plants.

But with tremendous complications from trying to ensure that both types of engines would perform the same, as well as there being little cost saving in the move, there has been some scepticism that the plan could be put into place.

And Boullier, who thinks that a final decision on the matter needs to done soon in a bid to end uncertainty over future rules, has joined those who believe that an equivalency formula cannot help.

"I don't see, to be honest, the V8s running at the same time as the four cylinders," Boullier told AUTOSPORT.

"It is too extreme and, to balance the performance would be a nightmare and a headache for the FIA.

"I think it was, as Bernie [Ecclestone] said [in Spain], a nice offer from Jean to try and find a compromise, but I think they, the engine manufacturers, need to see if they really want to do it. And, at some stage, we need a decision technically because it is a bit confusing for everybody."

Although parent company Renault is wholly in favour of the new four-cylinder engines, F1's other manufacturers are not so eager for the move – with Cosworth, Mercedes-Benz and Ferrari believed to have written to the FIA to express concerns about the 2013 plans.

HRT boss Colin Kolles has ruled out a protest at this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix over the use of off-throttle blown diffusers, with the FIA having promised him that it was looking into the matter.

Kolles wrote to FIA president Jean Todt over the Spanish GP weekend asking him for clarification about the situation - with the governing body having declared off-throttle use of the concepts illegal before changing its mind in the build-up to the Barcelona event.

That delay in sorting the situation had angered Kolles, who had suggested a few days ago that if the matter had not been resolved by this weekend's event then he would have no choice but to protest rival cars in a bid to get an answer.

However, with AUTOSPORT understanding that the FIA responded to Kolles making it clear that it was dealing with the matter as quickly as it could, the HRT team principal has said he is now willing to wait until the outcome of the Technical Working Group meeting on June 16.

That means a protest at Monaco this weekend, which could have overshadowed F1's blue-riband race, can now be ruled out.

Speaking to AUTOSPORT about the possible threat of a protest in Monaco, Kolles said: "I can rule it out now.

"We have been asked [by the FIA] to be on stand-by, and we trust that the FIA will react in the right way."

World champion Sebastian Vettel says Pirelli's super soft tyres are working well, despite fears that they could degrade too fast in Monaco.

The softest of all the compounds raced by Pirelli so far is making its grand prix debut this weekend, and there were concerns that they would degrade too quickly.

Vettel, however, completed 23 laps with them in the second Friday practice at Monte Carlo, and admitted they were lasting well.

"I think not bad, it's been positive so far," said Vettel, fifth quickest today, of the tyres. "Both tyres are working and that is most important thing, and lasting pretty well.

"We will see how the conditions are on Sunday. If it's similar to today then the super soft seems to be preferred tyre for qualifying. You can extract most time from it, so no dramas today."

The Red Bull driver, quickest in the morning session, said he was pleased with his day, although the admitted the track was bumpier than before.

"I think we had a good day so far. Obviously it was important to do a lot of laps here and I had a good feeling straight away. It is fun around here.

"It is a different track, very bumpy and very rough, and some places on the track they have resurfaced but I don't think they have made it better. It is even worse. It is interesting.

"Ferrari looks very competitive but all in all everyone is really close to each other."

Team-mate Mark Webber said he was satisfied with the super soft tyres too.

"It was alright. Similar to all the Pirellis actually," he said.

The Australian, however, lost all the morning session after a problem with his car's gearbox.

"We missed 40 laps this morning and you are not going to get that back overnight, so we need to get back into the groove a little bit on Saturday morning and hopefully we can get back in business on Saturday afternoon, and then recover."

Red Bull technical chief Adrian Newey has admitted that the team underestimated the resources that would be required to fully get on top of KERS.

The energy boosting device has proved troublesome for Red Bull all year, with drivers Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber often instructed not to use it.

"KERS is a complicated project that needs a lot of research and a lot of development," said Newey.

"The packaging route we have chosen for our system, while it has its roots in the Renault Marelli system used a couple of years ago, has been altered to suit the package in our car and has caused some problems.

"It is not proving easy to completely eliminate it, We hope we have learnt how to manage it, but we are learning."

Newey considered that the system has not a Red Bull speciality and the team should have directed more resources to it.

"It is not our forte, we are an aero chassis manufacturing group rather than a KERS group," he said.

"The department is quite small, with hindsight probably a little too small, and there is a lot of inertia to these things. It's quite difficult to react quickly to a problem."

Vijay Mallya says Indian Grand Prix organisers would have no problem in switching the date of this year's race to December 4, if that is required to accommodate the return of the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Ahead of a team principals' meeting with Bernie Ecclestone at the Monaco Grand Prix on Thursday afternoon to discuss the possibility of Bahrain's return, Mallya has said that the Delhi event will be ready for whichever date gets chosen.

"There are no issues on whether the track will be completed or not, that track will be ready on time," explained Mallya during an official FIA press conference in Monaco.

"There is a huge amount of interest, people are already clamouring for tickets and it is a major step forward in Indian motorsport and sport in general in our country.

"Whether it is October 30 or December 4 really doesn't matter to us. In fact in December the weather is cooler, so it should not impact on the race itself."

Although the Indian GP date move would cause little problems from F1, there remains unease about the return to Bahrain so soon after the political troubles that have hit the Gulf State.

Mallya said it would be wrong for team bosses to judge the rights and wrongs of having Bahrain back, ahead of talks with Ecclestone.

"I understand that there is a team principals' meeting at 5pm to discuss this and after that I am sure it will be debated at the WMSC, of which I am a member," he said. "It would be wrong of me to prejudge the issue here, so let's discuss it at team principal level and then at the FIA."

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh added: "It is something that is best discussed with the FIA and among the teams, rather than via a press conference."

Force India team owner Vijay Mallya says he might reconsider Adrian Sutil's position if criminal charges were filed against him in relation to his alleged incident with Renault co-owner Eric Lux in China.

Lux recently announced that he intended to file a criminal complaint against the Force India driver.

Mallya said until there was any firm news about the action, it would be wrong for Force India to make any presumptions about Sutil and the incident in China.

"As far as my position is concerned there has been a press release issued which described an incident, we have not heard of any formal complaint being registered in any country for misconduct by Adrian so it would be highly inappropriate of us to presume he did something," he said.

"It would be equally presumptuous that he would be guilty of wrongdoing and take action against him.

"If we received a formal complain or there is some form of formal legal inquiry we will take appropriate action at that time but we cannot be presumptive."

Mallya underlined that Force India would consider removing Sutil from the race drive if the circumstances required it, but that at present he saw no reason to make any changes.

"Contracts do not supersede misconduct," he said. "I am not willing to jump to conclusions based on a press release that has been given out by a supposedly aggrieved party, I don't know what happened in that particular incident.

"There is a due process of law, so if Adrian is charged with misconduct, if and when he is charged I will assess the situation."

Fernando Alonso has downplayed the significance of his quickest time in Thursday practice at Monaco, saying Red Bull is still the favourite for victory.

"I think it's only Friday [Thursday], so we need to see," said Alonso, who finished the afternoon session on top of the times ahead of Lewis Hamilton.

"We see Red Bull on Fridays testing different things and then on Saturday they are very strong.

"I expect them to be very competitive in qualy and I think in five days things cannot change so much, so I expect Red Bull to be the favourite for qualifying and the race.

"But it's true also that this is a very unique venue, so anything can happen. There is no room for mistakes so there is also this factor."

The Ferrari driver, who was lapped in the Spanish Grand Prix last Sunday, said his car was making him feel confident around the streets of the principality.

"The car is responding well and here we know it's about confidence in the car," he said. "Having a good set-up that enables you to brake later, to go in the corner quicker.

"And at the moment the car is offering me that possibility so I'm happy, but obviously it's only Friday [Thursday] and we know on Saturday the stress and the pressure will increase and you need to have some margin and it's very easy to make a mistake."

The Spaniard also played down a close call during second practice, when he nearly crashed into the back of his team-mate Felipe Massa.

"I think it was not Felipe, it was the car in front. I think it was a McLaren slowing down every lap in the last corner. Felipe was slowing down because of a McLaren."

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone hopes the FIA will put the Bahrain Grand Prix back on the calendar at its crunch meeting next week, despite fears by teams that the extended 2011 schedule may lead to burn out.

After weeks of discussions about the future of the race, and as first revealed by AUTOSPORT, Ecclestone has confirmed that the Bahrain GP will take place on October 30 if the FIA decides at its World Motor Sport Council meeting on June 3 that it is safe for F1 to go there.

That date means that the inaugural Indian Grand Prix will be moved to December 4 - resulting in the season ending one week later than originally planned.

Ecclestone met with team principals in the Monaco paddock on Thursday afternoon to discuss the situation and tell them his plan - although the outfits are worried about the impact the December 4 finish could have on their crews.

Speaking to reporters afterwards, Ecclestone said he had 'hope' that Bahrain would get approval from the FIA – although he acknowledged the difficulties the teams now faced.

"They are happy," said Ecclestone. "But there is a problem with the date: that is the only thing.

"The trouble with the teams, it is difficult with the people who work for them. They will speak to all their people about what their general feeling is with their crew."

When asked if he felt it was safe for F1 to race in Bahrain, Ecclestone said: "I don't know. I've no idea. It can be safe on the Friday of the race and on Sunday...I don't know.

"They are all nice people there. We would not have any problem, but if someone wants to get attention that would be a good way to do it. From a safety point of view I don't think there is anything to worry about."

Adding that there would be no further extension to the June 3 deadline, Ecclestone said: "We have got to make a decision because the teams want to know what is going on."

In Spain last week, Mercedes GP team principal Ross Brawn expressed concern that a potential December finish to the calendar would be bad news for his staff.

"I think as a team principal who works and has to look after the group of people we have, you have to remember they have been going since the end of January," explained Brawn.

"We don't have testing any more so these guys have been very, very busy since the end of January, and I think to take them through to December and then get them going again at the end of January, we won't sustain it. We won't keep the people - they will get fed up, their families will get fed up and it will all prove to be too much.

"We cannot have two teams. We could [in theory] make a step to have two teams, like they do in NASCAR or other series, but with the RRA [Resource Restriction Agreement] we are restricted about the number of people we can have, so we cannot structure our organisation with two separate race teams."

He added: "I think we have to think about it very carefully because we are reaching a limit on what we can subject our people to. They have been going at it since the end of January as previously winter testing was handled by the test team. We don't have that option any more - the race team has to do that.

"So, to tell them to carry on through to December and then they can have a few weeks off over Christmas and it starts again is not going to be sustainable."

Thursday's press conference:

TEAM REPRESENTATIVES - Graeme LOWDON (Marussia Virgin), Vijay MALLYA (Force India), Adrian NEWEY (Red Bull), Peter SAUBER (Sauber F1 Team), Martin WHITMARSH (McLaren)

PRESS CONFERENCE

Q. Graeme, what do you feel about this race. Is this going to be your best chance for points here?

Graeme LOWDON: Monaco always has the potential for an unpredictable race and with the best will in the world that is our best chance at the moment until we can move the car further forward. We had a good run here last year until we had some car problems and I think now we are on top of the reliability problems that we had as a new team last year so we are looking forward to the race.

Q. You talked about bringing the car forward which is basically upgrades. Is there now going to be a regular flow or has there been a regular flow?

GL: There has been although we kind of went on hold a little bit in Barcelona. We were developing a blown exhaust system on the car and then following the directive from the FIA we decided that we would have to hold until the meeting next month when there is going to be a clarification of what direction to go in. We won't, in terms of pace... I don't think we will be moving much forward in this race but certainly we plan to keep moving forward as you have to of course. We will see what this clarification looks like and then determine then the direction we are going.

Q. Is there any technical contribution coming from Marussia?

GL: Marussia were sponsors of our team last year and then moved into an investment ownership element towards the end of last year so they are now gainfully integrated with the team and certainly in the future I think we will see information going in both directions. They have some really exciting road car plans for the long-term future and we are looking forward to playing our part in that as well.

Q. Vijay, in some ways again perhaps your best chance here. We saw (that) a couple of years ago when you really were looking on course for points until Kimi Raikkonen ended your chances. Is this race a good chance for points as well?

Vijay MALLYA: Yeah, absolutely. Since the beginning of the season we knew that at least for the first few fly-away races we would still be in the development mode. We were hoping to launch a serious aero package in Barcelona. We haven't got everything together quite yet but certainly there are improvements that are already showing during free practice here in Monaco. This is a fantastic race, my favourite, I would love to score points here.

Q. We always tend to see you as a representative of your nation. How is the Indian Grand Prix coming along?

VM: Coming along really well actually. The track is almost ready and will be ready well in time. The recent press reports apparently quoting Bernie (Ecclestone) saying that if Bahrain is re-instated then the Indian Grand Prix may actually be pushed back to December obviously raised a lot of questions at home. But whether it is October 30th, as scheduled, or later in the year we are ready and quite happy with the progress the promoters have made.

Q. What's the reaction at home especially now that Narain Karthikeyan is back in a race seat?

VM: Well when Narain and Karun (Chandhok) were both on the grid there was a lot of joy and celebration in India. But as you may know Force India have launched the "One In A Billion" hunt. It is going very well. We have had a few rounds already and we hope to identify some talented Indian kids in the not too distant future.

Q. Is there going a lot of interest in that?

VM: Huge amount of interest, absolutely. In fact, people contact me directly saying 'my son or daughter is one month less than the prescribed age of 14 of a few days older than the limit of 17 and can we please get them in'. There is a huge amount of interest.

Q. Peter, tell us about the contribution James Key has made to your team?

Peter SAUBER: The C30 is James Key's car and the car is a clear step forward. He is doing a good job and thanks to him we were able to move forward.

Q. Tell us about the modifications and the programme of development. How great is that? And, modifications for this race?

PS: Small modification to the front wing, rear wing, brake ducts and we have a modification on the front suspension.

Q. And then in terms of general developments. Are you expecting something every race?

PS: General development is on the aerodynamic side. I think that is the same for all the teams. We tried very hard on the exhaust side but it doesn't work.

Q. When you are looking ahead at your next team to overtake as it were, which team is that? Which is your target team?

PS: The target is to go forward and to keep the gap to the team in front of us and especially to keep the gap to the teams behind us.

Q. You don't want to catch and overtake Renault, for example?

PS: If it's possible, why not?

Q. Adrian, just tell us what the problem was with Mark's car this morning?

Adrian NEWEY: It was a cut wiring loom, a gearbox wiring loom, which meant he lost one of the potentiometers on the gearbox barrel.

Q. Is that a major setback for him to lose the whole session?

AN: I am sure it's a pain. The question is whether that will have any affect on his qualifying, come, hopefully, Q3.

Q. Interesting the situation with the pit-stop procedure change. What has accelerated that?

AN: Sorry, I am lost here.

Q. We understand that Christian (Horner) mentioned after Spain that because of the way Ferrari were stopping and were mirroring your stops, you were changing your procedure.

AN: We suspected that Ferrari were able to judge when we were going to stop before we went on the radio to the drivers to say stop, so we made a small change based on what we thought they were spotting. Whether that was correct or not who knows?

Q. Is it just being a bit paranoid?

AN: Depends whether they were doing it or whether it was just one of those co-incidences. I cannot comment really.

Q. KERS seems to have been a recurring problem right from the start of the season. Give us some indication of how difficult it is to get it right as perhaps we just don't understand in the media?

AN: KERS is a complicated project. It needs a lot of research, lots of development. The packaging route that we have chosen, whilst the system has its roots in the Renault Marelli system that was run a couple of years ago, it has been altered in various ways to suit the package we want for our car. That has caused some problems. It's not proving easy to completely eliminate it. We have hopefully learnt how to change it, but it is challenging for us. It is not really our forte, KERS development. We are an aerodynamics and, sort of, chassis composite engineering group rather than a KERS group.

Q. Have you had to establish an entire new department?

AN: Yes we have, but the department is quite small. With hindsight probably a little bit too small and there is quite a lot of inertia to these things. It is not easy to react quickly to a problem.

Q. One of the things about this race is using the super soft tyre. Can you give us a little bit of information about how the super soft tyre performed. Did it perform how you expected or better or worse this afternoon?

AN: It seemed okay this afternoon. Difficult to know exactly what to expect of it. This circuit is one of the lightest, or even the lightest, on tyres that we go to. Hence Pirelli's choice to bring a softer range than we have had to date and it seems to be coping well with that.

Q. They have suggested 10 laps, even less than 10 laps, per stint on the super soft. Is that pretty much confirmed or can you not say until Sunday itself?

AN: Certainly the indication from today is they should last longer than that. But it is difficult to be concrete and as have seen in the first five races what happens on Friday can change in either direction on Sunday.

Q. Martin, that is the most extraordinary thing about this season. It is just unpredictable except for the fact that Red Bull are going to be fairly close to the front and probably on the front row.

Martin WHITMARSH: Certainly, that is not too unpredictable at the moment. I would like it to be a bit less predictable. I am very happy if you keep asking Adrian questions. I would like to ask him a few myself. We made some progress in Spain. I think our guys were able to race with Adrian's and that was a step forward for us. We were not quite quick enough in qualifying. Had we had a better track position I think it would have been an even greater race but nonetheless it was exciting and encouraging. This circuit is very different from one week ago and from where we are going afterwards. This is a very specialist circuit. I think it is one which the drivers, the competitive drivers, believe they can go out and win so that makes it exciting. I suspect, I hope, it is going to be a bit closer this weekend. I think the strategy here is challenging. We know how difficult it is going to be to overtake here. I am not sure if DRS is going to be that helpful in my opinion but I can understand why people didn't want it going through the tunnel. But clearly the new chicane has been the overtaking place on the circuit so to not use DRS prior to that is a little bit of a shame in my view but we will see. Hopefully we will have a good weekend.

Q. You mentioned in the preview how important your performance through sector three was in Barcelona and it encouraged you for here. Has that been borne out today? MW: I think we have, like Adrian and all the guys here, had Friday as a learning day. During the first session this time we only had one set of tyres, I am sure Adrian had some aero bits to try. We had a few aero bits to try. You are getting that information. You are doing some fuel heavy runs to see how durable the super soft is and also the soft tyre. The super soft tyre looks very consistent on all the cars. We are getting a lot of data and now the strategists and engineers can work hopefully to improve the set-up for tomorrow and also try and make sure we get it right in the race.

Q. We mentioned the pit-stop concerns that Red Bull Racing have. Do Vodafone McLaren Mercedes have similar pit-stop concerns?

MW: No, we don't. I don't know anything about that particular issue. I think you call the stops and try and make them as quick as you can. Inevitably, sometimes it is nice to know when others are making them but you judge that by where you see their tyre performance. It is very clear this year that if the driver goes longer than his tyres should have done then he lost lots of time so you can generally see just by looking at lap times when somebody is about to come in.

QUESTIONS FROM THE FLOOR

Q. (Alberto Antonini - AutoSprint) Coming out in the paddock yesterday, you could see that there was still a lot of action going on. Some of the facilities hadn't been completed, they were still being set up. So, I just wondered whether it's sensible, given the size of the current infrastructures, to have back-to-back races, coming to a place like this? Is it turning into a sort of logistic nightmare?

MW: Well, it's incredibly tough. Back-to-back races have always been tough on the crew and the team. Clearly because Monaco starts one day earlier, it's just that little bit tougher. There was a lot of action here, now there's a lot made of a forklift incident with Jenson but I think Jenson's probably done more dangerous things here in his life, both in cars and out of cars in Monaco, so I think it was probably a little bit overstated. It's tough. I'm sure that we're grateful – just as all the teams are here – to the people who build garages, build hospitality units, rebuild the cars to make sure we can be here racing.

GL: We've probably got the smallest motorhome of anybody here but dare I say, one of the friendliest. We tend to have to wait until all the large structures are put together before we can put ours together but I think we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that Formula One and the finances of Formula One are very complicated nowadays and these structures do actually play an important part in servicing the requirements of sponsors and guests. So it is an important part of the whole show, and the people who put them together do a tremendously professional job under very tight circumstances. I take my hat off to them.

VM: Well, we sometimes pay the price for our own enthusiasm. We wanted to create a sort of Taj Mahal out of our motorhome. In the process we created a pretty heavy and complex structure that requires a lot more time to erect and disassemble but that's life, we're used to it. We know that they're going to be back-to-back races and the guys coped pretty well.

PS: Yes, it's tough but we have done it in the past many times.

Q. (Pierre Van Vliet – F1i Magazine) Martin, what is FOTA's position regarding the 2013 engine rules following the Barcelona meeting last week?

MW: I think FOTA's view is that this really is a decision for the engine manufacturers, not for the teams themselves. I think teams want to have affordable engines and they've made those points to the engine manufacturers and to the FIA and I have to say that those views appear to be respected. I think that with any rules changes, it would have been great if we could have introduced more engine manufacturers into Formula One but unfortunately, we're perhaps coming out of a recession, we were a little bit too early with these changes, but at the same time, we have to move forwards in Formula One, we have to be seen with developing technologies that are relevant to the needs of society, so there will always be an emotional pull to the past. Lots of us speak about 'wasn't it great when we had V12s', 'wasn't it good when we had V10s', isn't it great that we've got V8s?' And I think we must be careful that we don't get emotional about those things. What we need is Formula One to be the pinnacle of motor sport, to have the most advanced powertrain and they've got to be affordable for all of the teams. I think also, we need as many engine manufacturers in Formula One, we need independent manufacturers like Cosworth. We need to make sure we don't lose any of the engine manufacturers we've got now. We're very fortunate as a sport to have Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault with us. We'd like to make sure that we've still got them in 2013 and beyond and I hope, in time, find ways in which other automotive companies find this sport attractive to invest in it.

Q. (Ian Parkes – Press Association) Vijay, could I ask you on what basis you took the decision to allow Adrian to continue racing after his incident in Shanghai. And secondly, you've just launched your own driver development programme, I think for 14- to 16-year olds; is he still a good role model for the team?

VM: As far as my position is concerned, there has been a press release issued which describes an incident. We have not heard of any formal complaint being registered in any country for any sort of misconduct by Adrian. So it would be highly inappropriate for us to presume that he did something. It would be equally presumptuous that he would guilty of wrong-doing and take action against him. So my position is very clear: if at all we receive a formal complaint or there is some form of formal legal enquiry in any country, we'll take appropriate action at that time but we can't be presumptive.

Q. (Edd Straw – Autosport) Adrian, there was a lot of talk in Spain about the legality of the exhaust-blown diffuser operating while the driver is off the throttle. What's your interpretation of the legality of that, specifically relating to article 3.15 and could you explain your reasoning behind the position you take on this technology?

AN: Well, I think the key to 3.15 is that it talks about 'driver over-run then the throttle should be closed' then in brackets 'idle speed' so it seems to be implying that the throttle should be closed at idle, which it clearly is. What the throttle does on over-run at other times is not clear in the regulations, not as expected. Certainly, in the case of Renault, then they open the throttle to full open on the over-run for exhaust valve cooling, and that's part of the reliability of the engine. It has been signed off through the years for dyno testing and for them to change that would be quite a big issue, because the engine's not proven that it would be reliable if the throttle remained closed in that situation. Obviously if other people are going further and perhaps firing the engine on the over-run then clearly exhaust valve cooling is not part of that and that would be something that presumably they would need to explain to keep Charlie (Whiting, technical delegate) happy.

Q. (Alan Baldwin – Reuters) Vijay, you mentioned the Indian Grand Prix and Bernie's comments about it but I was wondering if you've spoken to Bernie or talked to him about it and what is your personal position on any possible re-scheduling of that race?

VM: There are no issues on whether the track will be completed or not. That track will be ready well in time. There's a huge amount of interest. I can tell you that people are already clamouring for tickets and it's a major step forward in Indian motor sport and sport in general in our country, so everybody is looking forward to it. Whether it's October 30th or December 4th - I believe that's what the media report said – really doesn't matter to us. In fact, in December the weather is cooler in India and Delhi in particular so it shouldn't impact the race in any way.

Q. (Alan Baldwin – Reuters) Can I just ask the other team bosses whether it would impact on them at all, to be racing in December?

AN: Makes for an awfully long season, doesn't it? It is for the people involved.

MW: I think it's tough on the team, simple as that. I think the teams will go to the races that are on the calendar, that's for sure, but I think it makes it a very long season. The guys started working very hard in mid-January, building cars to go testing and it will make it a very, very long season for them.

PS: I think first we have to wait for the decision about Bahrain.

GL: I agree with Martin. I think it does make it quite tough on the teams. I think one of our guys is getting married on December 4th as well, so we might have a problem.

Q. (Rodrigo Franca – VIP Magazine) Question for all of you: what kind of advice would you give for a teenager who is beginning to study and one day wants to work in Formula One? What piece of advice would you five guys give?

AN: I guess the first question is where he or she wants to work, so is it technical, is it in marketing and so on and so forth? In my own area, on the technical side, I think by and large, academic studies help, so going to a good university, if that's possible, is clearly useful. At that point the person probably needs to decide which area they are going to specialise in, is it mechanical, aerodynamics, electronics, maths etc? Try and get some experience as well, even if it's working with a very small team, then anything that helps to build your CV and show that you are a committed, dedicated to motor racing and have both an academic flair and a real enthusiasm is mainly what we're looking for.

MW: I don't have much to add to what Adrian said. I think you have to be realistic. Those of us who are working in Formula One or in motor sport, are very, very lucky. It's a great career but it's massively competitive, it's still a relatively small industry so I think if anyone sets their sights on a career within motor sport they should also have a Plan B because however good you are, you might not be fortunate enough to get in.

VM: A lot of Indian technology companies are already supporting established Formula One teams but I represent a country that is full of aspiration, with 500 million youngsters under the age of 18, aspiration levels run really, really high and everybody wants to be part of Formula One because of the image that Formula One has. But I'm not just very, very pleased with the level of response in our one-in-a-billion hunt for a driver, the number of CVs and applications coming through from people who want to be involved in engineering and design is quite incredible. There's a lot of talent out there. In the technology industry per se, India has been in the forefront for many decades and there is talent out there and we can use that talent as well, as we go forward. We have some internships already running for young Indian engineers so yes, there's a huge amount of opportunity.

GL: I agree with Adrian, it's a mixture of experience but also knowledge. There's a remarkable number of people who look to get into a racing team who haven't prepared themselves with either and it constantly amazes me. I'm sure like all the other teams, we operate internships as well, with SMT University – I'm sure the other guys work with various universities and have close links with them, with education, which is important and there is no secret, it's hard work and application, and if you're prepared to put in the hard work and apply yourself, then anybody can get into the sport. But as Martin says, whether they stay in is a different matter.

Q. (Ian Parkes – Press Association) As you know, the state of emergency is due to be lifted in Bahrain on June 1, two days ahead of a decision being made about the Grand Prix, but I was wondering if any of you have made representations to either Bernie or the FIA that it is arguably morally and ethically wrong to still be going to Bahrain after what has happened there this year and is still going on?

PS: I think it's important that we be safe and the other point is that if we have three back-to-back races; that's really crazy.

VM: Well, I understand that there's a team principals meeting at 5pm to discuss this and after that I'm sure it will be debated at the World Motor Sport Council of which I'm a member, and I think it would be rather inappropriate for me to pre-judge the issue here, so let's wait for all the team principals to meet and to discuss it at the FIA level and see where we go.

GL: I think you asked 'have we made any representations?' Certainly I haven't and John (Booth) hasn't but that's more because the situation so far is not clear in terms of what the recommendations would be from the FIA and from FOM etc and so we just have to wait and see what develops. As a company, we want to play an important role in this sort of decision as well, but I don't think we necessarily have all the information.

MW: No representations, but I think, as Vijay said, I think it's probably something that's best discussed with the FIA and amongst the teams rather than via a press conference in any case.

Q. (Byron Young – The Daily Mirror) Could I ask Doctor Mallya: are you in the situation with Adrian Sutil that regardless of what he has or has not done, you're obligated to put him in the car for the year? If he's got a contract, he's got a contract.

VM: You know, contracts do not supercede misconduct so unless I'm convinced that there is misconduct the contract shall prevail. And I'm not willing to jump to any conclusions, based on a press release that has been given out by a potentially or supposedly aggrieved party. I don't know what happened there, none of my people know what happened at that particular incident so there's a due process of law. So if Adrian is to be charged with misconduct, let him be charged. If and when he's charged, I will assess the situation.

Hamilton has made some ridiculous claim saying that Toro Rosso cars were blocking him when he was trying to catch Vettel and that the stewards need to "watch out" because they're helping Red Bull. Promptly rebuked by Christian Horner pointing out the fact that Jaime "cost" Webber the chance at the world title back in Abu Dhabi by not exactly getting out of the way for him, as well as Jenson saying that he's never seem anything like that and that he thinks the Toro Rosso drivers would much rather be beating RBR than helping them. This also comes after Hamilton accused Schumacher of blocking him as well.

I genuinely have not hated a driver this much since Schumacher during his unstoppable season. But that was more out of anger of the fact the sport had turned so boring. I don't mind Vettel winning it so much because he's a nice guy at heart. Lewis, meanwhile, is turning in to a bitter and annoying twat who seems to be trying to blame everyone but himself over the fact he can't beat Vettel right now (especially in a race where there's no reason - given the tools he had compared to Vettel, a working KERS and full DRS - that he couldn't have beaten Vettel). He believes his own hype far too much.

• Admin
Lotus have won the right to continue using the name ‘Team Lotus’ in F1.

Justice Peter Smith dismissed Group Lotus’s claim to the Team Lotus name and roundel design.

He also ruled that Lotus’s use of the name ‘Team Lotu’s does not infringe Group Lotus’s trade marks in the name Lotus.

Their use of the name had been contested by Group Lotus, who make Lotus road cars and sponsor the Renault F1 team.

Last year Lotus used the name ‘Lotus Racing’ under license from Group Lotus, until it was withdrawn. Lotus bought the rights to the name ‘Team Lotus’ from David Hunt, who had acquired them when the original team collapsed at the end of 1994.

Lotus team principal Tony Fernandes wrote on Twitter: “We won. I’m over the moon. Team Lotus belongs to us. Our chassis name stays Lotus. No one can use the chassis name. We are the only Lotus. Team Lotus”

Group Lotus said they would appeal the decision. However they described the verdict as a “win on key issues” in a statement.

Sarah Price, lead of legal at Group Lotus, said: “Group Lotus is pleased that its right to race under the Lotus name in F1 has been upheld and that the Defendants’ attempts to stop that have failed.

“The on-going dispute with Team Lotus and associated companies has been a cause for concern for all at Group Lotus. Despite the detailed judgment there are issues which still require clarification and we remain committed to obtaining this much needed clarity for the many fans of the Lotus marque – we are extremely grateful for their continued support. The decision to appeal has not been taken lightly.”

The statement noted: “The judge also found that Team Lotus has the right to continue to race in Formula 1 under the name Team Lotus but the effect of the judgement is that only Group Lotus can use the name “Lotus” on its own in F1.

“Group Lotus is concerned that this aspect of the judgement will cause confusion in the eyes of spectators and the wider public. Accordingly, Group Lotus is seeking leave to appeal so that the right to use the Lotus brand in Formula 1 is clarified once and for all in the interests of the sport and the fans. Group Lotus and its shareholder Proton Holding Bhd are confident of success on appeal.”

More to follow

• Admin

Full verdict from today - http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ch/2011/1366.html

Team Lotus will be able to continue using its name in Formula 1, after the High Court in London ruled in its favour in the row with Group Lotus.

After weeks of deliberation, the court ruled that although the Hingham-based outfit had been in breach of a licencing agreement with Group Lotus last year, there was nothing that prevented the team racing under the Team Lotus banner.

Team principal Tony Fernandes said: "We are all pleased that it has been clarified that we are the rightful owners of Team Lotus. We have always been confident that the factual evidence we presented would lead to this decision and today's judgment confirms that belief.

"We are of course disappointed about the decision that Group Lotus was entitled to end the licence agreement in 2010. We entered into that contract on the basis that we were beginning a long-term partnership with Group Lotus but unfortunately they then used technical breaches of the merchandising pre-notification process to bring the licence and our partnership to an end.

"However, my fellow shareholders and I are firm believers that when one door closes another door opens. In the early days of our agreement we realised its termination was inevitable and as events have unfolded the end of the licence has proved positive for us, with many new avenues being opened up as a result.

"We wanted to develop a long-term relationship with Group Lotus and help them sell more cars around the world but that door closed and now we are delighted that we can turn our attention to ensuring success for Caterham Cars on the road and Team Lotus on track.

"These are two very exciting brands and their future development, bringing these two iconic brands together under the Caterham Team Lotus umbrella, will see us introduce new Caterham cars and a range of new Team Lotus brands into the global marketplace.

"Now our main aim is to build on the solid foundations that has made Caterham Cars the model for how to run a profitable contemporary car company and add more history to the incredible story of Team Lotus over the coming months and years and with the people, spirit, passion and determination we have in both businesses we know that marks the next stage in our incredible story."

In his judgment, Mr Justice Peter Smith ruled that Group Lotus has the right to use the name 'Lotus' in F1, that the Renault team can continue to use its black and gold livery, and that Team Lotus must pay it damages for the breach of licencing agreement last year.

With the judge ruling that Team Lotus can continue to use its name, Group Lotus has decided to appeal - although there is a chance that Team Lotus could counter-appeal it.

In a statement issued by the car company it said: "Team Lotus has the right to continue to race in Formula 1 under the name Team Lotus but the effect of the Judgment is that only Group Lotus can use the name "Lotus" on its own in F1.

"Group Lotus is concerned that this aspect of the Judgment will cause confusion in the eyes of spectators and the wider public. Accordingly, Group Lotus is seeking leave to appeal so that the right to use the Lotus brand in Formula 1 is clarified once and for all in the interests of the sport and the fans. Group Lotus and its shareholder Proton Holding Bhd are confident of success on appeal."

Sarah Price, head of legal at Group Lotus, said: "Group Lotus is pleased that its right to race under the Lotus name in F1 has been upheld and that the Defendants' attempts to stop that have failed.

"The ongoing dispute with Team Lotus and associated companies has been a cause for concern for all at Group Lotus. Despite the detailed judgment there are issues which still require clarification and we remain committed to obtaining this much needed clarity for the many fans of the Lotus marque - we are extremely grateful for their continued support. The decision to appeal has not been taken lightly."

Read the full verdict here.

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is considering shifting the Indian Grand Prix back to December 11 if the race is moved to help accommodate the return of Bahrain to the schedule.

Although Ecclestone had originally been considering switching the Delhi event to December 4 - just one week after the Brazilian Grand Prix - to make room for Bahrain on October 30, the logistics of doing so have scuppered that idea.

Instead, Ecclestone is now in discussions with teams about holding the inaugural Indian GP on December 11 - two weeks after the current season finale in Brazil.

That date change would likely meet with resistance from teams, who are worried about the impact it would have on staff members, and it would also cause problems because it clashes with the FIA prize gala that takes place in the capital city that weekend.

Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali said in Monaco on Friday that teams were evaluating whether it would be possible for them to finish the season two weeks later than originally planned.

Speaking about the Bahrain situation on the back of a team principals' meeting with Ecclestone on Thursday, Domenicali said: "Ferrari wants to go to Bahrain in the future, for a long time. We feel that Bahrain is a great place where F1 has to go.

"We need to work together with them [the Bahrainis] to see if, for the benefit of being there for a long, long, long time, it is good to do a choice for next year or to wait and see.

"What we have discussed is related to some possibility of a calendar that will be presented to the World Motor Sport Council on Friday, and the date will not be on the first weekend in December, it will be the second weekend of December.

"This is quite a tricky calendar if I may say, and we need to sort out and see if the logistics of all of this can be sorted out. This was the first point that was raised by Bernie yesterday, so we need to think if it is really possibly. As far as Ferrari is concerned, we want to have Bahrain for a long time in the future."

Pirelli believes that its tyre choice for the Monaco Grand Prix is going to result in teams opting for varied strategies in the race in a bid to try and secure a top result.

With pre-event fears of tyre chaos caused by a rapidly degrading super soft having proved unfounded, Pirelli thinks the performance of its rubber so far is going to lead to outfits picking some radical tactics on Sunday.

Director of motorsport Paul Hembery said he expected a two-stop to become the race-winning strategy on Sunday - but it was not clear yet whether it would be better to start on the prime rather than the option tyre.

"I think teams will probably do two stops, because they are going to have to use the super soft," explained Hembery.

"If I was in Q2 [so qualified outside the top ten] I would have a real go at trying to overtake the first runners by having an extended first stint on the soft and then putting the super soft on at the end, when you have a light fuel load and have got the pace," he explained.

"Here track position is a premium but some of them will have to adopt some very different strategies for once and maybe not just go with the flow."

Hembery believes it has got the degradation level of the super soft and soft tyre spot on – because it was giving teams a tough time to work out the best strategy for the race.

"We did see the soft have a good degradation, which is what we wanted," he said. "We didn't want it to last too much, because what you have then is a situation where if it was too stable and lasted a long time they wouldn't be doing multiple pit stops to take the performance benefit of it, and that doesn't look to be the case.

"We were pleased the soft tyre was working well and expected tyre life is 30 laps or maybe more."

Speaking about the super soft, Hembery said: "There is quite a lot of degradation. The time loss is actually very big because it forces you to get onto the soft, which is what we wanted.

"It is not actually a wear issue with the super soft, it is a performance issue. The crossover point is so rapid."

Nick Heidfeld says he cannot simply hope that his luck changes to help get Renault back to the podium form that it was able to deliver at the start of the season.

Although the German and team-mate Vitaly Petrov finished in the top three in the first two races of the campaign, their best result since then has been Heidfeld's seventh place finish in the Turkish Grand Prix.

And Heidfeld says that it is up to him to start getting qualifying sorted - so he has a better chance of delivering better results in the races.

"I think I have maximised the potential of the races most of the time, but I think in qualifying I have to work a bit with the team to maximise the potential there," he said, during a promotional event for Renault sponsor TW Steel on Monaco on Friday.

"Partly we were unlucky in qualifying with traffic and stuff, but I don't like to go into the next race thinking you can have bad luck again.

"There are always ways to try and improve it. Even if you are unlucky, you prepare yourself in a different way to arrive in a better situation.

"On top of that, I didn't get the maximum out of the tyres each time and that is something I wanted to work on at Barcelona, because I think I found some idea and reasons there, but unfortunately I didn't manage to do qualifying there because the car was on fire."

Heidfeld thinks Renault's form this season has been distorted by the fact that its poor recent results are in contrast to the early year highs.

"In the winter time there were testing days where we were not very strong, there were other days where I thought we could fight for podiums all the time by ourselves," he said.

"But come the season you know more or less where you stand, and probably we achieved a bit more with the two podiums than we should have compared to the competition.

"We just did everything right in those races. Vitaly and myself showed a good performance and some others showed some mistakes, while in some other races we didn't achieve what we could have, so that is how I see it."

The Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) is planning more fans' forums for later this year - in a bid to get more feedback from those who follow the sport.

After an inaugural Fans' Forum in London last year, FOTA has decided to stage further events in Canada, Britain and Italy over the next few months.

In a letter sent to fans by FOTA chiefs Martin Whitmarsh and Eric Boullier on Friday, they write: "You asked for the opportunity to engage directly with the teams and drivers; we conducted a Fans Forum in London in 2010 and we are pleased to announce three further Fans Forums planned for this year in Canada, Great Britain and Italy.

"And while we will not be able to meet you all, rest assured that we will be listening and will be continuing to push for enhancements wherever and whenever possible."

THE FULL LETTER TO FANS

Dear Formula 1 fans,

As some of you may remember, in early 2010 FOTA undertook a global research study together with our partners at F1 Racing and LG Electronics.

The study sought opinions and feedback from the global fan base, and was conducted to help us better understand our strengths and to prioritise our challenges for the future. The survey was exhaustive and took on average more than 35 minutes to complete, so we were very pleased and grateful to receive detailed feedback from more than 85,000 fans from more than 190 countries.

A year on from the announcement of the initial findings, we feel it is appropriate to share the work we have undertaken and the actions we have implemented over the past 12 months.

First, you provided FOTA with a very strong mandate (more than 80% support) to work to support the teams, to develop technological improvements and to enhance the reputation of F1 around the globe.

As fans you voiced your opinion that F1 needed to attract new followers by ensuring its position as the pinnacle of motorsport from both a technical perspective and driver perspective. More than 90% of you highlighted that more exciting racing and increased opportunities for overtaking represented the most important issues for us to address.

Through the FOTA Technical Regulations Working Group and in partnership with the FIA and our new tyre supplier, Pirelli, we put this issue at the top of our agenda. Writing as we are after the Spanish Grand Prix, five races into the 2011 season, we hope you feel that innovations such as the Drag Reduction System and the revised tyre compounds have made very positive contributions in this area.

Within the 2010 study we asked you about KERS Hybrid, and the feedback from fans was that you did not feel the technology had been given sufficient time to prove its benefits to the sport. So the rules have been amended, increasing the minimum weight, to allow its use again in 2011. In this way we hope that F1 can become an invaluable "laboratory" via which we may fast-track this technology to road car applications and thereby spread the benefits of F1 to society as a whole.

We also asked for your feedback on our proposed points system for 2010, and, while you were in favour of our plan to award points down to 10th place, you also stated a preference for a greater differential between points awarded for race wins and points awarded for lesser placings. We took that feedback on board and the points system was revised ahead of the 2010 World Championship, resulting in the closest F1 title battle for many years, with four drivers vying for the Drivers Championship at the final Grand Prix.

Thanks to FOM Productions, HD television broadcasts has been adopted from the start of the 2011 season and this is an important achievement that matches the expectations of many of you.

We are pleased with these achievements, but we are not complacent. We know that there is more work to be done, and we aim to continue to listen to our global fan base so that you may continue to guide our efforts to improve the sport we all love.

Finally, in the 2010 study, you asked for the opportunity to engage directly with the teams and drivers; we conducted a Fans Forum in London in 2010 and we are pleased to announce three further Fans Forums planned for this year in Canada, Great Britain and Italy. And while we will not be able to meet you all, rest assured that we will be listening and will be continuing to push for enhancements wherever and whenever possible.

Together with you, we now look forward to a fascinating and challenging race here in Monaco.

Yours faithfully,

Martin Whitmarsh and Eric Boullier

Chairman and Vice Chairman, FOTA

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali believes it will take time for the impact of its recent technical reshuffle to help deliver improved form on-track.

Following a disappointing start to the campaign, Ferrari announced earlier this week that technical director Aldo Costa was stepping down and Pat Fry was to take on more responsibility within the new structure.

Domenicali says the changes took place now so that next year's car is designed under the new structure - although he hopes that improvements will be found with the 2011 car too.

"When you want to speak about the future development of cars and the future of the organisation, this is a process that takes a very long time," he said during a media briefing in Monaco on Friday.

"You cannot think that something like that can have an effect in [just] two days time.

"It's a matter of changing the methodology of work and of trying to improve it – that's the objective. Otherwise you don't change. We try to see different priorities in the development of the car. We try to put different concepts on the development of the car and this is why it [the decision] did not happen the day after [spain], but it is happening over a little time that took a bit longer.

"This is why if you want to be effective you need to do it as early as possible, otherwise you will not have an effect on the following season."

Domenicali said it had not been easy to make the decision on Costa, having worked with him for a long time, but felt that it was something that needed to be done.

"It was a very difficult decision from an emotional point of view," he said. "You can imagine when you have worked with a person for many, many years, you grow up together, and it's not easy.

"But sometimes when you take the decision, and you are responsible for the team, you have to take care to be as rational as possible to do the things for the benefit of the team. But as I said it was not easy."

Domenicali made it clear that there were no plans by Ferrari to recruit a high-profile figure to take a major role in the technical department.

"For sure it is a priority for the team to make sure that the structure is strong," he said. "We want to have a stable reorganisation, so we are not discussing the first [top] line I would say.

But for sure we are looking around, as everyone is doing, to reinforce the different areas, because it is part of the continuous evolution that we need to make sure that this is happening."