Best of 2010: Sports people

EddieG

Another little list to close up 2010, I'll give you a long list of sports, and on whichever sports you feel you actually care about, list between 1 and 3 people that were the best in this sport in 2010 (1st getting 3 points, 2nd getting 2 and 3rd getting 1).

Without further ado, here are the sports you can vote on.

(Association) Football:

(American) Football:

Baseball:

Basketball:

Rugby:

Cricket:

MMA:

Boxing:

(Ice) Hockey:

Cycling:

Car racing: (Whether it be F1, IndyCar or Nascar or whatever else you watch)

Bike racing: (Once again, Superbikes, MotoGP, whatever)

Golf:

Darts:

Tennis:

Athletics:

Pro Wrestling:

Sorry about the randomness of the order of this list, and if you feel I missed out a sport, feel free to add it to your voting.

I'll set the deadline for December 30th with a very optimistic aim to have the final list up on New Year's Day.

(Association) Football: Carlos Tevez, Gareth Bale, Andy Carroll (Not

(American) Football: Tom Brady, Devin Hester, Matt Ryan (I could list a shitload more for this and football)

Car racing: Sebastian Vettel, Mark Webber, Jimmie Johnstone

Bike racing: Valentino Rossi

Golf: Padraig Harrington

Darts: That guy who's nickname is 'The Power'

Tennis: Rafeal Nadal, Andy Murray

Athletics: Usaih Bolt

Pro Wrestling: Layla x3

Edited by DJ Ice

Five stage wins at the Tour de France makes it 4 in 08, 6 in 09 and 5 in 10.

He's the best and most dominant sprinter in cycling. He also won the sprint jersey at the Vuelta Espania which was the other big race he entered this year.

Most people either don't like Cavendish or don't know or care about him but the lad is amazing. In Europe he's revered as godlike.

Don't really care about individuals in other sports although Gareth Bale has had an epic year for Spurs.

Football: Xavi, Andres Iniesta, Lionel Messi

Cricket: Graeme Swann, Sachin Tendulkar, Kumar Sangakkara

Boxing: Manny Pacquiao, Chad Dawson

Car racing: Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso, Mark Webber

Golf: Lee Westwood, Graeme McDowell, Martin Kaymer (DJ Ice doesn't watch golf if he thought Padraig had a good year!)

Tennis: Rafa Nadal, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic

Football: Xavi, Andres Iniesta, Lionel Messi

Cricket: Graeme Swann, Sachin Tendulkar, Kumar Sangakkara

Boxing: Manny Pacquiao, Chad Dawson

Car racing: Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso, Mark Webber

Golf: Lee Westwood, Graeme McDowell, Martin Kaymer (DJ Ice doesn't watch golf if he thought Padraig had a good year!)

Tennis: Rafa Nadal, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic

I don't watch Golf, he's one of the few that I've actually heard of.

Basketball: Lebron James, Dwight Howard, Kevin Durant

MMA: Georges St-Pierre, Cain Velasquez, Jose Aldo

Cycling: Philippe Gilbert, Fabian Cancelara, Mark Cavendish

Car racing: Sebastian Loeb

Tennis: Kim Clijsters, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal

Pro Wrestling: Wade Barrett, John Cena, Edge

Edited by bolleje

Guest jaywhyte

(American) Football: 1-Michael Vick, 2-Tom Brady, 3-Desean Jackson

Baseball: 1-Roy Holladay, 2-Albert Pujols, 3-Tim Lincecum

Basketball: 1-Kobe Bryant, 2-Steve Nash, 3-Paul Pierce

Car racing: 1-Denny Hamlin, 2-Kevin Harvick, 3-Carl Edwards

Pro Wrestling: 1-Randy Orton, 2-John Morrison, 3-Dolph Ziggler

(American) Football: Tom Brady, Santonio Holmes, Matt Ryan (I could list a shitload more for this and football)

Are you kidding me? Santonio Holmes was the 2nd best player in all of Football in 2010? I could list at least 50 people who had a better 2010.

(Association) Football:

1. Lionel Messi
  2. Cristiano Ronaldo
  3. Xavi

(American) Football:

1. Michael Vick
  2. Tom Brady
  3. Phillip Rivers

Boxing:

1. David Haye
  2. Manny Pacquiao
  3. Wladimir Klitschko

1. Sebastian Vettel
  2. Mark Webber
  3. Fernando Alonso

Golf:

1. Graeme McDowell
  2. Martin Kaymer
  3. Lee Westwood

Darts:

1. Phil Taylor
  2. Simon Whitlock
  3. James Wade

Tennis:

1. Rafael Nadal
  2. Novak Djokovic
  3. Roger Federer

Pro Wrestling:

Isn't a sport.

(American) Football: Tom Brady, Santonio Holmes, Matt Ryan (I could list a shitload more for this and football)

Are you kidding me? Santonio Holmes was the 2nd best player in all of Football in 2010? I could list at least 50 people who had a better 2010.

(Association) Football:

1. Lionel Messi
  2. Cristiano Ronaldo
  3. Xavi

(American) Football:

1. Michael Vick
  2. Tom Brady
  3. Phillip Rivers

Boxing:

1. David Haye
  2. Manny Pacquiao
  3. Wladimir Klitschko

1. Sebastian Vettel
  2. Mark Webber
  3. Fernando Alonso

Golf:

1. Graeme McDowell
  2. Martin Kaymer
  3. Lee Westwood

Darts:

1. Phil Taylor
  2. Simon Whitlock
  3. James Wade

Tennis:

1. Rafael Nadal
  2. Novak Djokovic
  3. Roger Federer

Pro Wrestling:

Isn't a sport.

You really trying to argue with DJ Ice's opinion? :P

I'm a Jets fan, your just lucky I didn't put Braylon Edwards down shifty.gif.

I suppose I could edit it with "better" choices

EDIT: Devin Hester will do, although I could change to Drew Brees

Edited by DJ Ice

Baseball: Cliff Lee

MMA:

1. Ben Askren: Solidified himself as probably the top welterweight prospect in the sport at this time. Four victories, a tournament and a championship to his resume within 2010.

2. Chris Lytle: Put on three of the most impressive performances of his career which have taken him from 'career gatekeeper' to within title contention.

3. Chris Leben: Rebounded from failed drug test controversy and a poor showing upon his return in 2009 with three solid victories in 2010. One of which derailed a top touted contender and another which broke his opponents undefeated run. Eying title contention within a single fight. One of the most exciting and talk about fighters of 2010 with the Sexyama submission in the running for upset and submission of year by many.

While I juggled the idea of a number of big names in the MMA category I think the best stuff truly came from the those outside of the title scenes this year. Obviously this is just my personal opinion of how I viewed the sport and is in no way meant to discredit the accomplishments of those fighters.

• Admin

(Association) Football: Gareth Bale, Rafael van der Vaart, Leo Messi

(American) Football: Michael Vick

Cricket: Graeme Swann

Car racing: Sebastien Vettel, Mark Webber, Robert Kubica

Golf: Lee Westwood

Tennis: Rafael Nadal, Tomas Berdych

Pro Wrestling: The Miz, Daniel Bryan, Sheamus

Association) Football:

1. Lionel Messi- Simply the best player in the world and keeps continuing to impress

2. Wesley Sneijder- Focal point in helping Holland get to the World Cup Final and Inter winning the treble

3. Gareth Bale- Has come on in leaps and bounds this past year, hopefully he'll continue to improve and become one of the best players in the world. Most improved player in the Premiership

MMA:

1. Frankie Edgar- Had his 1st title shot in Abu Dhabi against a BJ Penn who had dominated in his past few fights with no one giving him a chance in hell not only beat BJ in that match but then again beat him in the rematch where no one gave him a chance again to solidify himself as not only the champion but the Number 1 Lightweight, fights Gray Maynard (the only man to beat him) on New Year.

2. George Sotiropoulos- Unbeaten in 2010 coming off impressive wins against Joe Stevenson (Unanimous Decision) in the UFC debut in Australia, beat Kurt Pellegrino by Unanimous Decision and in his last fight beat Joe Lauzon by Kimura meaning he's 7-0 in the UFC. George is in the title mix but is stuck in the situation that most of the top lightweights are booked in fights and with the recent UFC/WEC Merger meaning Anthony Pettis (WEC Lightweight Champion) will fight the winner of Frankie Edgar/Gray Maynard in a unification match, means George is stuck in limbo. Fights Dennis Siver in the UFC return to Sydney and a win should secure him the next title shot.

3. Chris Leben- With back to back losses heading into the year and the possibility of facing the cutting board, beat Jay Silva by decision and went on to face promising prospect Aaron Simpson and TKO'ed him in the 2nd round and then went on to replace Wanderlei Silva on short notice to fight Akiyama and in one of the best fights in the year in terms of excitement managed to secure a triangle choke in the 3rd round. Fights Brian Stann on New Year but 2011 looks promising for Chris.

Boxing:

1. Sergio Martinez- After a good showing against Paul Williams at the end of 2009 in which he lost by Majority decision, went onto challenge Kelly Pavlik for the WBC and WBO Middleweight titles and after getting knocked down early, came back and won a unanimous decision. Had a rematch with Paul Williams in november and secured what is possibly the knockout of the year in any combat sport to cap off an impressive 2010.

2. Amir Khan- Made his US debut against Paulie Malignaggi at Madison Square Garden winning by TKO in the 11th round in a good showing, went on to face his toughest challenge yet fighting hard hitter Marcos Maidana in a risky fight for Khan due to the criticisms of his chin. In what could be fight of the year in boxing he knocked Maidana down in the 1st and was dominating the early rounds until he got knocked down in the 10th and survived the last few rounds proving some of his critics wrong. Rumours of a possible Mayweather fight in the future keep popping up and would be a good fight to watch

3. Manny Pacquiao- I didn't wanna put him 1 or 2 for the obvious reason its Pacquiao but again this year he's shown he's the best boxer in the world. Beat Joshua Clottey rather easily and then went on to move up to Super-Welterweight and fought Antonio Margarito to try and win a title in a record 8th weight class, and again beat Margarito rather easily. Fighting Shane Mosley next but the only fight on boxing fans lips is Mayweather/Pacquiao which continues to look like it won't happen due to demands from both sides and Mayweathers recent legal problems.