Survivor: Redemption Island

sahyder1

Who do you like better?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you like better?

2. 2. Who do you think would do better in the 1vs1 Redemption Island battles?

3. 3. Do you think one of the two makes it to the final 3?

Some hardcore Survivor fans I was talking to throughout the week have been going on about how this whole episode shows why Boston Rob is one of the greatest players to never win, but seriously after playing the game FOUR times and only having one great run, admittedly against some of the all-stars of that time, how hard is it really to manipulate a bunch of noobs? Surely it can't be that hard, on your forth time playing you should know the game inside out. Next week should be a good one, with silly serect agent Phil being all silly and stealing the show, and with mr. moonshine holding "all the power", which if anything, isn't power at all, and of course lover-boys woman out for revenge, the drama is about to start rolling in, and I'll be licking my chops as it unfolds.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If hardcore survivor fans are telling you a guy that's now playing his 4th game with a bunch of survivor children who are keeping him around basically to benefit them makes him one ofthe greatest players to never win? Just.... Eeeh...

Yau Man, Cirie, Ozzy, Sugar, hell even Fairplay have all come much closer to winning than he has in one go.

And any one of them could play a bunch of newbies like a fiddle. Penner and Cao Boi could do so just as easily despite not getting quite as close as he did.

BRahb has gotten very lucky with the season thus far in that Phillip exploded and noone considered "Hey, that chick has an idol. Rob can't vote her out for the forseeable future, that means he'll target people he considers expendable.. I don't intend to give him a million dollars.. Hmmm... Maybe, I should jump ship."

Because if I had the chance, I'd jump at the opportunity to vote of Rahb. Having two players with 7 games between them is bullshit. Plus these guys are already famous and you have to worry about people getting starstruck or using them to get the end at the expense of you. In a situation like Redemption Island, it would make much more sense to put Rahb out of comission so the producers have less of a chance to bring him back, and he either goes home or sends home alot of threats for you.

In the end he can win this, he can play these people, that doesn't make him a survivor god. He's got a good social game, he's smart, hell with puzzles, strong at challenges, has good leadership abilities, and can help you make a camp.

That makes him dangerous. Let him make your shelter, get a fire going, and then kick his ass to the curb.

I knew it! Great to see Russell go. I had a feeling Russell was going tonight. Actually blogged about it earlier. Absolutely love it. With the promos saying "biggest blindside ever" all week I thought there would be a huge swerve and it'd be Russell's alliance going home. Nice to see that happen. I have to give the Zapatera tribe a ton of credit for going through with it. Steve has really impressed me. Ralph too. Lets see how he handles his idol. Throwing a challenge is one hell of a risk but getting rid of Russell is well worth it. Can't wait until next week to see how it plays out.

Edit: This game is wide open. I just don't see Russell going on a streak at Redemption Island. Challenges were never a strong suit. Lets see if Zapatera can get a core group going. Mike, David, Steve could be a major force.

Edited by sahyder1

I'm just going to go out on a limb and say no storm a-comes from Stephanie at any point.

Honestly can't judge Russell objectively because I took a, um, basically twenty season hiatus from watching Survivor (as I commented in the General TV thread, I'm currently working my way through all of it at YouTube during work hours when I can; I'm five episodes into season two which was the only one I actually watched as it aired on TV) but no matter how effectively he played in his other two games, this was pretty awful stuff. It's like he took absolutely no consideration of the fact that people have, you know, seen him on two seasons of the show on national TV, and when you don't have the charisma of Rob (and kind of a dumb, young tribe; I'm very strongly reminded of Pagong's assortment of photogenic-looking kids who all sucked at strategy from season 1) just coasting on your usual strategy seems stunningly lazy to me.

I'm just going to go out on a limb and say no storm a-comes from Stephanie at any point.

Honestly can't judge Russell objectively because I took a, um, basically twenty season hiatus from watching Survivor (as I commented in the General TV thread, I'm currently working my way through all of it at YouTube during work hours when I can; I'm five episodes into season two which was the only one I actually watched as it aired on TV) but no matter how effectively he played in his other two games, this was pretty awful stuff. It's like he took absolutely no consideration of the fact that people have, you know, seen him on two seasons of the show on national TV, and when you don't have the charisma of Rob (and kind of a dumb, young tribe; I'm very strongly reminded of Pagong's assortment of photogenic-looking kids who all sucked at strategy from season 1) just coasting on your usual strategy seems stunningly lazy to me.

I'm going back and watching all the seasons that I missed (which was a lot of them) and even the ones I did watch as well. Just got done with Borneo. Heading to Australia next.

Yeah, Russell learned nothing from his first time playing when he returned for Heroes vs Villains. That was somewhat excusable because HvsV taped before his first season actually aired on TV. Playing the same way this time around was just plain stupid. He had a huge target on his back coming in and him being arrogant certainly didn't help him one bit. This is where I don't get the Boston Rob hatred. Russell got carried by others during both of his season as well. I think it was Boston Rob who said "he's a legend in his own mind"....and I agree with that.

Stephanie flipping out was funny. In the pre-show stuff Probst had said he thought she'd be the first one voted out. Looks like he'll be close and she'll most likely be the 2nd one. The fake idol idea was genius though.

Edited by sahyder1

I'm not fond of throwing challenges, though, even with the ulterior motive of ousting Russell in mind. I kind of hope that bites Zapatera in the ass, though Ometepe seems like it's pretty weak in challenges. Plus some of the pussying around from the guys against Russell was hilarious; what the hell are you going to get from obviously lying about throwing the challenge? (Also the hilariously pointless lie about who won the challenge. YOU SURE GOT HIM, GUYS.) But yeah, Stephanie's goose is cooked. Even if she's right about some of the things she said, she hitched her entire game to Russell and painted a target on her own back. I'm pulling for Ralph to have a good run, though, because he's hilarious.

As for Borneo, that season was so fucking good, start to finish. Truly excellent lineup of characters (except for Stacey, who was sort of a nonentity that existed to be The Alliance's first victim), and everything played out in a very compelling fashion. The Outback pales in comparison initially but it's starting to shape up.

Ometepe had a big disadvantage in the first challenge having one less man. Throwing the challenge is definitely risky but I would probably have done the same. You would think that Stephanie and Krista are the obvious next two to go from Zapatera but how will Ralph's idol come into play? Will there be a power struggle amongst their group next episode or two?

Borneo was fantastic. Watching it again it was hard not to respect Kelly's run towards the end.

Kelly's run was excellent, though by the end I actually couldn't stand her because I thought her answers during the jury questioning segment were a little too cloying and "see, I'm the heroine and he's the villain." But god, that Immunity streak was so impressive and she deserved to make final two more than anyone else who was still there at that point (Colleen was dead in the water and she knew it, Sean was a nice guy but also an idiot strategically, Rudy was fantastic but had he not gotten in the alliance/had Rich not liked him so much he wouldn't have lasted, and Sue had the strategy but not the impulse control and thank god for that because that's what led to the awesome "Snakes and Rats" speech).

Another great episode, loving this season.

Ralph is awesome, he's NOT what I expected. He actually seems to know how to play the game.

I have a feeling Russell will go home next week immediately. If it's anything athletic Matt is too good for Russell, who never excelled in challenges anyway.

Rob is doing really well but I can see the girls teaming up against him before the merge.

Three moments in this game made me realize that some of these people aren't made out for Survivor.

Throwing a challenge. Seriously. This has NEVER worked out in Survivor. Ever. Point me to an incident where it was a positive gain in throwing a challenge.

Andrea crying over Matt. Seriously. You knew the guy 7 days... get the fuck over it and fast. There are two other able bodies sitting around camp who can take the same place in that alliance. Jesus Christ. People don't realize this is a game for 1 million dollars.

Stephanie at tribal council. Seriously! Instead of putting your neck out there for Russell, why not be quiet, play nice and regroup. Going off the handle puts a target on your back and makes you less trustworthy. Amateur hour.

Great season of Survivor so far. I mean, I'm not the best judge since I've only really not liked one season (Fiji), but it's been great so far. I think Russell time on Survivor is coming to an end next week, but anything can happen.

Oh, and on the subject of past seasons... Australia and Africa are good, but I think it really hits it stride around Marquesas. It fundamentally changed the way the game was played. The first 3 seasons, in my opinion, are their own television shows. It was more about tribe vs. tribe. But after season 4, you get an idea of what the game of Survivor becomes.

Edited by RockPaperScissors

Moment I saw what the challenge was a I had a feeling Russell's goose was cooked. Loved him baiting Ralph into revealing he had the idol, though.

And I'm just about finished with Outback now, and basically my feeling on it is the same as it was when I watched it; Colby was the best player but by that point I was so sick of him winning everything that Tina winning was fine.

Haven't watched tonights episode yet but I hadn't chimed in on last weeks episode yet.

Even after being voted off Russell STILL doesn't get it. Him talking about going was pretty funny.

Phillip sweeping the camp while everyone was trying to sleep was hysterical. Seriously, do they regularly sweep campgrounds on Survivor? I'm not a camper but doesn't dust come right back? Is it even worth wasting your time doing it? Hilarious and true statement from Boston Rob on Phillip's Survivor attire. Did he not know he was going to be on TV? Also Phillip: It is not just young people who don't get you, it is humans in general.

I like Ralph but I'm not sure there was a need for him to reveal the idol to his entire tribe at that moment. The tribe was united in voting out Russell and they would have done the same for Stephanie and Krista. Now the moment those two get voted off doesn't he become target number one or are people fascinated enough by him to wan to keep playing with him? Heck, wouldn't the other five at least think about voting him out before Stephanie and Krista? One thing is for sure, his ego seems to be getting bigger each episode. Mike says "We are controlling this tribe", but....you are the tribe! There are six of you. It is not like it is a group of three or four that is pulling off some big blindsides.

CBS has an

of Ralph talking about his thought process with the revelation of the idol. As always be careful not to go read the comments as from time to time people post spoilers there.

Phillip wanting to go to Redemption Island to collect "intel" and wanting Kristina to go with him? It had to be a no-brainer for the rest of the Ometepe tribe to send them right? Take the two people who you don't want around camp and send them away for a few hours? Seems like a gift.

Russell dubs the duel "Good vs Evil" and it was pretty much that. Everyone who isn't a fanatical Russell fan was rooting for Matt by default. I really liked the challenge. Would have loved to see this as a challenge post merge for individual immunity. Matt winning the duel was awesome. Sarita's reaction to Russell losing was awesome. Russell Hantz crying was beyond awesome. The fool STILL doesn't get it. You got voted off buddy. Stop pretending as though you ever were ever a team player. Stop pretending as though you have ever cared about your tribe. Stop pretending as though you respect the game. You got voted off because you were worthless to the tribe.

There is a bonus scene online with http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UXBIwFgZNig.

Here is another bonus scene.

I actually think it is somewhat brilliant. Did the rest of the tribe really leave rice cooking and left those three in charge?

Ralph did make a mistake in revealing that he had an idol but to rub salt in Russell's wounds I probably would have done the same. I refuse to believe Russell when he says that he is done with Survivor. He may want to call Boston Rob a "Survivor whore" but at the time Redemption Island was taped he had been on Survivor three times in around a year.

How awesome was Boston Rob's "Beach Day?" Absolutely brilliant. This is the part that Russell never understood, he would just go looking for the idols when everyone else was looking at him. Boston Rob spent all morning planting the seeds for it with his "upset stomach". I really thought for a moment that someone was going to spot him looking for the idol. I'm actually glad he found it. Really want to see what he ends up doing with it. Hopefully he's in a position to use it post merge.

Absolutely loved the emotions from the Zapatera tribe after finding out Russell is gone for good.

Phillip wants Kristina to trust him while he talks to Boston Rob in order to try and keep her around? Kristina wisely thinks it was a terrible idea and just decides to let Phil be Phil and let him shoot himself in the foot. Phil tries to blackmail Boston and he calls him out for it.

Hey dumbass, aren’t you in MY alliance? Don’t you work for me?

Grant is smart in wanting to get rid of Phillip at the earliest possible time.

The reward at the challenge was a Craftsman took kit. I agree with Jeff Probst that product placement is the future of television. We just have to get used to dealing with it. There is no way around it when so many people DVR shows and skip right over the commercials. It was a big win for Zapatera. First of all there was food involved and that is always important on Survivor but even more important was not giving Ometepe momentum in the aftermath of the thrown challenge from last week. Maybe they know what they are doing after all!

I really can't believe no one on the tribe told Phillip that his "pre tribal tribal council" as Boston Rob referred to it earlier in the season were needed. Great work from Kristina trying to bond with the girls against Phillip. Great work from Rob in not giving away that he had the idol. How brilliant was his splitting the votes strategy as though there really was a doubt about who had the idol. The plan seemed to be that the Andrea, Ashley and Natalie would vote for Kristina while Rob and Grant would vote for Phillip. Unlike Russell though Rob is wise enough to know that this is a big enough vote and there is a possibility that someone else on the tribe could rip away from him and hurt his plan.

We saw Rob talking about Kristina joining the tribe too late at Tribal. There is a

that expands on that.

Fuck it, after tonight I want Stephanie to sneak her way into the merge. It's too good of a hook to see what happens if she makes it there. I think Krista seemed to outright take the bullet for her at Tribal Council too; their answers seemed outright designed so Krista would take the heat for being brutally honest whereas Stephanie played the "maybe I'll become a better person" role (spoiler: she won't). Plus she's just got moxie and makes for good TV, and someone on Zapatera needs to, good god.

Just wanted to post some thoughts on last weeks episode before watching tonights show.

Barring Boston Rob being sent home in some big blindside there was very little possiblity of anything topping the departure of Russell Hantz from Redemption Island on this episode.

Them teasing Phillip plotting an overthrow is funny. Who in there right mind would align with him? Andrea's best bet if she wants to make a move is at the merge. I think she is smart enough to know that she can't trust Phillip.

Boston Rob faking out Grant with the clue was awesome. I had to go rewind it on DVR and watch it again. Brilliant stuff.

Have no idea what the hell Zapatera was thinking not having David do the puzzle. Stupid move. If you look at bonus scenes on YouTube they have a couple addressing David flipping out at Sarita.

Stephanie was brilliant at Redemption Island. I don't know if Boston Rob bought her word or not but if she makes it to the merge I want to see the Stephanie/Zapatera showdown.

I don't think Krista has any shot against Matt at Redemption Island. Matt's run is on its way to being one of the great Survivor challenge runs of all time.

If I were Zapatera I probably would have voted out Stephanie because she is more likely to cause trouble at the merge but I guess they kept her for the challenges and being afraid of losing another one.

Ugh. This season's taking a turn for the douche. Stephanie vs. Matt next week could be good, though. Hopefully it's a puzzle challenge/something that won't obviously benefit the fact that Matt is a super-athletic guy and Steph is tiny.

On another note, I've moved on to season four now. Very, very interesting to see Boston Rob as he was playing nine years ago vs. how he plays now.

Ugh. This season's taking a turn for the douche. Stephanie vs. Matt next week could be good, though. Hopefully it's a puzzle challenge/something that won't obviously benefit the fact that Matt is a super-athletic guy and Steph is tiny.

On another note, I've moved on to season four now. Very, very interesting to see Boston Rob as he was playing nine years ago vs. how he plays now.

Should start a separate thread to discuss past seasons. I really want to get in on that discussion but you are just going through them much faster then I am at this point.

Good episode last week. Man, how dominant was Grant in that Immunity Challenge? I really was expecting more from Mike but he got dominated. I absolutely loved Rob mentioning that he doesn't want the women on his tribe to be doing anything because he wants them to annoy everyone so people don't vote to give them the million. Brilliant.

Great infighting between Zapatera. David going to fight for Stephanie was one hell of a risky move on his part unless he's sure that Steve and Mike will continue to be on his side. He put a big target on his back.

I can't believe Boston Rob and Grant were that careless with the Immunity Idol clue. I'm guessing Phillip uses that in tonights episode to stir some trouble.

Absolutely loving Matt's run. They couldn't have asked for a better guy to be the first guy on Redemption Island. Needed a good story to sell the idea and a dominant run like this is perfect. Just get the feeling that this might be building up to a Rob/Matt feud. How intense would that be?

Karma is a bitch, Zapatera.

EDIT: LOL, Sarita claiming she can do anything David can do when she was a key reason for Zapatera's loss, and they only caught up because he started doing what she had done previously.

Last night's episode. Holy shit.

Couldn't agree more. I don't think it could have gone better for Boston Rob if someone had scripted this for him.

I wanted to see Matt make it back in but man he's an idiot. If you're going to make a move......make it. Don't go and tell arguably the greatest to ever play the game that you were considering voting him out when he's already tossed you aside in the past. Absolutely cluless.....and tho throw Andrea under the bus too. I feel bad for her as she's played a pretty smart game until now.

How great was it that they flushed out Ralph's idol and still keep the majority. I figure someone from Zapatera goes next week and if Phillilp becomes a problem he goes the week after although the bonus scenes on CBS.com seem to suggest that he's feeling part of the tribe again.

I like that they restarted Redemption Island. I figure someone will come back in for the Final 5 or 6. How crazy would it be if Matt wins out again?

Really impressed with Natalie pulling out the immunity too. If Rob takes her and Ashley to the end she could win it all if people choose not to vote for Boston Rob.