2011 MLB Season

sahyder1

Napoli should consider himself lucky. Three hours as a Blue Jay is three hours too long. :shifty:

Could be worse. Three hours in Yankee Stadium and Cliff Lee bolted from the entire American League.

• Like 1

Napoli should consider himself lucky. Three hours as a Blue Jay is three hours too long. :shifty:

Could be worse. Three hours in Yankee Stadium and Cliff Lee bolted from the entire American League.

That argument became forfeit when he chose PHILLY as the place to raise a family. That's up there on the BS meter with Mike Hampton choosing Colorado because of the school system :shifty:

That argument became forfeit when he chose PHILLY as the place to raise a family. That's up there on the BS meter with Mike Hampton choosing Colorado because of the school system :shifty:

Right, we kept hearing from mid-October on that Lee's wife hated the Yankee fans and has no interest in her husband playing there but let's absolutely ignore it as a factor. Nonetheless I was being facetious just as I'm hoping Meac was given that his claims have no basis in reality. Coming to Toronto wasn't a tragic experience for guys like Marco Scutaro, Jose Bautista, Scott Downs and the others whose careers were rescued here and leaving it certainly wasn't a blessing for the AJ Burnett's of this world.

Right, we kept hearing from mid-October on that Lee's wife hated the Yankee fans and has no interest in her husband playing there but let's absolutely ignore it as a factor. Nonetheless I was being facetious just as I'm hoping Meac was given that his claims have no basis in reality. Coming to Toronto wasn't a tragic experience for guys like Marco Scutaro, Jose Bautista, Scott Downs and the others whose careers were rescued here and leaving it certainly wasn't a blessing for the AJ Burnett's of this world.

Yankee fans are generally ignorant, stupid, and probably spit at fans of the opposition, but at least they don't puke on people. It's hard to say that any town is worse than Philly when it comes to their fanbases and how they treat people at games. Having said that, those franchises are successful so maybe Mets fans need to start beating people up in the stands to win championships :shifty:

Yankee fans are generally ignorant, stupid, and probably spit at fans of the opposition, but at least they don't puke on people. It's hard to say that any town is worse than Philly when it comes to their fanbases and how they treat people at games. Having said that, those franchises are successful so maybe Mets fans need to start beating people up in the stands to win championships :shifty:

Cliff Lee's wife is safe in Philly. Philly fans only force themselves to throw up on children.

Keith Law's Organizational Rankings of the MLB Farm Systems is up, with the Royals predictably on top. The entire list.

1. Royals

2. Rays

3. Braves

4. Blue Jays

5. Phillies

6. Angels

7. Twins

8. Reds

9. Yankees

10. Mariners

11. Red Sox

12. Rangers

13. Diamondbacks

14. Cardinals

15. Rockies

16. Padres

17. Indians

18. Athletics

19. Nationals

20. Cubs

21. Pirates

22. Dodgers

23. Giants

24. Orioles

25. Tigers

26. Mets

27. Astros

28. White Sox

29. Marlins

30. Brewers

Has to have been a while since the BoSox were below the Yankees system, but with the amount of picks they have early this year that won't be for too long. Especially if the Yanks graduate Jesus Montero to the big league roster this year. Also kind of mindblowing that the Phillies manage to keep their system stocked despite the deals to get Oswalt, Halladay and Lee (the 2009 deal obviously). Various organizational lists come tomorrow along with the top prospects list.

Saw this in the paper yesterday, this would be an interesting one to watch...

Florida's series against Seattle in late June was moved to Seattle because U2 booked the Sun Life Stadium the week of that series. So now the Marlins are the home team in Safeco, playing to NL rules.

If I lived in Seattle, I'd check one of those games out.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/31/the-wilpons-are-no-strangers-to-ponzi-schemes/

If you're not in the tri-state area, it seems that there's a chance that the Wilpons were involved in another Ponzi scheme before this one and that's why they've been so tight lipped about everything for the last couple of years. In short, The Coupons could be in deep shit. They're willing to sell up to 25% of the team, but given their involvement with the Madoff scheme and the fact that they've been lying about their financials ever since news of it broke, I can only hope they end up selling the team and the SNY network and give Mets fans a group of competent owners. These guys have done everything wrong since Yadier Fucking Molina closed their championship window in 2006, and now we know exactly why they've been unwilling to eat Luis Castillo's contract and didn't improve the team at all this offseason.

Edited by naiwf

Andy Pettitte is scheduled to retire at a 10:30 press conference tomorrow.

2011 is looking a lot like Sabathia and Hughes and then the Yankees lose. THEEEEEEEE YANKEEEES LOOOOSE!

Knowing the Yankees, they'll trade for someone good in July. And then win a lot of 11-9 games, hoping Rivera's arm doesn't fall off.

There is no doubt in my mind the Yankees will have added a decent-big named pitcher by trading deadline. Right now the most likely candidate is Chris Carpenter, with a long shot being King Felix.

The only way I don't see them adding someone is if their young pitchers really step up and Burnett has a big bounce-back year.

There is no circumstance under which King Felix gets moved at the deadline. He's under contract for four more years and the M's will look to continue to build with prospects like Ackley, Franklin and Smoak. The only way Carpenter gets dealt is if the Cards are out of the playoff picture, and I don't see that happening come deadline. Zack Grienke I'd similarly doubt unless the Brewers who have already addressed their primary need (trading for two opening day starters) somehow fail to contend in the Central. Carmona and Blanton are potential options, although I fear how either of them would fare in the AL East given Carmona's past inconsistency and Joe Blanton being Joe Blanton. Right now they can either overpay for a second-tier starter with top tier prospects (ie Banuelos, Montero, Sanchez) or they can try to patchwork a rotation together as best as they can find. Either way starting pitching is unlikely to be a huge strength for them in 2011 given the huge arms in the Sox and Rays organizations.

The Orioles have an interesting line-up going into the new season. If Derek Lee can have a comeback year, then mixing him in with Vlad, Nick Markakis and Brian Roberts could create a very potent offence. Mark Reynolds is a slugger, but we will see if he can adjust to AL pitching. I don't like his 200+ strikeouts each year, and it could go even higher against pitchers he hasn't seen. Adam Jones and Matt Weiters could also improve as they continue to grow into top level players.

I think the Orioles will struggle a bit, since they haven't improved the bullpen and their pitchers are all young. I think the Orioles will be much better then last season and take a leap, becoming a 80 win team. I also see Toronto pushing 90, with Tampa coming down to 80.