2011 MLB Season

sahyder1

I just got home to find out that the Yankees lost :D

My initial reaction was simply "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!" [/Paul Bearer]

QFE...all I need is Doc Halladay to come through on the mound now and I"m happy

Phillies over Cards, Diamondbacks over Brewers, and then in the ALCS the Rangers over the Tigers, NLCS - Phillies, Rangers/Phillies World Series.

Not entirely confident in the Rangers over Tigers prediction though.

A-Rod's going to be the typical whipping boy here, and this time it's deserved. After "redeeming" himself in 2009 all he had to was be not noticeably terrible and nobody would ever question him again. Sure enough he has an absolute miserable postseason. But let's not like he's alone here.

For the third time Mark Teixeira was terrible. A-Rod is old/injured/done...Teixiera is in his prime still. What's wrong with this guy? Nick Swisher can't get a big postseason hit for his life either. Listen it's fun seeing you clown around during the regular season but we need a real gamer in the playoffs. Three years he's proven he can't step up when it matters most. Then we have CC whose ERA must have been around 8. If you check out CC's numbers this guy is just simply not a big postseason pitcher either. With exception to 2009 (A-Rod's big playoff year) CC has been terrible in every single postseason he's been involved in.

And then of course we have The Captain who will literally get 0 blame for this. He booted a play in game 2 which led to a rally and Detroit scoring some runs. In games 2 & 3 he came up to the plate with a clearly rattled Valverde on the mound, and he whiffed both times effectively killing both rallies. Now looking forward we have to watch A-Rod & Jeter, two guys way past their prime now, lock up the corner of our infield for 50 million. Geez.

The best playoff moment came from the one and only Big Game Burnett...sorry had to rant a bit.

...Another thing about Teixeira's postseason struggles that annoy me right now. A week ago when they are playing the Tampa Rays seemingly all Yankee fans want to see them lose. What does Tex do? Hit two homers, including a Grand Slam. Then he completely decides to shut it down for the postseason...thanks for that.

Edited by Panni89

A-Rod was hurt all year. He just wasn't A-Rod at all this entire year. That'd be the reason he'd get a pass from me. Texeira didn't hit again but he typically gets a pass around here because of his defense. Swisher is just awful. C.C is a bad postseason pitcher but he'll opt out and still get overpaid by the Yankees because they desperately need him. Jeter got a complete pass as usual.

Aside from Gardner, Cano and Burnett was there any positives for the Yankees here? Granderson is an iffy. He's getting credited for the two big catches even though on the first it was his fault that the play wasn't a routine fly ball in the first place.

A-Rod is on the hook for $29,000,000 next year. He made $31,000,000 this year and $33,000,000 last year. He hit 30 HR last year and 16 this year (granted he was plagued by injury). Assuming he stays healthy next season he'll probably get around 25-28 HR. Let's take the high end of that estimation at 28, that's assuming he has a natural regression of power with his injury history and age. That would be a combined 72 HR, ~.270 AVG in three season while making $93,000,000 during that span. Can ANYONE dispute this guy is overpaid? He's aging quickly and probably won't be credible in the field much longer and will be reduced to DH with the occasional day in the field. Does anyone see him making a move to the outfield? A-Rod seems like the type with the ego that won't let him do anything that might question his ability.

• Like 1

They paid him all that money thinking he would break the career HR record in a Yankees uniform. Now it seems doubtful since he'd probably need 5 more full and entirely productive seasons to get the 134 needed to beat Bonds. I don't think he'll cliff dive in power production like Adam Dunn did this year, but that would be awesome.

A-Rod is on the hook for $29,000,000 next year. He made $31,000,000 this year and $33,000,000 last year. He hit 30 HR last year and 16 this year (granted he was plagued by injury). Assuming he stays healthy next season he'll probably get around 25-28 HR. Let's take the high end of that estimation at 28, that's assuming he has a natural regression of power with his injury history and age. That would be a combined 72 HR, ~.270 AVG in three season while making $93,000,000 during that span. Can ANYONE dispute this guy is overpaid? He's aging quickly and probably won't be credible in the field much longer and will be reduced to DH with the occasional day in the field. Does anyone see him making a move to the outfield? A-Rod seems like the type with the ego that won't let him do anything that might question his ability.

Everyone knows that the Yankees overpaid him on that last deal. Both him and Jeter are making ridiculous money as they age here. Yankees were bidding against no one but themselves when they gave him this last deal.

I don't see A-Rod going to the OF and no it has nothing to do with his ego. Are you forgetting he gave up being the greatest SS of all time and already went through a position change? He'll be the DH and that is why Montero will get traded by the Yankees.

I don't think Montero is going anywhere. I agree A-Rod will more than likely move to DH, if not this upcoming year than definitely after that. But they'll have Montero starting behind the plate before getting rid of his bat.

From the sounds of it they don't like him behind the plate at all. They love his bat. If I had to bet I'd say he goes in a trade for a RF or a SP. Martin will be back as the catcher. I think the Yankees look at Sanchez as their future catcher.

What does the future at 3B look like for the Yankees? Any good prospects down in the farm, or is Evan Longoria going to man the position in a couple of years?

Yankees are supposed to have catchers and pitching depth in the minors. Haven't heard anything about any infielder being on the horizon.

Edited by sahyder1

I feel like A-Rod almost has to play a position as long as humanly possible. The scary thought is where his bat will be when he's at the stage of no longer being able to provide defensive value. Take a look at this chart, look at the trajectory of his slugging percentage numbers and ask yourself, given a natural regression rate (which we've now got a 4 year sample size to suggest he's pretty much following), where they'll be in 2-3 years? Probably not at the rate of an above average DH.