Rastamouse

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

There was a thing the other week where parents were saying they didn't want their kids watching this, copying what was said and then repeating it on the playground where it might offend someone and be deemed racist. <_<

Best English kid's TV since Oliver Postgate hung up his Clangers....wait, what a ridiculous metaphor. Never mind.

Was it Charlie Brooker who said Rastamouse was one of the best examples of multiculturalism you can find? It might be soaked in Jamaican patois and whatnot, but it's still intrinsically and undeniably English. It's a beautiful thing.

• Like 2

Got introduced to this by the friend of a friend, and this is genuis. You can watch the whole of "Da Missin Masterpiece" on iPlayer BTW.

It made me giggle far too much when I heard the president was called Wensley Dale. I worry about my mental age sometimes.

I love it. Simply being stop-motion animation is instant-win, but it's good fun too.

I also find the 'racist' suggestion pretty damn ridiculous. Pretty much the only thing that separates it from your typical British kids show is the dialect (in that they're not from a lost corner of Middle England, see: Postman Pat et al). The adventures are pretty standard fare and the characters aren't portrayed negatively in any way. They just, if you'll forgive me, "speak funny". But it's not like that dialect doesn't exist in the real world, so I can't deem a show to be racist just because it picks a culture from outside the Home Counties to draw on.

I understand if parents don't want their kids copying the way they speak, but then if they've been letting them watch Teletubbies and In The Night Garden since an early age then they're probably fucked already.

• Like 1