Oscars 2011

GoGo Yubari

It's the Oscars. I really don't think they care about 'connecting with a larger audience'.

Yes they do. It's why they expanded it from five Best Picture nominees to ten, because everyone was furious over The Dark Knight not getting a nomination. They're just still not going to ever give Best Picture to movies like that (honestly for good reason).

So, I finally watched The Fighter last night.

It's a fucking tragedy that Melissa Leo won Best Supporting Actress out over Hailee Steinfeld. I mean, there was nothing wrong with her performance, but Steinfeld gave a fantastic performance for an adult actress at the age of like... 14. In no good world should she have lost to what was at best a 'good' performance. I'd honestly say she was pretty forgettable, though that may be more due to the strength of Bales performance and how good the story was.

Leo winning was the worst part of the night, more than Kings Speech winning, more than Exit Through the Gift Shop losing Documentary.

She wasn't bad, but I still think that out of the two from The Fighter, Amy Adams was better. Leo was louder, but Adams was better.

I was pushing for Adams or Stienfeld.

I watched The Fighter for the first time this morning - and yeah, I agree that Leo was undeserving on top of other actresses. She did do a good job instilling emotion in me, but how the hell can you avoid that with the character that she was playing? Eh, from what I have seen Hailee still deserved it - and I agree Adams was the better from The Fighter.