Film Review Site?

NM!

I've been thinking about doing a group site for a while now. As for the actual site's theme remained a mystery to me until just now. I can see that there's plenty of people here that enjoy watching movies and television on a regular, if not a daily, basis. Now, this site would revolve around that very theme of movies and tv, however the articles don't necessarily have to be just reviews. It could be a place to post any other column you believe could fit for the site, whether it be lists of top/worst/"game changing"/etc., news, or something never seen before. Do you guys believe we could get something started, or is it something that wouldn't be worth putting tume into?

Something to that effect, but it can easily be more than the "big movies" that come out every week. It can be any movie that you have revently seen, whether it be brand new or a movie that came out years ago. It could be anything really. There's not much of a restriction on what this site could be, and how we can go about it. I would be in no means the "main" poster for the site, since I could see this being a nice mutual site that a few of us could write our thoughts, perceptions, and some insight on anything in entertainment. Like I said, this site could become anything. I'd just like to get a few people together, make some really good ideas, and try it out.

I'd love to be a part of this, mostly because talking about talkies are one of my favorite things to do. I'd just be scared that other people don't have my taste in movies, though.

I mean, I think I'm the only person in the world that liked Invictus.

The thing with this though, is that you can explain why you liked it so much, and go into as much detail as you'd like on it. Everyone's taste in movies is different and this site gives each one of us the chance to share the ones we like. We can just hope that someone who finds the site interesting sticks by and can find 'new' movies to watch that they may have never known about, or even considered watching.

I'm sure you can work with that. I mean with plenty of people, you can kind of appear from here and there with a running: "guest review" sort of deal.

As for monitoring it, I found out that you can make a group site on posterous. I need to check it out a bit more, but if that doesn't work, we can try out another site that would allow us to run it together.

Yeah, tv shows can fit into the site nicely. I'll just leave this open for about a day or so? Hoping more can get involved, but two definite writers and two 'guest' contributors can work as well. I'm going to put up a test site considering we can change the name of the site whenever we please.

Well, I'd hope that the people contributing would take it a bit serious, :shifty:

I think we could probably figure out if someone is just spamming the place with over-the-top reviews of movies that aren't at least average. I guess I would just say that it would depend on the situation, and we could vote on if we take the review down for spam or leave it as a legitimate contribution.

I'd be interested if there was a spot.

I do my own film related blog but I'd gladly write for something else because it's not like I have much to do anyway.

Would also motivate me to maybe keep a more consistent schedule of posting stuff up.

Well, I'd hope that the people contributing would take it a bit serious, :shifty:

I think we could probably figure out if someone is just spamming the place with over-the-top reviews of movies that aren't at least average. I guess I would just say that it would depend on the situation, and we could vote on if we take the review down for spam or leave it as a legitimate contribution.

That's the problem. Some people REALLY like movies that others consider average. For example, I enjoyed the Guy Ritchie film "Revolver" which plenty of people hated and was linked to Kaballah or something. Some would say that a positive review of that isn't taking things seriously when I could write a piece on why I think it's decent.

I also HATED Lost in Translation. I found the characters unlikeable, the plot unenjoyable and the setting weak. Still, I'm clearly in the wrong as everyone gushed (literally in some parts) over it. Either you've got to allow all well written reviews into the site (regardless of what their view is) and that the best films will naturally rise to the top....Or you decide that there's going to be a measure of what's allowed - either by looking at another site's top hundred list or you personally deciding what's allowed a good review and what isn't.

Just something to think about. Movies are emotive thing.

Hmm..

I'm not so big on just allowing people to write about a specific set of movies, due to the restriction that would occur a while into it, but what if we do "Counter-Reviews"?

If anyone sees a review that is just completely against what they feel about the movie, and they feel the need to counter it, they can write a separate review that would be a mix of a review and "dissecting" the other's contribution. The only thing we would have to be sure about with this would be that the counter is in no way going to be a "You're stupid" ordeal. It would have to be a "professional" review that has clear points. Do you think that might work out better? If not, then I would have to go with your idea on using a 'top' list, at least for the start of this project.

Counter-reviews are good if well written and vetted (but not edited or nazi-modded). More magazines are now giving second opinions on movies, games or technology by having another reporter giving a paragraph or so on the page which may be agreeing, disagreeing or offering a different view. It's good to have all sides covered.

I would definitely relish any opportunity to get in on the ground floor of something like this, and would love to be a contributor. I'd perhaps be better suited for video reviews since that's something I'm capable of, because as anyone here that knows me can tell you, I'm horrid at forming actual sentences. Not sure if you have something that large of scope in mind, or if you're hoping for mainly written articles, but either way I would be interested.