The Thread Where We've All Got Playoff Beards

Ruki

Guest mr. potato head

I've been reading On the Road Again, Howard Berger's chronicle of the Leafs' 1998-99 season. Apparently right before Felix went to the Islanders, there was serious talk of a big deal with Calgary which would have seen Theo Fleury and Greg Simpson to Toronto for Felix, Jason Smith, Todd Warriner and Steve Sullivan. Why Warriner and Sullivan?

At the time, Sullivan and Warriner were being offered merely so the Leafs could open up a couple of roster positions. St. John's farmhands Lonny Bohonos, Ladislav Kohn, Jason Podollan, Yuri Khmylev and Kevyn Adams were among a group of players that Smith and Quinn wanted to audition at the NHL level.

In hindsight, that list does NOT look good. I don't even remember Yuri Khmylev. :shifty:

Guest mr. potato head

Reason why the Memorial Cup is awesome #5902: Pretty sure I just heard a Shawinigan assistant coach yell "Get off the ice bitch!" while in the middle of an interview with Sportsnet :lol:

Guest mr. potato head

Don Cherry thinks the Kings will win because they have guys with heart and character, by which he means "23 North Americans, 14 Canadians and nine guys from Ontario."

Don Cherry thinks the Kings will win because they have guys with heart and character, by which he means "23 North Americans, 14 Canadians and nine guys from Ontario."

You mean nine GOOD ONATRIAN BOYS EH! LET'S GO!

Busy morning for non-playoff stuff. Nik Lidstrom announces his retirement and Bob Hartley is in as coach of the Flames.

Very fun game last night. I thought NJ looked beter for long stretches of the 2nd and 3rd and maybe earned a win that they didn't get, but the defensive breakdown on the winning goal with nobody taking Kopitar was horrid.

Guest mr. potato head

You mean nine GOOD ONATRIAN BOYS EH! LET'S GO!

No, I don't. That was a direct quote. He was surprisingly subdued for most of the night.

Well no wonder Los Angeles has been doing so well in the playoffs, if they have 23 North Americans, 14 Canadians, and 9 guys from Ontario, that by itself is 46 guys. No team can compete with a roster that deep.

• Like 2