The Thread Where We've All Got Playoff Beards

Ruki

....really, Calgary?

I think people forget that the draft is about acquiring talent for development, as opposed to acquiring talent to help out immediately.

Jankowski is a big center who is still physically developing. Everyone's always talking about the need for a big center on their team. Jay Feaster goes out and turns one pick into two, still picking up a piece that fits a glaring need, and people are freaking out about it.

This kid is definitely not going to step in and play NHL hockey in the next two years, but that's not what the draft is for. Teams using that philosophy have killed or severely derailed several careers by rushing guys into the league before they were ready.

The fixing of the NHL team is going to happen. Feaster knows that a big contract has to go out, and he's shopping the right guy in Bouwmeester. I don't even care if we get anything in return, just get him the fuck out of Calgary. We're severely overpaying him to play lots of soft minutes on the blueline. Hardly what we signed him to do. Get him out, and use some of that money to go after some free agents to help out, and leave a spot or two for some kids. Baertschi's definitely in the lineup next season, Brodie's solidified his spot. It's just a matter of moving Bouwmeester and trying to get a good piece from free agency. The team played their best last season when more rookies were in the lineup, so if Feaster just lets the rest of our free agents walk, maybe signing one or two of them, and gets rid of Bouwmeester, we should be in a better position than last season.

I like Edmonton taking Yakupov. If they are close to competitive at the end of next year, they can move Gagner or another forward to better their defence. A full healthy season from Whitney would be good too.

Not sure I buy into all the Subban hype. Depends how he develops. Can think of 6-7 OHL goalies offhand who were better than him last year, though admittedly they had a year or two on him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/puck-daddy-chats-nhl-draft-guru-kyle-woodlief-155629235--nhl.html

I had Malcolm Subban going to New Jersey at No. 29, but he's not in our top 60.

We don't like him. He's got a terrible, terrible glove hand. As athletic and acrobatic as he is, there are a lot of holes in his game. He over-commits on every play, he's terrible handling the puck behind his net and confuses his defensemen.

Guest mr. potato head

Not sure I buy into all the Subban hype. Depends how he develops. Can think of 6-7 OHL goalies offhand who were better than him last year, though admittedly they had a year or two on him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/puck-daddy-chats-nhl-draft-guru-kyle-woodlief-155629235--nhl.html

I had Malcolm Subban going to New Jersey at No. 29, but he's not in our top 60.

We don't like him. He's got a terrible, terrible glove hand. As athletic and acrobatic as he is, there are a lot of holes in his game. He over-commits on every play, he's terrible handling the puck behind his net and confuses his defensemen.

Is that something to back my opinion up by saying "this apparent expert doesn't like him either!" or something to tear it down by saying "you said there's a lot of hype but I was able to find one guy who disagrees so your entire post is invalid!"?

Guest mr. potato head

Leafs grab Matt Finn. Defence-first mentality is almost comical at this point, but it's a steal at 35. Finn will likely never be a superstar, but there's almost no chance of him not having a long career as an above-average defenceman.

Guest mr. potato head

Mitchell Heard to Colorado in a bit of a shock, mainly because this is his third year eligible. Put up decent numbers with Plymouth this year, was definitely one of the reasons they were such a strong team, but not all that flashy for someone with his age advantage. Takes some bad penalties.

(I promise that I'm only commenting on prospects whose teams have an EWB following *and* who I know at least a little bit about.)

Guest mr. potato head

Wow, the second day goes quick. Not even an hour in and they've already finished almost two rounds.

Third-round thoughts: Adam Pelech's a great pick for the Islanders, he's better than his stats indicate because he played on a legendarily weak team. Kosmachuk's going to need another year in junior, but he could end up with Winnipeg sooner than many expect IMO. Detroit took Jake Paterson, who I can't see being an NHL starting goalie, but stranger things have happened. Pittsburgh took Matthew Murray a few spots later and tbf I think he projects better than Paterson. Jarrod Maidens could be a steal for Ottawa, second-line potential there.

Leafs grab Matt Finn. Defence-first mentality is almost comical at this point, but it's a steal at 35. Finn will likely never be a superstar, but there's almost no chance of him not having a long career as an above-average defenceman.

Really? Another defenseman? Boo! :shifty:

But, I will trust you that this guy will be good.

And Gus traded? Interesting!

35. Ryan Rupert - F - London Knights

If he was taller, Rupert would be inside my top 10, but there are definite concerns as to whether he can be successful with the type of game he plays, at pushing 5'9. He's one of the most complete players in the draft and one of the top two way centers. His tenacity away from the puck and compete level makes him a very good defender. This particular skill also lends favorably to his ability to win loose puck battles in the offensive end. His forechecking ability was absolutely massive in London's victory over Niagara in the OHL Championship. As a playmaker, he sees the ice well and is patient with the puck. He'll work the cycle in order to tire the opposition, and is able to create plays for his linemates with his puck protection ability. But he can also finish off plays, especially around the net. He's smart and picks his spots well to hit the net hard, often finding loose pucks to put into the net. The one thing he'll have to work on is his ability to stay out of the penalty box, as he can cross the line between rough and dirty. Being a pest is a great quality to have for a smaller player, he just needs to cut down on the undisciplined penalties. Even though Rupert remains unranked by Central Scouting, a terrific playoff run should at least see him drafted in the later rounds.

We drafted this guy at 157. I like the sounds of him!

Brad Ross used to take dumb penalties, but then I think the Leafs sent him to a sports psychologist or something and he calmed down a lot. Likely will do the same here.

Guest mr. potato head

Gus traded for basically nothing, you mean.

Some really interesting picks while I was out:

#92 - Pittsburgh takes Matia Marcantuoni. Surprised he was still available. Was in the top 20 in some rankings at the beginning of the year, but slid consistently. This was supposed to be his breakout season, but injuries (concussion and then shoulder surgery) derailed that. In the 20 or so games he played, he looked better than he has before, but not first-round material - but maybe that can be chalked up to the injuries, who knows? High risk, high reward. Exactly what you should be doing in the later rounds.

#96 - New Jersey takes Ben Thomson. This pick has Peter DeBoer written all over it. Nobody wanted Thomson last year, and while he took his game to another level this year, not even the local guys were expecting him to get taken at all this year. Assuming the Devils were the only team interested, surprise they'd take him this soon. Could become a solid checking-line NHLer though. He was the gritty guy on our top line this year, great defensive skills for a forward and was able to score a few goals too. To keep the Kitchener/New Jersey comparisons flowing, David Clarkson is a very, very good comparison player.

#99 - Carolina takes Erik Karlsson. Probably not *that* Erik Karlsson.

#110 - Detroit takes Andreas Athanasiou. Good sleep pick, could become a solid NHL depth guy. Expected him to go higher.

#156, 157 - Toronto takes Connor Brown, Ryan Rupert. Neither are going to be superstars, but they could well become the type of depth forwards the team just doesn't have right now. Good picks.

#209 - Toronto takes Viktor Loov. Cool name.

Edited by mr. potato head

Guest mr. potato head

Luke Schenn to Philly for James Van Riemsdyk. Good deal for both teams.

Eklund's take on the issue as of two hours ago: "Nothing to the JVR to Leafs for Schenn Rumors…at this point." :lol:

Edited by mr. potato head

Luke Schenn to Philly for James Van Riemsdyk. Good deal for both teams.

Eklund's take on the issue as of two hours ago: "Nothing to the JVR to Leafs for Schenn Rumors…at this point." :lol:

Schenn might be a bit better with Philly. JVR could be really good - the only thing is that the move doesnt address the need for a top center or a goaltender. I hope one more move is coming...

My girlfriend just broke the news to me unintentionally. She's sitting there looking at her phone and reads me a friends facebook status: "First the Stall brothers, and now the Schenn brothers are reunited." My first hope was that we somehow brought Brayden to Toronto. :(

I'll miss ya Schenn but I look forward to seeing what JvR can do with us.

Edited by Mountainous Cleavage

As a huge Flyers fan, I like this move. It seems like we have a bajillion quality forwards, who are young and have similar upside to JVR (Ironically, Brayden being one of them). We didn't miss much with JVR out last year, and we shouldn't miss him too much this year with the development of B. Schenn, Simmonds, Coutourier, Read, Wellwood.

On the other hand, injuries to Pronger (and, later, Mezsaros) crippled the Flyers defensively, especially in the playoffs. The trade deadline deal to get Kubina was just grasping for straws. There's some talent there - not the biggest Matt Carle fan, but he and Coburn are both passable - both on the team and in the system, but hopefully Luke Schenn can stabilize the blue line a little bit.

Kimmo Timonen is old. And, on looking over the roster again for the purposes of this post, I never realized Lilja was 36.

Fucking hell, I loved Schenn :crying:

I don't know if JVR can win my love like Schenn could. Damn, man. Doesn't he he have a serious fucking injury too?

25 points in 43 games, broken foot...dammit. Hopefully he can rebound.

Bye Schenn, I will miss you.

I think the Leafs will be fine if JVR can rebound. He had a broken foot last year, and a hip injury that bothered him when he was healthy, but if he can rebound, he has breakout-potential. Remember, one of the reasons the Flyers felt so comfortable trading Richards and Carter was that they thought they could count on JVR...he was looked at in the same light as Giroux at this time last year.

For the Flyers, circumstances changed, young guys stepped up, and JVR became expendable. Without the great efforts last year from Brayden, Voracek, Hartnell, Read, Simmonds or Coutourier, no chance we're even talking about this trade. Half those guys were expected to be in the minors most of the year.