Hamster's top 100 songs

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

"Friend of the Night" by Mogwai

Difficulty: MEDIUM

I'm a fan of Mogwai and hope to see them live over here in November. They've made loads of great music but this wasn't a HARD choice cos this song is just so so so so epic. Just listen, listen. The lilting pianos are just perfect.

"Aims" by Special Others

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbAYjMWbmBg

Difficulty: LOW

In amongst the sea of Japanese pop music there is actually very little originality (we think there's more than there is outside of Japan because we just get all the more original or weird stuff. Special Others are...well, special.

What's not to like?

"Run" by Air

Difficulty: HARD

This is hard. I really like Air and their Talkie Walkie album offers up this, Venus and Alpha Beta Gaga as possibilities. Then add Sexy Boy for some oldschool love and half of 10,000Hz Legend (like How Does It Make You Feel)

"Days" by The Kinks

Difficulty: VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY HARD

So what song do I choose for one of my favourite bands of all time? I could choose their earlier works like "You Really Got Me" or "All Day and All of the Night". Or I could go with "Waterloo Sunset" or "Sunny Afternoon". I could delve into their Arthur album or I could go leftfield with "Have a Cuppa Tea". Hell, I love most of their "Village Green Preservation Society" album.....But this song is just MAGICAL. Seriously. It makes everything feel right. Listen and listen now.

God save The Kinks

"Rudie Can't Fail" by The Clash

Difficulty: VERY HARD

While I'm slaying some giants, I'll go to work on the Only Band That Matters. A dozen songs could be up there and I'm not even gonna bother listing all the "oh-so-close" tracks that were beaten by this absolute stonewall classic.

"Too Much Too Young" by The Specials

Difficulty: HARD

I'm in the mood to make some tough decisions before bed tonight. The Specials have a relatively small pool to choose from but that pool is deeeeeeep. Gangsters nearly made it, Rudy of course nearly made it but I really love this. Karaoke favourite.

This is awesome. Fuck it. I'm doing this too. This might set off a trend of lame knockoffs but whatever. Except mine is all '90s music because I love '90s music. Thank you, Hamster.

Plus, De La Soul is the shit.

If I did a knock off it wouldn't be lame!

Oh and VERY interesting choice for best Kinks song. Normally when pressed for my favourite Kinks song I go for Death of a Clown or Last of the Steam Powered Trains. I dunno why really, because they aren't exactly the best Kinks songs. I just love them really. And my favourite Kinks song that the Kinks never wrote is Let's Spend The Night Together. Obviously.

I agree with Call Me and possibly Close To Me. Maybe also Rudie Can't Fail, although I also really like White Man and The Card Cheat.

Dead against 3 Is The Magic Number. I like De La Soul but don't really care for that one. Eye Know is my favourite. Also Burning Down The House. It's a good song but would place quite low on my chart of favourite Talking Heads songs. If I was to compile such a thing.

I like this idea.

"Beetlebum" by Blur

Difficulty: VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY, CRAZILY, RIDICULOUSLY HARD

I woke up and decided to get the hardest decision out of the way today. I probably LOVE more Blur tracks than any other band but ultimately this is my favourite. Although tracks including On Your Own, Music is my Radar, Country House and End of the Century push it close.

The opening guitar riff is iconic for me.