2011 NFL Season

gunnar hendershow

LOL at Greg Jennings, Larry Fitzgerald and Steve Smith making the NFC Pro Bowl squad over Victor Cruz when he has more yards than all of them, more receptions than all of them, as many TDs as Fitzy, more TDs than Smith and only 1 fewer than Jennings. Aside from having never been selected before there's no reason for him to be off the list.

I agree Cruz is well deserving of being a starter on the Pro Bowl roster. But then I can't feel too bad when Eli made it over Stafford when Stafford has better stats and is on a team with a better record (Almost entirely because of him). Eli's having a great year no doubt but statistically Stafford is having a better one.

I agree Cruz is well deserving of being a starter on the Pro Bowl roster. But then I can't feel too bad when Eli made it over Stafford when Stafford has better stats and is on a team with a better record (Almost entirely because of him). Eli's having a great year no doubt but statistically Stafford is having a better one.

Yes. Matthew Stafford has led the Lions to the playoffs almost entirely himself.

You do realize that Stafford is throwing the ball to one of the top receivers in the league, right? Eli's throwing to the guy that collects your trash on Mondays.

• Like 1

LOL at Greg Jennings, Larry Fitzgerald and Steve Smith making the NFC Pro Bowl squad over Victor Cruz when he has more yards than all of them, more receptions than all of them, as many TDs as Fitzy, more TDs than Smith and only 1 fewer than Jennings. Aside from having never been selected before there's no reason for him to be off the list.

Victor Cruz has definitely played at a high level this season but he wasn't on the ballot which is why he didn't make the NFC Pro Bowl. As they say, guys tend to make it the year after they deserve it so as long as Cruz doesn't completely fall off a cliff, which I don't think he will, I expect him to probably make it next year.

I don't take the Pro Bowl seriously but I can't seem to understand how Manning managed to make it over Romo or Stafford. Romo's thrown for more touchdowns, a better completion percentage, better TD%, less interceptions, better INT%, nearly as good of a Y/A, and just as many fourth quarter comebacks along with a higher fourth quarter passer rating. That's not even considering that Romo would have two more comebacks had it not been for his kicker. Stafford has a better completion percentage than Manning, more touchdowns, less interceptions, better efficiency across the board sans Y/A, more yards, and a better passer rating. Manning's play has really fell off a cliff these past couple of weeks, like they usually do as the season wears on, compared to how he was performing at the start.

Also, I'm as big of a Newton fan as the next guy and expected him not to turn out to be a massive bust like many expecting. But he shouldn't be the first alternate. I'd probably go Rodgers, Brees, Romo/Stafford, and then Newton/Manning. Newton has scored 34 touchdowns and his efficiency is pretty good for a rookie but he's turned the ball over too much to put him over Romo or Stafford, who did a very good job protecting the ball when he wasn't bothered by his finger injury.

the pro bowl has always been about your name and how popular you are instead of what you did.

Rivers had probably his worst year and was tied for the lead in INTs and got in.

I actually would have put Victor Cruz or Jordy Nelson over Jennings this year.

NFC QB race was a bit tough, Stafford arguably could have beat out Eli.

Edited by mystikz

Yes. Matthew Stafford has led the Lions to the playoffs almost entirely himself. You do realize that Stafford is throwing the ball to one of the top receivers in the league, right? Eli's throwing to the guy that collects your trash on Mondays.

The same guy that naiwf just said should have made the pro bowl?

naiwf says a lot of silly things. :P

I have no issue with Stafford going to the Pro Bowl over Manning. I think the Pro Bowl is a joke and I can't remember the last time I watched it, to be honest. My point was more that the Lions going to the playoffs was not "almost entirely" because of Stafford.

Yes. Matthew Stafford has led the Lions to the playoffs almost entirely himself.

You do realize that Stafford is throwing the ball to one of the top receivers in the league, right? Eli's throwing to the guy that collects your trash on Mondays.

The Lions have had Calvin Johnson for the past 3 years and not even come close to having a winning season, but when Stafford has been healthy all year they suddenly make the playoffs. That's just coincidence right?

By your logic, Peyton Manning should have never made the Pro Bowl when he was throwing to Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne. Should Brady have missed the Pro Bowl when he was throwing to Randy Moss?

Also, if Victor Cruz is the guy who takes my garbage out, why are we talking about putting him in the Pro Bowl? I mean since clearly he's a scrub. Now granted, if you take away the TD passes to Calvin Johnson, Stafford only has 21 (5 less than Manning's total TD passes) but then again, if you take away Cruz's numbers Eli only has 17 TDs. If all it takes is a great receiver, where's Shaun Hill's monster year? What about the Cardinals QBs...they must have put up great numbers throwing to Fitzgerald right?

Aside from Calvin Johnson, the Lions don't have any name receivers. I'm pretty sure Hakeem Nicks is better than Nate Burleson. Also, while it may not have been as good as previous years, you guys at least have the THREAT of a running game, with Jacobs and Bradshaw, as where all the Lions' running backs have been hurt almost all year allowing defenses to just defend the pass.

But really who wants to hear all the bullshit about why their QB didn't put up better numbers? The numbers are the numbers and WHY shouldn't be a factor in the Pro Bowl voting. I hate when people try to explain why their players should be in the Pro Bowl based on things other than numbers. "Yeah but Suh should be in the Pro Bowl because teams double team him and blah blah blah." His statistics suck so he doesn't get to be in the Pro Bowl. I do not care how awesome he is.

The bottom line is Eli got in over Stafford because Eli plays in New York. If Eli played in Detroit or Minnesota, or San Diego, or Tampa Bay he wouldn't be in.

EDIT- Ok, so there were more posts after I started this ridiculous rant and now I look like an overzealous homer, but I stand by it, even if it came across a lot more angry and defensive than I meant it to be.

Edited by jase12881

The bottom line is Eli got in over Stafford because Eli plays in New York. If Eli played in Detroit or Minnesota, or San Diego, or Tampa Bay he wouldn't be in.

If Eli played in Detroit he'd be throwing to Megatron and have even better stats.

The fact is Stafford should be in Eli's spot and Cruz should be in for Steve Smith and Jordy Nelson should be the Packers WR in the mix. The reason all three of those guys missed out is that they don't have "name value" yet. The Pro Bowl selections are almost as bad/stupid as the Gold Gloves in baseball going to a guy who hits well.

Isn't the old saying that most guys make it in the year after they actually deserved it anyway?

Chances are we'll still see Stafford in the Pro Bowl because Brees or Rodgers will probably be playing in the Super Bowl.

And I agree that it's not all been Stafford, certainly not. Calvin has been off the fucking charts and the D has made a lot of plays for us, but I also agree with jase that it's no coincidence the Lions are in the playoffs when they have a QB that isn't complete shit.

Again, I have no issue with the Pro Bowl. It's a popularity contest. Just like the MLB All-Star game. It ultimately means dick. Getting in a tissy about it isn't worth it.

Maybe I should have highlighted the part of your post that I had beef with to avoid this confusion.

And of course, Stafford has helped boatloads. You need a competent quarterback to win in the NFL. Again, it was the "almost entirely" that's the problem. Very few quarterbacks have ever carried a team into the playoffs on his shoulders alone, and I can honestly say Stafford isn't one of them.

Again, I have no issue with the Pro Bowl. It's a popularity contest. Just like the MLB All-Star game. It ultimately means dick. Getting in a tissy about it isn't worth it.

Maybe I should have highlighted the part of your post that I had beef with to avoid this confusion.

And of course, Stafford has helped boatloads. You need a competent quarterback to win in the NFL. Again, it was the "almost entirely" that's the problem. Very few quarterbacks have ever carried a team into the playoffs on his shoulders alone, and I can honestly say Stafford isn't one of them.

yeah I kinda jumped down your throat there for nothing, sorry. I guess that's a bad turn of phrase on my part, but if I listed the factors that helped the Lions have a winning season, Stafford would be #1. Calvin Johnson would be #2, but Stafford is the reason the Lions improved from 6 wins last year to 10 so far this year. Maybe he's not the only reason they are a decent team this year, but he's the main one, in my opinion.

Chances are we'll still see Stafford in the Pro Bowl because Brees or Rodgers will probably be playing in the Super Bowl.

Isn't Cam the first alternative? I thought I read that somewhere.

Eli had a Pro Bowl year, I can see the arguments for and against Stafford making it over him but I'm glad he didn't out of pure bias. Cruz not making it is ridiculous though, he should be first choice nevermind missing out to Greg Jennings. The whole "he wasn't on the ballot argument is irrelevant because neither was JPP and he rightfully made it. Equally ridiculous though is Phillip Rivers making it in, which is just an embarrassment for him and the league.

Isn't Cam the first alternative? I thought I read that somewhere.

Eli had a Pro Bowl year, I can see the arguments for and against Stafford making it over him but I'm glad he didn't out of pure bias. Cruz not making it is ridiculous though, he should be first choice nevermind missing out to Greg Jennings. The whole "he wasn't on the ballot argument is irrelevant because neither was JPP and he rightfully made it. Equally ridiculous though is Phillip Rivers making it in, which is just an embarrassment for him and the league.

Yeah, I was sort of confused by JPP getting in since he wasn't on the ballot but I guess he got a ton of votes from coaches and players. The same thing that hurt Cruz affected Aldon Smith as well - he wasn't on the ballot because technically, he wasn't a started for his team. Also, votes were handed in prior to Week 16 where Cruz had his huge performance that helped his numbers. It's not that big of a deal, though. Having watched him play throughout the season, mainly because he's on my fantasy team, I'm sure Cruz should be able to get back to this level of play next year and get voted in, even if he only managed 1100 yards and 5 touchdowns.

As far as Rivers goes, he probably deserved it. Not because he actually had a Pro Bowl quality performance this year but because outside of Roethlisberger and Brady, the rest of the AFC QBs suck compared to the NFC.