NBA Thread 2011-12

sahyder1

Rumblings have Josh Smith reportedly wanting out of Atlanta. It's a bummer, but not surprising. With Orlando becoming the solid #2 in that division, Atlanta is only in the playoffs by the grace of Boston's age and a lack of any real threat beyond the eight teams currently in the East playoff hunt.

While this does open up a possibility of Gasol coming to Atlanta (Smith & Henrich for Gasol works financially), I really can't see Pau being a shot in the arm for Atlanta. It initially hits me as Christian Laettner 2.0, though that's a knee-jerk reaction. Still, if there's one team I'd want to go on the road and face in the playoffs, it would be Orlando as they are now.

Midget, Atlanta will forever regret Marvin Williams over Chris Paul. The other mistakes they've made are nothing compared to that decision. If you have that team (maybe minus Horford because they could have been competing at that point) with Paul on it they're in another level in the East. I'd try and trade Smith to get some short-term help to placate the fanbase plus a pick or two down the line to help the team not tumble when they have to rebuild around Horford.

Orlando's going to spend the next 48 hours calling every GM and agent in the league trying to have someone either force their way to Orlando for pennies on the dollar or find a way to make a team think a package of Jameer Nelson, Ryan Anderson, and Glen Davis is a solid enough haul for a young star. Granted, if you get a third team in the mix trying to clear cap space anything is possible I suppose. If that desperation attempt fails Orlando is either sending Howard away for nothing in free agency or next-to-nothing in an awful trade.

Rondo is off the trade block according to Ainge.

New York still has a long way to go, bad coaching and quite frankly a team that's built around 2 different styles of play. Their best player doesn't mesh with Lin or Amar'e. It's not a great mix, they might be stuck in first round fodder mode for the few competitive years they have with Melo. Sorry Meac.

Midget, Atlanta will forever regret Marvin Williams over Chris Paul. The other mistakes they've made are nothing compared to that decision. If you have that team (maybe minus Horford because they could have been competing at that point) with Paul on it they're in another level in the East. I'd try and trade Smith to get some short-term help to placate the fanbase plus a pick or two down the line to help the team not tumble when they have to rebuild around Horford.

If the Hawks are seriously going to be anything, Joe Johnson has got to go. Nobody's taking that insane contract, so we may well wind up losing Smith and still not doing much. (Believe me, if there was some way I could wave a wand and send Johnson to Milwaukee for Brandon Jennings, I would in a heartbeat.)

When it comes to draft picks, I just treat it as a hypothetical. In reality, stupid contracts like Johnson & Henrich's are offsetting what are great signings in Ivan Johnson, McGrady, Stackhouse, and Radmonovic.

So it looks like the Bucks and Warriors have struck a deal officially kicking off what I thought would fizzle out to be a lackluster trade deadline...

Golden State Recieve: Andrew Bogut and Stephen Jackson

Milwaukee Recieve: Monta Ellis, Ekpe Udoh and Kwame Brown

I like it alot for Milwaukee and don't quite understand why Golden State gave up what they did for Bogut... Maybe there is more to the deal but that is all that is currently out there... I like the idea of a back court pairing of Jennings and Ellis and I think Milwaukee will continue to push their way towards the playoffs this season with the Knicks sinking...

Source: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7683412/milwaukee-bucks-trade-andrew-bogut-stephen-jackson-golden-state-warriors-monta-ellis-sources-says

I think the trade frees up more room for Steph Curry, who will now proceed to hurt his ankle again. It definitely gives the Warriors more all around depth as opposed to just an explosive backcourt. Plus, Stephen Jackson is a pretty good offensive weapon as well as a stout defender.

Golden State had no reason to keep both Ellis and Curry, they need depth elsewhere and Bogut when healthy adds a lot to the team on both ends of the court.

Read the Bulls are chatting with the Lakers about Gasol, I don't think this goes anywhere and the inquiries are window shopping while they wait to see if they can work magic with Orlando. :shifty:

I hate Dwight Howard. Just decide to stay or go and shut the fuck up. Stop playing with my emotions! :crying:

The Nets are trying to trade anyone with a contract past this year that isn't named Derron Williams for cap space, because that worked so well the past two off-seasons.. Are there any free agents coming out this year (aside from Howard) that are worth signing?

Jerry Sloan is rumored to be interested in the job.

It's for the best for D'Antoni though, he was never going to win in that situation. Hopefully he'll go coach college and put together exciting teams year after year. His system may just work at that level.