Euro 2004

pigeon

Campbell's been a rock for England, and you can never underestimate his powers, but it's a tie for me between Zidane and Campbell. They've both been influential for their respective teams.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matzat hates anything other people like. He's always the same, wether it's football or computer games. Anything the majority of EWBers like, Matzat despises.

Shure, i have no point and i am only speaking against the majorety, same went with russias goalie and so on, everyone justz hated me being agaiinst that bad reffering, i only brought it up because all of you hate russia so much.... it´s not that i just hate bad reffering changing game results ore something like that

Maztat comes across as even more retarded every time he posts. He has the worst football opinions (when it comes to England) there is. He can't admit that we deserve to win games, oh well.

Talking of "we" wen you are cretesising a neutral person dos not give you anny credebilety, you speak of yourself as a fan, of cause you are not able to mentain a neutral position. - it´s just a fakt that England had two major wrong decisions for them in both games, in the first one they even played bad enough to not tag advantage of that and yesterday in the second game the bad reffering stoped england from being run over, face it, untill the goal by rooney who MUST have been banned Switzerland dominatd you and did not get a penalty, winning after that is nothing great. - in a fair and square game you will have big problems, and croatia will slaugter you most likly if you play as bad as you did in the first two games. - AND YOU know that to otherwise you guys would not be pissing yourself in joy for not having to beat croatia, OMFG we only need a draw so it´s not bad if our players just stand around defending with luck. England, the way the played the first two games, will not survive in this tournament anny long time. You can´t see that because your a fan, fans don´t think, thats why they are fans.

Talking of "we" wen you are cretesising a neutral person dos not give you anny credebilety, you speak of yourself as a fan, of cause you are not able to mentain a neutral position.

And you are? Germans can't maintain a 'neutral' stance on England and vice-versa. It just sounds like you're munching on sour grapes every time you make a post. "Oh, England were shit blah bad referee blah." He was a bad referee, and it affected both teams in both positive and negative ways.

in the first one they even played bad enough to not tag advantage of that and yesterday in the second game the bad reffering stoped england from being run over, face it, untill the goal by rooney who MUST have been banned

What for? He went for the ball, not the goalie. If you watch the replay's you can see that, so a yellow was perfectly fair. Another thing, watch the replay closely and Rooney barely touches his hand - he hits his head more than anything. Stiel rolled around on the floor like a pansy but then once the foul had been given bang, he's back on his feet.

Switzerland dominatd you and did not get a penalty, winning after that is nothing great.

But we got the job done 3 - 0 when we're playing badly.

in a fair and square game you will have big problems, and croatia will slaugter you most likly if you play as bad as you did in the first two games.

Shut the fuck up, they've all been fair and square. Like I said, the referee was affecting both teams, and gave as many decisions in our favor as he did theirs. Second, we played well against France and it was 3 silly minutes at the end that cost us. You may think that defending is playing badly, but in that case you're an even bigger moron than I thought. And finally, we always go up a gear when we play in big games. Remember Germany 5 - 1? Of course, it's why you feel the need to criticize everything we do.

AND YOU know that to otherwise you guys would not be pissing yourself in joy for not having to beat croatia, OMFG we only need a draw so it´s not bad if our players just stand around defending with luck.

BWAAHAHAHAHAHA! Luck? Please. We owned the French and stopped everything they threw at us, but like I said, 3 minutes of stupidity lost the game. Their goals came directly from set pieces, and when you consider the fact that they have the best set-piece taker in the World on their team, it's hardly surprising he scored.

You can´t see that because your a fan, fans don´t think, thats why they are fans.

Stop jumping to fucking conclusions. We know we won't last long if we play like we did against Switzerland. If we play like we did against France we'll do well, because we defended extremely well. Most English people you talk to will tell you they know England won't progress very far if we play like we did against the Swiss, but then that would mean forming an opinion based on fact rather than personal prejudices.

Talking of "we" wen you are cretesising a neutral person dos not give you anny credebilety, you speak of yourself as a fan, of cause you are not able to mentain a neutral position. - it´s just a fakt that England had two major wrong decisions for them in both games, in the first one they even played bad enough to not tag advantage of that and yesterday in the second game the bad reffering stoped england from being run over, face it, untill the goal by rooney who MUST have been banned Switzerland dominatd you and did not get a penalty, winning after that is nothing great. - in a fair and square game you will have big problems, and croatia will slaugter you most likly if you play as bad as you did in the first two games. - AND YOU know that to otherwise you guys would not be pissing yourself in joy for not having to beat croatia, OMFG we only need a draw so it´s not bad if our players just stand around defending with luck. England, the way the played the first two games, will not survive in this tournament anny long time. You can´t see that because your a fan, fans don´t think, thats why they are fans.

That's why I take no notice of anything you post. As Agent Smith has pointed out, you really don't have a clue what you're talking about.

I'm sure if Germany had played badly and got a win against Holland or play badly and win the next game you'll be in here telling us how it was the greatest performance the World's ever seen.

Guest BigDirty

There is really no point in argueing with some of you guys. How many times has Matzat told you that he doesn't care for the german national team still some of you say that he would praise them if they play badly. :rolleyes:

Many Germans actually like the english team (I liked them when they had Gazza, nowadays I don't care about England, don't hate them, don't like them either) so saying Germans are biased when it comes to England is quite stupid. And if Germans dislike the english team it's 100% not because of the 5-1. Wasn't that a friendly or qualifiying game? Who cares for those games? If they would mean anything then Czech Republic, Sweden & Spain would always win the big tourneys but they don't. So Germans don't like England cause of a qualifiying game when Germany almost always beats England in the big tourneys and send them home? Great Logic! :thumbs-up:

Ok and Campbell best player of the tourney? Come on now. He's playing very good and to me he's one of the best defenders in the world but he's not the best tourney player until now, maybe he will be but right now he certainly isn't.

Guest BigDirty

As far as I'm aware nobody is accusing ALL Germans of hating the English side. Just Matzat for his comments that make absolutely no sense.

And you are? Germans can't maintain a 'neutral' stance on England and vice-versa.

And finally, we always go up a gear when we play in big games.  Remember Germany 5 - 1?  Of course, it's why you feel the need to criticize everything we do.

Well, to me it seems somebody did accuse all Germans of hating the English side. Of course not all of you but as I proved a few of you do.

Edited by BigDirty

Yes Matzat, I'm an England fan. Which is why I have a bet on England not qualifiying.. wait.. no, two bets on them not qualifiying. I'm supporting Denmark through the tournament, but I say "we" because I am English, and I may be bias towards them slightly. But I'm mature enough to put aside any emoional attachment to the team and be honest, and my honest opinion is that you're spouting bullshit about England.

Sorry BigDirty, I'd missed that bit when it was posted. I'd agree that that is wrong. Some German's can't be neutral but some obviously can.

Matzat's are horribly biased against England for whatever reason he has, but I don't believe that to be the opinion of every German.

Edited by supergrass

it´s so funny wen you always get the answers

your just beasted

your german

no we dident

and so on after making valid points just because no one is able to make real points against my neutral opinion :D

I´ll laugh so ghard if england keeps plaing like this and gets kicked out of the tournament as soon as the refferes suport is laking :P and than you´ll all cry (again, like after france "fucking robbed") sinc oh so awsome england just can´t loose if everything is going on fair and square (:lol:)

It´s just like Kobra pointed out earlyer, England fans are fucking arogant, and this point has nothing todo with how good your team actually playes. There is a differenc betwen confidenc and plain pure arogance. So i´ll return to what i was at earlyer, ignoring you ignoring my points untill the next game is on, and laugh a lot :lol:

Rooney to lose second goal?

LISBON, June 18 (Reuters) - One of the two goals credited to 18-year-old England striker Wayne Rooney against Switzerland at Euro 2004 may be taken away and ruled an own goal.

UEFA communications director William Gaillard told a news conference that Euro 2004's technical committee would study video replays of Rooney's second goal to determine whether or not it should count as an own goal by Swiss keeper Joerg Stiel.

Rooney's strike in the 75th minute of Thursday's match in Coimbra struck a post and rebounded into the net off the back of the diving Stiel's head.

The striker, who became the youngest scorer in European Championship finals history with his first goal in the 23rd minute, claimed the second goal after the game.

'I hit it as hard as I could and luckily enough, it went in,' he said. 'I am going to claim it.'

Gaillard said the technical committee would not be studying replays of France's first goal against Croatia on Thursday which was given as an own goal by Croatian defender Igor Tudor.

Many observers felt the goal should have been credited to Zinedine Zidane whose free kick took a slight deflection off Tudor.

Zidane scored twice in France's opening game against England and would be leading the scorers' list on his own with three goals. He currently shares the lead on two with Rooney and Henrik Larsson of Sweden.

Source

PARIS, June 18 (Reuters) - French newspapers were united in concern over the champions' performance in their 2-2 draw with Croatia at Euro 2004.

'Worrying' said Le Parisien on Friday and 'Not really reassuring' said sports daily L'Equipe, summing up the mood in the country.

'To those who had forgotten the first 90 minutes of the England game because of Zinedine Zidane's miracle, the awful difficulties France went through against Croatia are a stern warning,' wrote L'Equipe soccer correspondent Vincent Duluc.

L'Equipe was particularly harsh on the French defenders who conceded two goals in four minutes at the start of the second half against Croatia.

'For a few minutes, it was panic on board,' wrote the sports daily.

L'Equipe gave recalled central defender and captain Marcel Desailly a mark of four out of 10 after one of his miscued clearances allowed striker Dado Prso to put Croatia 2-1 ahead.

'Desailly has no problems during the first half,' it said. 'He was aware and careful but physically he suffered all through the second half. He made an enormous blunder and nearly offered a third goal to Ivica Mornar just before the final whistle.'

Source

Desailly is past it already. France should drop him.

PORTO, June 18 (Reuters) - Italy must forget all about the 'Totti Factor' or they are in danger of coming unstuck against a confident, in-form Sweden in their second Euro 2004 Group C game on Friday.

Francesco Totti, the team's main playmaker, was given a three-game ban for spitting at Christian Poulsen in the opening goalless draw with Denmark, forcing coach Giovanni Trapattoni to drastically alter his plans.

For once Italy came into the tournament with a reasonably settled lineup and a system that allowed Totti, the great provider, a free role.

With him now gone, at least until the semi-finals if Italy get that far, the new look could feature his AS Roma team mate Antonio Cassano alongside Alessandro Del Piero, who he replaced after 64 minutes against Denmark, and Christian Vieri in attack.

But even before the Totti incident, Trapattoni had been considering changes after his team failed to impress in the opening game.

AC Milan duo Andrea Pirlo and the combative Gennaro Gattuso come in for Simone Perrotta and Mauro Camoranesi with only Cristiano Zanetti keeping his place in midfield.

Trapattoni knows that in Sweden he is facing a team high on confidence after their 5-0 thrashing of Bulgaria.

Two-goal striker Henrik Larsson is in top form alongside the ever-dangerous Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

ONE CHANGE

Sweden will be forced into at least one change with right back Teddy Lucic set to miss the game through injury.

Joint coaches Tommy Soderberg and Lars Lagerback will probably ask midfielder Mikael Nilsson to slot in at right back with Christian Wilhelmsson, who came on for Lucic against Bulgaria, moving into the midfield.

Lagerback said Sweden were prepared for whatever changes Italy made as a result of Totti's suspension.

'The Italy team may change, but Italy have a very good squad so another good player will come in. We'll concentrate on our game,' he said.

'Of course, we have thought about (who might take Totti's place). If it's Cassano, we have prepared for that.'

The Swedes are unbeaten in their last five matches, winning the last three, all those victories featuring a goal for striker Marcus Allback.

Since Euro 2000 they have lost only twice in 23 competitive matches - after extra time to Senegal at the 2002 World Cup and to Latvia in Euro 2004 qualifying.

Italy (possible): 1-Gianluigi Buffon; 2-Christian Panucci, 13-Alessandro Nesta, 5-Fabio Cannavaro, 19-Gianluca Zambrotta; 8-Gennaro Gattuso, 21-Andrea Pirlo, 4-Cristiano Zanetti (or 20-Simone Perrotta); 18-Antonio Cassano, 7-Alessandro Del Piero, 9-Christian Vieri

Sweden (probable): 1-Andreas Isaksson; 7-Mikael Nilsson, 3-Olof Mellberg, 15-Andreas Jakobsson, 5-Erik Edman; 21-Christian Wilhelmsson, 6-Tobias Linderoth, 8-Anders Svensson, 9-Fredrik Ljungberg; 10-Zlatan Ibrahimovic,11-Henrik Larsson

Referee - Urs Meier (Switzerland)

Linesmen - Francesco Buragina (Switzerland), Rudolf Kappeli (Switzerland)

This could be Cassano's chance to shine.

This could be Cassano's chance to shine.

Better yet, it could be del Piero's time to finally move past the Euro 2000 debacle. We've seen how well he used to play internationally, maybe with some confidence invested in him he can return to form.

Did anyone else notice there was no real defensive advantage to England playing Terry over King?

Could of used Terry to get him match fit in a game taht shouldn't be too demanding? That's my take on it.

A note to Canadian viewers (or non Canadians who feel sympathetic ;) ), you can complain to TSN over their mixed priority showing of Euro matches on Delay here. SoccerStreams.com has some streams available if you're looking to catch Denmark vs. Bulgaria live.

it´s so funny wen you always get the answers

your just beasted

your german

no we dident

and so on after making valid points just because no one is able to make real points against my neutral opinion :D

I´ll laugh so ghard if england keeps plaing like this and gets kicked out of the tournament as soon as the refferes suport is laking :P and than you´ll all cry (again, like after france "fucking robbed") sinc oh so awsome england just can´t loose if everything is going on fair and square (:lol:

It´s just like Kobra pointed out earlyer, England fans are fucking arogant, and this point has nothing todo with how good your team actually playes. There is a differenc betwen confidenc and plain pure arogance. So i´ll return to what i was at earlyer, ignoring you ignoring my points untill the next game is on, and laugh a lot  :lol:

Problem is Matzat, you're not making points that have any truth to them. You don't like England, and you're letting everyone know by making naive statements, like the "OMG referee was baad," and you're ignoring everyone elses. You're nothing but a steaming hypocrite.

Well, to me it seems somebody did accuse all Germans of hating the English side. Of course not all of you but as I proved a few of you do.

There's a huge difference between hating someone and being inable to 'maintain a neutral stance' on them. I don't hate France, but I think they've been extremely lucky in both of their games.

Edited by Agent_Sm1th

Yep, all English are arrogant and all Germans are bitter English haters  :rolleyes:

use your brain, he was talking of Fans of the nglish team wen it´s about the english team, not English in genneral, ideots like you are just saing all germans suport their crappy team and hate everything about england, right, thats why i am on this board for years and years now, just to show all of you my hatret against england, and thats why i am so good frinds with a bunch of people from here . . . fanboy.

Now it´s time for a group that issent tarred apard by bad reffering, only by spitting cammels, yay, at least that means some clean soccer, i love group C.

The more you call people fanboys, the more I'd like to slap you. And to match it, the more you post your bias opinion the more I'd also like to slap you. Either way, I have an urge to slap you.

Edited by Summers

use your brain, he was talking of Fans of the nglish team wen it´s about the english team, not English in genneral, ideots like you are just saing all germans suport their crappy team and hate everything about england, right, thats why i am on this board for years and years now, just to show all of you my hatret against england, and thats why i am so good frinds with a bunch of people from here . . . fanboy.

Now it´s time for a group that issent tarred apard by bad reffering, only by spitting cammels, yay, at least that means some clean soccer, i love group C.

What the hell does fanboy have to do with anything? And on a side note, the group doesn't decide what referee it gets - that's up to UEFA. It could just have easily got the referee for the England vs. Switzerland game yesterday.