That band's song you never really cared for..Now you love it!

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

I've been re-listening to Blur's self-titled album again recently (you know, the one with Song 2 and Beetlebum) and am realising more and more how much of a grower it is. There are a few songs on it that I never really gave much time for back in the day that I've now realised are great.

For a start, as far as energetic songs go, Chinese Bombs is easily up there with Song 2.

I'm Just a Killer for Your Love has a great growly bass, brilliant:

Also,

is brilliant and
has that timeless sound about it.

So add them to Beetlebum, On Your Own, Song 2 and Essex Dogs (as well as MOR which most Blue fans seem to love) and the album is much better retrospectively than I used to think.

Any of you lot discovering new favourite songs from old favourite musicians?

I could totally go and follow your Blur post with a Blur post of my own. In fact, for lack of wanting to think too thoroughly at 2:30am I will.

For whatever reason, the leading one likely being that I was 5 when the song was released, I never listened to Blur based on what their popular singles were and generally went through each album a few times and picked out the songs I liked the most. Those songs then made their way onto a main playlist, and I would go back from time-to-time and listen to the albums again. On one trip through Modern Life is Rubbish I came across "Chemical World" which for whatever reason I never paid too much attention to for years (We'll say 5 years, but that's conservative). Definitely it's now one of my favorite Blur songs.

I was coming in to say that I absolutely loved blur's entire catalogue EXCEPT for their self titled. Now it's probably my top favorite album.

I think we can summarize from all of this = blur are really amazing.

I love and hate the self-titled album for the same reason, it sounds like a lot of indie music that was coming out in the US during the 90s. So sometimes I listen to it an just groan out of how typical it sounds, but other times I listen and love it because it reminds me of Pavement.

To stop this from being a Blur fest, I've started getting into Foo Fighters' One by One album, particularly Low, Times Like These and Disenchanted Lullaby.

I was going to post something similar a few days ago, then I realised I always liked those songs, I just didn't really listen to them all that often. Though Come Back is definitely the criminally underrated song from that album. Anyway here's a few that I never used to care for that I've listened to quite a bit recently:

Biffy Clyro - Know Your Quarry

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (until recently I used to think this was possibly the most overrated song ever then I suddenly started loving it)

Beatles - loads of the random album tracks that I used to skip i.e. Fool on the Hill, And I Love Her, Twist and Shout, Across the Universe, etc etc

Frank Turner - Worse Things Happen at Sea, Wisdom Teeth

Offspring - Why Don't You Get a Job

Johnny cash - Don't Take Your Guns to Town

Kings of Leon - Use Somebody (the only song by them I can listen to)

Slipknot - Before I Forget

System of a Down - Sad Statue

T-Rex - Well... pretty much T-Rex.

Literally the exact opposite thing happened to me and "Stairway to Heaven". However, "Tea for One" is a Zeppelin song that has really grown on me over the last few years. Not so much the entire Presence album since it's sort of that point in Zeppelin's career where they became in my opinion a bit reliant on jamming out songs to reach the desired length. What made them special as a live band became what they went to in the recording studio. It would be like if the Grateful Dead recorded a 15-minute length "Shakedown Street". But while the songs from Presence and on are hit-or-miss for me, "Tea for One" has grown into one of my favorite Zeppelin songs. It's got everything I dislike from later Led Zeppelin albums with everything I like from earlier Led Zeppelin albums, the raw power of each musician in the band and the shear presence the song commands when you're listening to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWvsdhuWVBU