EWB TV Club Session #1 - Firefly

Berober

I wish I had time to watch this uninterrupted, it took me an hour to watch 20 minutes. Very solid episode two, every character grew a little, especially Mal, and while I watched Ep 2 reluctantly because of this thread and holding out hope that all the good reviews weren't unfounded, I'm very excited for episode 3 now, this episode hooked me in.

I really should frequent this part of the board more. Anyways, I'll be starting the beginning and play catch up for the rest of the day. Been a few years since I watched this show and I am more than willing to fall in love Kaylee all over again.

She's so damn pretty.

Also, I'll be editing in my thoughts as I watch.

Episode 1

I never really minded the opening scene too much. What always gets me is how long it takes for the episode to get you to start caring about what your watching.

What really gets me about the first episode is how well people sorta gelled together so quickly. Wash & Zoey, Mal & Zoey, pretty much anybody and Zoey at the start.

Have I mentioned how much I love Kaylee? "Powering down... Great, now I can't get down."

"And if anybody finds it, shoot them."

"Shoot 'em?"

"You know... politely."

WHY DOES EVERYBODY I LOVE IN THIS SHOW GET SHOT AT SOME POINT!!!!

I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Shepherd until that little conversation Inara. That and how quickly Jayne always seem to come a running when somebody needs a beating or needs to be put in a choke hold.

Jayne during the interrogation scene was great. I know Jayne's characters goes through quite a few changes in the opening 4 or 5 episodes, but at least this part of him never changes.

I forgot how much I loved the music from this show and how odd the space/old west was and how it's even odder that it works. God I miss this show. Onto Episode 2!

Episode 2

"Now we get to do it all the while making the Alliance look stupid. Hell, I'd do this job for free."

"Then can I have your share?"

"No."

"Can I have your share if you die?"

"Yes."

Have I mentioned the chemistry between Mal & Zoey? They have some of the best give and take in this episode and this is by far one of the best episodes of the series.

"So, what are we doing?"

"Oh! Crime."

Kaylee :wub:

"Hey? How'd it go?"

"She hit me."

It's always nice to see a show come together before your eyes and while the pilot had its rough spots (most do anyways), you really get the opportunity to see it all the pieces fit together in this one.

Episode 3

"OH GOD! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! WHO'S FLYING THE SHIP!?!?!?! Oh wait, I am."

This won't be the first or last time we hear about Reapers but it is the first time you get to see what they can do to people. Not to mention the fact that they get to rub in a bit more character background and what each of them are really about when they are being interviewed by the Alliance officer.

Ep 3

I liked this episode a lot. Not as much as the Train Job, but more than the pilot. We learned more about the Reavers, and I really like the growth of some of the characters. Especially Jayne, his fear of the Reavers is a great balance to his tough guy exterior.

I didn't like him in the pilot, but he's been great since them. He was too much of a tough guy type, "I don't care about anything" kind of guy, almost like a humorless Jayne. As they've gone on and given him a chance to show some personality and compassion, he's become a lot more likeable.

I love Mal's character, right from the beginning. I think top three have to be Wash, Mal and Jayne. Hell, one table top RPG game I was in I tried to make a Jayne-ish type character.

I loved the line "Looked bigger when I couldn't see him!"

Plus, Wash's "Oh god, who is flying this ship?!". And Kaylee's adorable: " Besides, if I mess up, not like you'll be able to yell at me."

And River's amazement at the crew playing that game was...something. You really get the sense that she is just a child in a teenagers body, that she likely lost her entire childhood (wait...when did she go to that 'academy'?) due to the testing. It's sad...but her expressions are priceless.

I love Mal's character, right from the beginning. I think top three have to be Wash, Mal and Jayne. Hell, one table top RPG game I was in I tried to make a Jayne-ish type character.

I loved the line "Looked bigger when I couldn't see him!"

Plus, Wash's "Oh god, who is flying this ship?!". And Kaylee's adorable: " Besides, if I mess up, not like you'll be able to yell at me."

And River's amazement at the crew playing that game was...something. You really get the sense that she is just a child in a teenagers body, that she likely lost her entire childhood (wait...when did she go to that 'academy'?) due to the testing. It's sad...but her expressions are priceless.

I believe Simon said she as 14 when she was sent to the academy in the pilot after they open up River's crate.

Personally, I really love Wash, Kaylee, Mal, and Jayne. I could take or leave Simon but he does get more interesting as the show goes on. Mal's really interesting because when he's around Inara or Inara is in the room with him or Inara is just on the ship, he softens and makes jokes and all that other stuff. When she isn't around, Mal goes back to being angry man.

• 2 weeks later...

OH HI THERE ZAC EFRON AS YOUNG SIMON!

The scene with River dancing is adorable...can't help but make me smile.

"Dear diary...today I was pompous and my sister was crazy."

I can't remember, do they ever bring up River reading minds again?