Bonnaroo 2012

tristy

Would definitely go to see Radiohead, RHCP, Bon Iver, Shins, Foster the People, Aziz Ansari, The Roots, Ben Folds Five, Childish Gambino, Young The Giant, Civil Wars, Two Door Cinema Club, and The Kooks, but sadly I doubt I can make it considering I'll probably be working during those days. :/

Christ, this lineup really is Radiohead and nobody else.

I'll wait until after the Artist Additions in a month or two to really judge, but right now, yeah, it's not the best line-up. I was kind of disappointed. I'm stoked to see Radiohead, and some of the smaller bands, but that's it. The undercard is really strong, so naturally a lot of conflicts will arise. So I'll be doing some show jumping, I'm sure. But, uh... yeah, maybe the weakest line-up out of the years I've been (07, 09, 10, 11). I'm thinking a few more well known bands get added (coughatthedriveincough) along with the DJs and cafe acts that will come out soon enough.

But, ultimately... FUCK YEAH LUDACRIS?!!?! I'm so there.

• 1 month later...

Since my last post, I've bought my ticket and they've added people like Santigold, Puscifer, and Danzig Legacy.

It's still not the best line-up ever, but more additions are coming and plus comedy. So, there's that.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

kaboom

Thursday:

EMA

Danny Brown

Phantogram

MiMosa

Friday:

Tune-Yards

Little Dragon

Ludacris

Rodrigo y Gabriela w/ C.U.B.A.

PUJOL

Radiohead

Major Lazer

Flying Lotus

Saturday:

Das Racist

Battles

Puscifer

Danzig Legacy

Red Hot Chili Peppers

SuperJam OR Alice Cooper

The GZA w/ Grupo Fantasma

Sunday:

City & Colour

Kurt Vile

Bon Iver

Thurs

Dirty Guvnahs

Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.

Monstro

Soja

Alabama Shakes

Fri

Soul Rebels

Infamous Stringdusters

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings

Avett Brothers OR Trampled By Turtles

Ludacris (part)

Rodrigo y Gabriela

Foster The People (part)

Radiohead

Valient Thorr OR Black Star

Umphrey's McGee

Sat

Pelican

Das Racist

Trampled By Turtles (Sonic)?

Flogging Molly

North MS Allstars

Puscifier

The Roots

RHCP

Spectrum Road OR Alice Cooper

Superjam

GZA Liquid Swords

Sun

Sarah Jarosz

Gary Clark Jr

War on Drugs

Bon Iver

Civil Wars

• 4 weeks later...

This is what I ended up seeing over the course of the weekend:

Thursday:

Danny Brown > Comedy Central Stand-Up: the Bonnaroo Experience (w/ Natasha Leggero & Andy Daly) > Yelawolf (partial)

Friday:

The Doug Benson Interruption: Crank 2 (w/ Kristin Bell, Dax Sheppard, Marc Maron & Amy Schumer) > Ludacris > St. Vincent (partial) > Radiohead > Blackstar (partial)

Saturday:

Puscifer > Danzig Legacy > Mogwai (partial) > The Roots (partial) > Red Hot Chili Peppers > ?uestlove's Superjam > Unchained "The Mighty Van Halen Tribute Band" (2 minutes)

Sunday:

The Beach Boys > Ben Folds Five (partial) > Kurt Vile > Bon Iver

My absolute FAVORITE set the entire weekend was probably Danzig Legacy, actually. Or maybe the SuperJam. Then again, Radiohead was everything I thought they'd be and more.

St. Vincent was really impressive live, so was Kurt Vile. D'Angelo still has it live, I can assure you.

Maynard James Keenan is best on a small stage, I think. I wasn't super close (I was for Kurt Vile, Danny Brown & Danzig Legacy), but I could tell he was having more fun. At one point, he threw a bunch of airplane peanuts into the crowd, because they were all dressed like pilots.

Andy Daly is a funny motherfucker. I just want to know who the country sounding guy was at that show on Thursday. He was hilarious, his bit about strip clubs in the South was amazingly funny. Maybe it was the air conditioning, though. Or the dude on acid next to me who screamed for joy when the comedian was talking about women in the crowd giving him head after the show.

By far the best Bonnaroo I've been to. The only headliner I was super into was Radiohead. I don't really care about Red Hot Chili Peppers, and neither does Anthony Kiedis, apparently. God, his voice sucked. I still freaked out when they played "Can't Stop", though. Fucking love that song.

Thurs

Dirty Guv'nahs -> Broo'ers Tent -> Alcohol abuse in VIP

Fri

Brunch -> Sharon Jones and the Dapkings (part) -> Avett Brothers (part) -> Trampled by Turtles -> Ludacris (part) -> Rodrigo y Gabriela -> Radiohead -> Valient Thorr -> Black Star (part)

Sat

Pelican (part) -> Dawes (Sonic) -> Das Racist (part) -> TbT (Sonic) -> Flogging Molly (part) -> North Miss. Allstars (Sonic) -> Puscifier (part) -> Mogwai (part) -> The Roots (ending) -> * -> Superjam (start) -> Alice Cooper (second half) -> Superjam (end) -> GZA/Grupo Fantasma

Sun

Gary Clark Jr. -> Here We Go Magic (part) -> ALO (Sonic) -> Beach Boys (part) -> War on Drugs (second half) -> Bon Iver -> Civil Wars (second half) -> Phish

Best Roo yet for me, easily. Weather was great. Met a lot of good people, was around a bunch of good people. Saw some good shows over the weekend. Headliners weren't the draw for me, though Radiohead was alright. I fell asleep in VIP during RCHP, it wasn't sounding too good so I took a nap to rest for LN. Phish I really wasn't paying much attention to, talking to friends and friends of friends.

Saturday LN was just a clusterfuck. Skipped Spectrum Road and Art vs. Science for the Superjam, which in tradition started late. Went to Alice Cooper, which rocked. Then went back to the Superjam, but missed most of the good stuff. GZA was good, though I'm not used to staying up that late anymore.

God damn the Civil Wars can bring it, very entertaining and they both easily connect to the crowd. Gary Clark Jr. is face melting. TbT are amazing also. But I had seen all three before. Puscifier was pretty good, though I can tell they needed way more time to set up the stage act. Beach Boys exceeded low expectations. Wish I saw more of Ludacris over RyG. Not knocking RyG's talent, but they sounded the same as every CD release in recent.

I wanted to see Alabama Shakes, but got tired and apparently was mobbed. Dirty Guv's were decent. I was more preoccupied on Thursday and early Friday with Inforoo stuff. Bummed to have missed much of Sharon Jones, but my afternoon track record is pretty lousy these last three years.

Pelican - hell yes. Valient Thorr? Was an entertaining LN cafe stage set.