Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Go away French National team fans. Oh, I meant Arsenal :P

I guarantee Spurs will be in Europe next year, as long as we hvae our key players stay fit. Defoe will be one of the top scorers in the Premiership. A lot of people say league position doesn't matter at this point in the season, but it's a great start for us to be third. Only behind Arsenal and Chelsea, and even if Man Utd. were to win their game in hand, we'd still be ahead of them B)

King and Naybet make a solid pairing in defense and Edman is a great addition to the squad. Only iffy position I'd say is right back, but Phil Ifill seems to be filling in there quite nicely. Midfield is the strongest it's been in years, and hopefully Jamie Redknapp can stay fit. We have one of the best striking partnerships in the league with Defoe and Keane, too.

Spurs seal Davenport deal

Tottenham have agreed a £3m deal with Coventry for the Sky Blues' England Under-21 centre-half Calum Davenport.

Spurs will pay £1.1m up front for the 21-year-old, with the remainder of the money dependent on appearances.

Davenport has become the 11th summer signing by Tottenham's sporting director Frank Arnesen.

"He's a great talent with special qualities, a promising central defender who possesses a good mentality," Arnesen told Spurs' official website.

Davenport, who made 84 appearances for Coventry and won the player of the year award in the 2003-04 season, will formally sign on Tuesday after passing a medical on Sunday.

He played in Coventry's match against West Ham on Monday, leaving immediately afterwards to join up with the England Under-21 squad.

Coventry boss Peter Reid tipped Davenport to make an impact in the Premiership.

"I'm obviously very disappointed to let Calum go but I don't think it is right to deny him this opportunity to play in the Premiership," he told Coventry's official website.

"Calum is an immensely talented defender who ha

s all the attributes to go as far as he wants in the game."

Coventry chairman Mike McGinnity confirmed that the money for Davenport would be used to help Reid bring players to Highfield Road.

"Calum is out of contract at the end of this season and having turned down a new deal, we could not run the risk of losing him for nominal compensation," he added.

In a way I think these younger signings are better than all these big names being thrown around, who are all getting old and who'll be mercenaries just looking for a paycheck and somewhere to play for a year or two.

Though Davids or Nakata would be great for centre midfield.

Anyway I think the Spurs squad is getting deeper and deeper all the time, really good at the moment and at this rate a top six finish really is possible.

We'll have to wait and see though.

And who's this nobody that turned down going to Arsenal anyways?! I kinda had to chuckle at that this morning.

Though Davids or Nakata would be great for centre midfield.

Yes! I would love to see Nakata in the premiership, even if it is for Spurs. I am a fan of his. Altho it would be better if he went to Orient >_>

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm, over a week and no sign of action...

Hooray for the 1-0 at Everton. Tottenham haven't had this ability to grind out victories in years and Paramot looks superb. Hopefully a nice cup run and top 8 finish is on the cards. However we have 3 excellent strikers, yet can't score for love nor money - that could prove problematic later on.

I'd say Ledley King has won us more points than anyone else this season so far.

Defoe and Keane should definitely be able to score more goals but I'm just thrilled at being boring at the moment and having the second best defensive record (behind Chelsea)! We've never had a defence so solid! Fantastic! Robinson and King have therefore joined my Telegraph Fantasy Footy team now!

Defoe's challenge was so classy, perfectly timed...Shame it was two footed!

I reckon top 6 is do-able though fifth would be great.

Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd are the only teams better than us right now I think.

Everton will start to slip up a bit.

I'd say Ledley King has won us more points than anyone else this season so far.

Defoe and Keane should definitely be able to score more goals but I'm just thrilled at being boring at the moment and having the second best defensive record (behind Chelsea)! We've never had a defence so solid! Fantastic! Robinson and King have therefore joined my Telegraph Fantasy Footy team now!

Defoe's challenge was so classy, perfectly timed...Shame it was two footed!

I reckon top 6 is do-able though fifth would be great.

Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd are the only teams better than us right now I think.

Everton will start to slip up a bit.

I'd still say Liverpool and Newcastle are better.

Villa too. :shifty:

• 2 weeks later...

Bill Nicholson has died. A very sad day for us Spurs fans. He led us to the double and won the Cup Winner Cup the year after. A true Tottenham legend and will be remembered by Spurs fans forever.

Tottenham legend Nicholson dies

Legendary Tottenham Hotspur manager Bill Nicholson, who guided Spurs to the first league and Cup Double of the 20th century, has died at the age of 85.

Nicholson led his team to the First Division title and FA Cup in 1960-61, having taken over as manager in 1958.

The Yorkshireman had repesented Spurs during his playing career, and won a solitary England cap in 1951.

After resigning as Spurs boss in 1974, he continued to live nearby and became the club's honorary president.

Nicholson died after a long illness in a Hertfordshire hospital.

Tottenham even named an approach road to their ground Bill Nicholson Way, in recognition of a man whose managerial achievements put him alongside the greats such as Sir Matt Busby, Bill Shankly, Brian Clough, Jock Stein and Sir Alex Ferguson.

The season after the Double, Spurs won the 1962 FA Cup and in 1963 added the European Cup Winners Cup to become the first British club to win a European trophy, beating Atletico Madrid 5-1 in Rotterdam.

He won the FA Cup again with Tottenham in 1967, and then claimed the League Cup in 1971 and 1973 and the Uefa Cup in 1972.

Edited by lazy_arse