Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Tottenham agree fee to buy Vlaar

Tottenham have agreed a fee of about £1.7m with AZ Alkmaar for Dutch international centre-half Ron Vlaar.

Vlaar has played only 11 first team games for the Dutch league leaders but has already won two international caps.

A statement confirmed: "AZ have reached agreement with Tottenham. Ron has spoken to the English club. In the coming days he will make a decision."

Vlaar, 20, refused to sign a new contract at AZ and had seemed set to join Ajax but talks broke down.

The defender, dubbed the new Jaap Stam, recently criticised coach Louis van Gaal and made it clear he wanted to join the Amsterdam giants.

But negotiations came to an abrupt halt when his agent Arnold Oosterveer said AZ were uncooperative and were blackmailing the young Holland international.

Vlaar, whose contract runs out in 2007, was fined but is still part of the first team squad.

The AZ statement continued: "As well as Tottenham, other clubs are also interested but AZ currently only have an agreement with Spurs.

"Ajax have it be known they are no longer interested in Ron Vlaar."

Source

I've never heard of him before, but he sounds quite good. Thoughts?

Id keep Gardner to be honest he has the occasional poor spell in games but he can be solid . I remember a game last year at home to Newcastle he totally marked Shearer out of the game , which isnt easy to do .

Then again he did lose a few headers against the midget Leon Knight , evens out i suppose

Edited by The Slickman

After a lot of good performances this year im dissapointed with the WBA result and as CSAMH said the highlights were horrible to see , it was like we had gone back in time for that game because that was the "same old tottenham" that we used to be emphasised by Carricks beautiful through ball to the other side and Tony Gardners wonderful defending

Hopefully rumours linking Robbie Keane to Celtic will end up being completely empty.

Right now Keane/Mido is so so so so much better than Defoe/Rasiak.

So we go into 2006 four points ahead of Arsenal....When was the last time that happened?!

On sky sports yesterday they said that Jol had said no scottish team could afford Robbie Keane. I can't see him going anywhere for the time being, he's starting and was even made captain, it better be the press just trying to stir shit and there's no truth in him leaving.

• Admin

Keano won't leave. We need to keep Mido on a permanent (his only negative atm is that he gives up the ball too easily), and also keep Keano and Defoe. Rasiak can fuck off on loan somewhere.

And Gardner, as I have always maintained, is bollocks. We'd be lucky to get £2 millon from Charlton for him, and then Huddlestone can get the push he deserves.

Good game, 3 point.

I hope Robbie dont leave , I think there is two different types of fan at Spurs the ones that love Keano and the ones that will give him abuse when he loses the ball . In my eyes Keano can do no wrong and i find his flicks and so on absoutley quality .

Keano could go to Celtic/Rangers and be the biggest thing up there like Hartson or Sutton , but at the end of the day what sort of an achievement is that ?

Edited by The Slickman