2012 NCAA College Football Thread

What a wild day. The SEC streak might be over, but 2 of the 3 undefeated teams losing basically means Georgia/Alabama turns right into a play-in game for a spot in the National Title game. I still think ND will lose at USC and I don't know if I can trust K-State in the Big 12 title game. Oregon has 2 tough games to run the table. In summary, Bama's still got a great shot.

What a wild day. The SEC streak might be over, but 2 of the 3 undefeated teams losing basically means Georgia/Alabama turns right into a play-in game for a spot in the National Title game. I still think ND will lose at USC and I don't know if I can trust K-State in the Big 12 title game. Oregon has 2 tough games to run the table. In summary, Bama's still got a great shot.

Good thing there isn't one.

• Like 1

Good thing there isn't one.

Yeah I realized that after I posted and got off the internet haha. Well, that said, Baylor should be a walkover for them, but Texas is always hard.

Strictly metaphorical question, but is it fuckall annoying to deal with people on Facebook suddenly putting up the Stanford and Baylor logos for "GO BEAT THEM SO WE LUCK INTO THE DANCE" fever? Or am I just not doing fandom right? I like the Tide, but I'm not going to cheer for fucking Ivy League West and "not RG3 era" Baylor because I'm OMG WE NEEDS THE TITLE EVERY YEARZ.

I don't get the logic of second chances in college football. I'm for a playoff, but if you blow your chance you don't deserve a second one. Worry about winning the conference and see how everything else shakes out, but take care of your own business first. Bama didn't take care of business. If the playoff were around they would be fine if they win out and win the conference. It's not, and they didn't take care of business, so they deserve whatever they wind up with.

Derek Dooley is gone from Tennessee once the season is over. In fact, there are rumors swirling that he's more or less coaching the last two games after having already been notified. Someone started an outrageous rumor that Jon Gruden is going to be the next head coach, and one of the newpaper's sports writers has speculated on the possibility of either Tommy Tuberville or Bobby Petrino being the next head coach. Tuberville is the head coach at Texas Tech right now, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about Petrino coming here considering how he left Arkansas.

Frankly I think they need to do some research and hire whichever head coach has the best winning record vs. Nick Saban. :pervert:

Yeah Dooley getting fired has been no doubt for awhile. They should go hard at Charlie Strong, he should be their top target. He's the hottest coaching prospect in the country now that Sumlin is likely locked into A&M for a very long time. Petrino will be coaching again next year, character flaws be damned, because he's a winner. Tennessee, despite recent history, is always going to be one of the top jobs in the country and a lot of people will want to come there.

Anyone who wants Gruden, or any pro coach, is a fool. They rarely work out because even if you can coach (and the pro guys can) there's nothing to show that you can run a college program and everything that goes with it.

Anyone who wants Gruden, or any pro coach, is a fool. They rarely work out because even if you can coach (and the pro guys can) there's nothing to show that you can run a college program and everything that goes with it.

I think this is misleading because the majority of the names that went from the pros to college were coordinators and their lack of success isn't necessarily an indication that pro coaches don't work, just that those coaches aren't fit to be head coaches. The only two I can think of (if you have more examples, by all means) that are comparable to Gruden (pro coaches with head coaching experience) are Pete Carroll and Dave Wannstedt, one of which is one of the best college coaches in the last decade and the other sucked at both levels anyways. That's not to say you aren't right but I have a hard time believing that a coach who could successfully (or at the very least, somewhat successfully) manage the egos of grown men who make millions of dollars, wouldn't be able to handle coaching 18-22 year old kids.

EDIT: Well DMN's already added the list and it's early but, yes Mora does seem to be turning that program around. And there's Lane Kiffin I guess but he's had a reasonable amount of success so far, he's just a dick.

So Carroll is the exception to the rule. Mora's one year in, so it's too early to tell but early returns are good. So much of being a good college coach is having pipelines and connections all over. Pro coaches, and people who spend too long out of college, generally don't have this. If you hire great assistants, you can get around not having a Stoops-sized network, but there's a lot of reasons pro-to-college coaches don't work out at a disproportionate rate.

So Carroll is the exception to the rule. Mora's one year in, so it's too early to tell but early returns are good. So much of being a good college coach is having pipelines and connections all over. Pro coaches, and people who spend too long out of college, generally don't have this. If you hire great assistants, you can get around not having a Stoops-sized network, but there's a lot of reasons pro-to-college coaches don't work out at a disproportionate rate.

What rule though? My point was that it doesn't happen nearly enough to have any rule of thumb. Unless you want to talk about coordinators and there's enough failed coordinators turned pro head coaches that that rule of thumb would be "don't hire people without head coaching experience", not "pro coaches don't work in college".

If two of the undefeateds win out, they'll be in. Honestly, Alabama and Georgia are the two best one loss teams, so the only thing i'd argue Is that Georgia should be above Alabama.

Yes, they will ... and I LOVE that ND wanted special considerations/exemptions for the BCS, and they're getting them: though not how they'd like. :pervert:

DMN giving UGA credit ? :o heh

I don't know why anyone would say that Petrino's issues would be an issue for Tennessee. I mean, they really aren't that far removed from having 'character' issues themselves. Anyone that thinks they weren't in that group of 1990's early 2000's teams that caused problems simply doesn't know the story. Tennessee fucked up by letting Cutcliffe go and holding on to the relic Fulmer too long. Duke says thanks.

One name I've not seen ? BUTCH DAVIS. I'd be after him.

If two of the undefeateds win out, they'll be in. Honestly, Alabama and Georgia are the two best one loss teams, so the only thing i'd argue Is that Georgia should be above Alabama.

Yes, they will ... and I LOVE that ND wanted special considerations/exemptions for the BCS, and they're getting them: though not how they'd like. :pervert:

DMN giving UGA credit ? :o heh

I don't know why anyone would say that Petrino's issues would be an issue for Tennessee. I mean, they really aren't that far removed from having 'character' issues themselves. Anyone that thinks they weren't in that group of 1990's early 2000's teams that caused problems simply doesn't know the story. Tennessee fucked up by letting Cutcliffe go and holding on to the relic Fulmer too long. Duke says thanks.

One name I've not seen ? BUTCH DAVIS. I'd be after him.

Yeah Butch would be a great hire for anybody since he proved at UNC that he can pretty much recruit anywhere.