The OOTP Series

9 to 5

Since I have been playing this alot recnetly (and lost my damn save file!:@) I thought I would make a thread about it so we can talk about the game and share stories etc.

I will start with a couple of question. Given how insanely deep the edit mode is in the creation of fantasy leagues etc is, will it totally overwhelm someone with a decentish grasp on baseball? Also, how easy/hard would it be for a noob like me to make minor edits to the MLB without throwing the game into wackyland, like removing a team and creating a new one in its place? :shifty:

Guest mr. potato head

Minor edits you can do easily enough without messing things up, much easier than FM in that regard. More major edits with fantasy leagues etc., depends how eager you are for them I guess. They're not *difficult* to create per se, but the idea of setting up an entire fantasy universe is so overwhelming to me that I've never really tried to do it - but I'm also someone who can't stand the C-Verse and that sort of thing, you might be more inclined to the fantasy side.

I do love the OOTP games though and would recommend them to absolutely anybody looking for a baseball sim. I really need to get a new one in the next year or two though, I'm still pushing on with OOTP9.

Baseball Mogul is great for quick simming, however the game has barely changed over the last several years. I'm still on Baseball Mogul 2009 and was never impressed enough with the demo to get another version. I'm currently in 2035, my 28th season at the helm of the Mets. It's very weird to realize that a large chunk of the players in the current game universe weren't even born when my game started at the beginning of the 2008 season.

There are still 2 active players kicking around in their mid to late 40s who were there when the game started - Engel Beltre who is 45, and Desmond Jennings who is 48. Both guys are first ballot HOFers. I've also expanded the league a ton over the years. About 10 years ago I added the Las Vegas Blackjacks and Portland Beavers to the AL West. And then 5 or so years later I added teams in Connecticut (based out of Hartford), Norfolk, Birmingham, and Vancouver - 6 teams per division. Unfortunately though all 6 of the teams I created are unspeakably bad. I get that expansion teams are supposed to be bad, but they are worse than even the 1962 Mets. Feel like a lot of weight is put onto stadium variables.

Guest mr. potato head

How does this series compare with Baseball Mogul?

Baseball Mogul is to EWR (like, one of the early EWRs) as OOTP is to TEW2010 (but easier to pick up and play).

I have a free version of an earlier OOTP and I once purchased Baseball Mogul 2008.

I get lost in OOTP(but did like some of the options) and quite enjoyed BM2008.

Would actually like something halfway inbetween, more indepth than Mogul but not as indepth as OOTP.

The only OOTP I've tried was OOTP 2011, which starts you in the 2010 season. It's super realistic but almost to a fault...namely the fact that it's impossible to keep my Mets healthy. I had so many ridiculous injuries pop up out of nowhere and it was in general impossible for me to field a winning team. Wound up getting frustrated and gave up.

• Like 2

I was looking at getting the Iphone version, but I'm not sure I have a decent enough handle on the strategy to really do anything.

I gave the iOS version a shot and I would warn you to stick with a PC version. The menu system for something like Football Manager or OOTP is severely restricting on the iPhone. Until they can make a cleaner, quicker interface, stay with a destkop/laptop. Though an iPad version would warrant a second look.

Guest mr. potato head

I'm really trying not to be pessimistic about that game, but you'll notice he's boasting about the ability to save and load games (code which should be available wholesale from OOTP) and which stats to use, but terms like "game engine" and "AI" don't appear once. If this were a wrestling game and didn't have the OOTP brand behind it, we'd be mocking the guy relentlessly for doing all the easy stuff first.

• 10 months later...

I'll bring this back up rather than starting a new thread.

I'm playing OOTP 13 and the rosters are pretty outdated - for instance, Geovany Soto is still on the Cubs instead of the Rangers, Ryan Dempster's still a Cub, etc. Does anyone know where to get up-to-date rosters for OOTP '13? I've tried looking on their forums, but I haven't come up with much. The most simple solution would be to wait for OOTP '14 to come out in a week or so, but I'm broke. <_<

I'll bring this back up rather than starting a new thread.

I'm playing OOTP 13 and the rosters are pretty outdated - for instance, Geovany Soto is still on the Cubs instead of the Rangers, Ryan Dempster's still a Cub, etc. Does anyone know where to get up-to-date rosters for OOTP '13? I've tried looking on their forums, but I haven't come up with much. The most simple solution would be to wait for OOTP '14 to come out in a week or so, but I'm broke. <_<

Main Menu of the game, Add-On Central or something like that. Haven't reinstalled since I changed from XP to 8 so I can't bee too sure of the option title. but its on the main menu of the game.