The Continuing Chronicles Of Jay Feaster's Incompetence

Ruki

Nashville has seven days to either trade his rights, match, or take the picks. I wonder what they can get together in that time. You would think they'd be wanting a defenseman coming back the other way, but almost all of the Flyers' are locked in with some kind of no trade.

The salary load for Weber is utterly ridiculous and probably wouldn't fly after CBA re-negotiating, so obviously Philly wanted to get the contract in now. $14 million per for the first four years, 12 million in years five and six, 6 million for the following four, 3 million in year eleven, and then the obligatory million dollars on the back-end for three years. $68 million in bonuses in the first six.

I really hope that the new CBA puts a cap on the length of contracts, because this is getting crazy. This summer alone there have been a handful of 10+ years (Parise, Sutter, Weber, Crosby, Staal).

Guest mr. potato head

And what's crazy about that? Wasn't that long ago people were complaining players never spend their whole careers with one team anymore.

And what's crazy about that? Wasn't that long ago people were complaining players never spend their whole careers with one team anymore.

People will never be happy! :shifty:

Shea Weber is going HAM.

I thought he was Jewish?

I say very little chance the Preds match this offer. I read a blog post earlier that mentioned that the first 2 years of the contract ($26 mil) is literally 16% of Nashville's entire net worth as a franchise.

16%.

Seriously?! Fucking OUCH.

In a single summer Nashville went from cup contender to rebuilding team with an awesome goalie.

Guest mr. potato head

I say very little chance the Preds match this offer. I read a blog post earlier that mentioned that the first 2 years of the contract ($26 mil) is literally 16% of Nashville's entire net worth as a franchise.

16%.

Seriously?! Fucking OUCH.

In a single summer Nashville went from cup contender to rebuilding team with an awesome goalie.

You mean okay goalie who is overrated because he plays behind an excellent defence. (Y)

You mean okay goalie who is overrated because he plays behind an excellent defence. (Y)

Time will prove everything.

Lost in all this: is Chris Pronger officially finished? You'd think they'd have to be putting him on LTIR to make the numbers work and to even be hunting for a Weber at this point suggests the forecast wasn't good for Pronger.

Time will prove everything.

Lost in all this: is Chris Pronger officially finished? You'd think they'd have to be putting him on LTIR to make the numbers work and to even be hunting for a Weber at this point suggests the forecast wasn't good for Pronger.

I said this on Twitter earlier...Reading between the line, I definitely think Pronger's done. Kind of reminds me of when they realized Primeau was done and tried to sign a then-22 year old Phil Kessel to an offer sheet.

Though the Flyers won't say it, I don't think there's any chance he comes back. Sad.

The thing about the way the deal is loaded versus Nashville matching isn't relevant. Under the RFA rules Nashville has to match term and dollar value, but how they structure the deal is up to them. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nashville match and just backload the deal with the intent of trading him next season.

I didn't know that, I thought they had to match the contract exactly...

Still, it would be very hard to backload it that much. There's $13-14 million signing bonuses in the first four years of the contract.

But if you're right, I'd say the chances are pretty high that they trade him into our division, just to be dicks..

PS: Did anyone else see what they were allegedly asking the Flyers for in a trade? They wanted Schenn and Coutourier. WHAT?!?

PPS: The Flyers also offered Shane Doan a contract. Paul Holmgren is a wildman.

The thing about the way the deal is loaded versus Nashville matching isn't relevant. Under the RFA rules Nashville has to match term and dollar value, but how they structure the deal is up to them. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nashville match and just backload the deal with the intent of trading him next season.

They'll have a hard time trading him on a back loaded deal.

PS: Did anyone else see what they were allegedly asking the Flyers for in a trade? They wanted Schenn and Coutourier. WHAT?!?

You do realize that's a small price to pay for Weber, right? I can see why they would rather try the offer sheet, but the asking price should've easily been Coutour, Schenn, Plus.

They can only trade Weber to Philly. Philadelphia now owns either four picks or Shea Weber, Nashville owns the other. But Philadelphia did this before when they signed Chris Gratton to an offer sheet. At the end of the seven day deadline, Tampa sent the four picks back and got roster players from The Flyers.

Popular rumor going around town is that this is the last time Philadelphia fucks with the Canucks and that after The Flyers took away our shot at Shea and after the offer sheet to Ryan Kesler, it's time for us to send an offer sheet over to Philadelphia. The main question is whether to do it now and get Voracek, Or wait until next year to get Giroux.