NHL 13

Ruki

Maybe it's just the sliders I picked up from Operation Sports, but they seemed to be getting me fairly realistic results for the first three years of my franchise... anyways, it might just be the sliders, but has anyone else noticed that the CPU goalies in offline play are almost superhuman, while the player's goalie (in this case, mine) is a block of swiss cheese?

I didn't really care that much until recently. I had Joni Ortio starting for me in Abbotsford, and he would give up weak goals every other game. Some games, I would have 11 shots against and he would have allowed three or four goals. So I don't re-sign him in the off-season, and he winds up in San Antonio as their starter. I come up against him in back to back games. First game, 38 shots against him, 1 goal. Second game, 26 shots and no goals. My goalie? Just over half the shots faced and a total of 7 goals against over the two games.

So I started paying attention more to what kind of goals get scored. When I score, it has to be a beautiful passing play that takes the goalie way out of the net, or a deflection or screen. When the CPU scores on my goalie, they're weak shots from everywhere, or little wristers that should hit the pads and either get smothered or rebound off of them. They're often bad angle shots where my goalie is out of position. Not because he's just made a save or been deked out or had a passing play take him to the wrong side of the net... he's just, not in position to make the save.

I don't mind losing the game. I play as Calgary. I expect to lose a lot of games. What bothers me, is how cheap it feels. If I'm out-shooting the opponent 40-10, it should be because of a stellar once-in-awhile goaltending performance by the opposing goalie... or because my goalie just got beat on more shots. It shouldn't be because the opposing goalie is better by default... which is how it feels.

Play on Rookie, lots more fun.

I don't have that much fun playing 10-1 games all the time.

I'm mostly just frustrated because these exact sliders gave me good results for three years of game-time, and now all of a sudden it's impossible to score, and with that trouble comes the realization of how bad my goalies have been.

If I just had bad goalies, it would be fine. But they all become extremely solid when playing against me.

Play on Rookie, lots more fun.

I don't have that much fun playing 10-1 games all the time.

I'm mostly just frustrated because these exact sliders gave me good results for three years of game-time, and now all of a sudden it's impossible to score, and with that trouble comes the realization of how bad my goalies have been.

If I just had bad goalies, it would be fine. But they all become extremely solid when playing against me.

Won't be 10-1, your goalie will still give up stupid goals.

So I mostly sim my seasons and I ended up winning the Cup with the Leafs in the first year. That makes no sense. Especially since my lines weren't that much improved:

Lupul-O'Reilly-Kessel

JvR-Grabovski-Kulemin

MacArthur-Kadri-Hejduk

Komarov-McClement-Frattin

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf

Gardiner-Franson

Liles-Bryan Allen

Reimer

Scrivens

And that was before we got ravaged by injuries and a bunch of guys have had massive stats increases for this upcoming season. Should be fun.

I found that the sim engine is pretty terrible.

When I first get the game, as I update rosters I always run a test franchise to see how things turn out. Year 2 with Calgary, I win the cup with a team that I've dismantled for young players and picks. Year 3, with those players receiving stat upgrades and a couple of free agent signings (Corey Perry being the big one), I end up finishing 13th in the West.

It seems overly random, instead of relying on stats and attributes, like it should. I mean, there should always be an element of randomness in sports games, but it should be a three tier system. 1 - attributes. 2 - stats. 3 - chance.

• 1 month later...