Football Manager 2013

Lineker

1. Maybe Liverpool could be a good team to start with, they have a good squad and you can run for the title. Otherwise Spurs or Newcastle.

2. I think http://www.zonalmarking.net has the best tactical analysis I've seen, they have a glossary explaining possitions and terms taht can be unfamiliar to you, actually a lot of that terms are used more here in South America than in Europe but anyways, it should be a good approach into the tactics

So I bought FM2013 on Android, basically because I have a Nexus 7 and was intrigued (also because Eastside Hockey Manager no longer exists and isn't available at all tablet-wise). I'm not a huge football fan by any means, but I sued to play Premier Manager on the Mega Drive and Championship manager before it split in two. I've left recent ones alone because they're apparently ridiculously complex. Two questions:

1. Who are a good team to start with? I probably know most about Spurs and WBA since my brother and dad are fans, respectively. Basically, I want a bit of a challenge, enough to keep me interested but not frustrated as I try to pick up any new stuff I don't know about.

2. Are there any good sites for tactical information (preferably geared towards novices)? Again, I know a bit, but not enough to draw up my own tactics past making pretty symmetrical patterns >_>

Why they haven't released this for the Vita is beyond me. It's practically a killer app for the PSP over here.

Apparently they're "constantly monitoring" sales of the Vita. I'm hoping for FM14 to appear on the system.

I continued my FM2012 United game yesterday. I hadn't played in months, mostly because I had made an average start to the 2nd season, 10pts behind Arsenal.

My session yesterday included wins over Sunderland, QPR, Swansea, Everton and a 3-1 Manchester derby success. I'm now 6 behind Spurs at the halfway stage, but there's about 6 teams battling for top spot.

I won my CL group (lost at the group stage last time, won the Europa), and my last home game was an 8-0 win over Copenhagen.

Fuck Everton though. For two seasons running, I've lost at the quarters stage of the COC, at Goodison. I beat them in the league without a problem. I even played a strong team this time around. Booo.

At the end of the second season, I've just flogged Demba 'I think 9 goals in 2 seasons deserves a £100k a week pay packet' Ba to Stoke for £11.75m and bought in Abel Hernandez from Palermo for £500k less.

I thought that was going to be the transfer coup of the summer till league champions Spurs signed Mario Gotze for a quite ridiculous £15m. Welp.

Things are OK at New York Cosmos, although the side's a bit wobbly. I brought in Blair Gavin to to bolster my CM options. I'm slowly assembling the same team that I have in my Whitecaps game with Najar, Agudelo, Gavin and the eventual arrival of Gale Agbossoumonde. :shifty:

Heading in to the second leg of the CL semi final as Manchester City in my first season. Trailing Chelsea 2-3 but the second leg is at the Etihad so here's hoping. In my last CL game at home, I trumped the mighty Barcelona 5-1 in the Quarter Finals.

...and I lose 5-4 on aggregate thanks to Juan Mata banging in a goal at the death. Bloody Spanish. <_<

So after messing around with the Spurs save I brought across from the demo, I decided to create a new save and play the game "properly" as it were. No transfer budgets, automatic reputation, start unemployed. I find it delicious that SI-sponsored Wimbledon has an opening at the beginning of the game, and that's where I ended up. I'm getting attached to these lil' buggers. I love scouring the free transfer market and actually finding players you may end up using (:o) and I love trying to find loanees that are worth it from higher leagues, it's difficult as a League 2 club to find players that will slide into your first team but that are actually willing to go play League 2.

So far through four games I have Wimbledon on 3 wins and a draw. Go us :w00t:

Decided to finally have a proper crack at the MLS in FM 2012 and started with Toronto. DOn't really have a clue what I'm doing so I'm just going to wing it.

Had a quick raid of the Canadian teams younger talent and picked up a few decent players including a 15 year old who's definitely got serious potential. Made few other signings like Mauricio Alves as well as shipping my keeper Frei out to LA Galaxy for £250k and A.J DeLaGarza. This could be fun!

32zoq4o.jpg

Easy this management lark :)

Had the urge to play my United game as my QPR save has petered out into mid-table boredom. Somehow managed to win the Prem, FA Cup and Champions League despite losing Van Persie for 4 months, Bale for 5 and Rooney for 5 at various points in the season. Won the league, finishing 6 points clear of City. We led the way pretty much all season and, but for resting players in my last couple of games, we'd have won it by more. The FA Cup was a bit of a farce. Chelsea, Arsenal, City and Spurs all went out early on. We beat Bristol City, of all teams, in the final after a pretty easy run of games.

My Champions League adventure was an odd one. Finished second in the group after losing home and away to Benfica. We then drew Lille in the knockout stages while Benfica got Real Madrid. >_< Knocked out Chelsea in the quarter, winning the second leg 1-0 at Stamford Bridge, after drawing 2-2 at home. Smashed Bayern 5-0 away from home in the first leg of the semi final, then rested players in the home leg and lost 3-1. My team saved their best performance of the season for the final though. Went into it without Rooney, Bale and Hernandez (my top scorer) and had to start Kagawa despite him only just returning from a 6 week lay off. We created something like 8 clear cut chances and still dominated even after Rio had been sent off (for a handball on the half way line :angry: ). Might just be the best season I've ever had on an FM game - certainly the most enjoyable one I've had for a while. Finally managed to find a setup that gets the best out of my whole 11.

In non-United news, Liverpool finished 9th and sacked Brendan Rodgers, replacing him with Rafa Benitez and Harry Redknapp has gone to manage Inter after they finished second in Serie A to Juve. Arsenal beat Newcastle in the League Cup final to end their trophy-less streak. However, they only managed 6th in the league so no Champions League football for Arsenal. Surprise team of the season were Villa, who finished 4th ahead of Spurs and Stoke.

Really looking forward to my next season though. Got Llorente (who scored 46 goals this season) joining on a free transfer and the board have given me £44m to spend. Both Isco and Cabaye are transfer listed so gonna make them my main targets, along with a goalkeeper as Lindegaard is getting pissy at being second choice. Rio earned himself a years extension (with a 40k wage cut) but will probably offload the likes of Macheda and Valencia as they are also unhappy at not playing. I usually clear out my reserves in my second season too, and replace them with as many 16/17 year old prospects as I can find, already got 3 15 year olds with 5* potential.

I don't normally get too into United games but the ones I have played, on the last few versions of FM, have been relatively unsuccessful so I'm enjoying actually winning things at the moment. It's a nice game to have running alongside my QPR game anyhow.

What kind of Tactics are you playing with them? I play pretty much the same formation, but haven't had the greatest of starts. Probably because Im managing Burnley in the Prem xD

Everton got relegated in the third season of my East Fife game. What happened to them being super-powered?

Anyway, finished 6th in the First Division and brought in a bunch of new players this year. Again the media has us coming in 10th but we've started well with 2 wins and 2 draws and thumping every team we've played in the Cups so far including a 5-1 at Dunfermline. Clearly better than the media thinks. Wankers.

What kind of Tactics are you playing with them? I play pretty much the same formation, but haven't had the greatest of starts. Probably because Im managing Burnley in the Prem xD

I used to play the same formation with my AMR/AML playing as Wingers, but it seemed really inconsistent. I've since changed them to Inside Forwards and it seems much better. I play a reasonably slow, narrow game with quite a high line, so my team keeps the ball well.

To be honest my tactics might be utterly useless - Hard to tell when you're playing with a top side really. Though I have played loads of other tactics with United and this is by far the best I've done.

Edit - Didn't manage to sign Cabaye as Newcastle decided to remove him from the transfer list and slap a £54m price tag on him. So I picked up Dembele on the cheap and managed to get Isco for £17m. Llorente is a beast. Scored on his debut in a 2-1 community shield defeat to City, and again on his league debut against Newcastle.

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

Finally actually signed some new players for Chelsea in the summer of 2014: Ashley Cole's contract was left to expire because of his wage demands, so spent £26m bringing in David Alaba from Bayern. So as to also balance up my squad to two players per outfield position, I sold Sturridge (who was never getting a game anyway and one year's contract left) to Stoke for peanuts and brought in Isco for £17m from Malaga.

Chelsea 2014-15 Squad (for 4-2-3-1 narrow):

Cech

Courtois

Turnbull

Alaba

Bertrand

Terry

Luiz

Cahill

Romeu

Azpilicueta

Ivanovic

Lampard

De Bruyne

Mikel

Ramires

Hazard

Mata

Oscar

Moses

Isco

Marin

Torres

Lukaku

I keep plugging away at this game (inbetween BSC progress) for two reasons. One, to make me feel better with easy wins. :shifty: And two, to try and head towards the Steam achievements like "stay at one club for 5 years, 10 years...etc.".

One of these days I'll even get the double hat-trick, dammit.

Im playing a fast paced game now, and it seems to be working a bit. I have Defoe and a 5* potential Regen upfront that has Carroll-esque stats, so the goals should hopefully be coming in. The defence isnt that good though, which is where we need to improve soon. Butland in net though :D. I tried a slow paced game but then a number of losses, including an embarrasing 4-0 loss in the capital one cup to brentford, I don't think we have the best passers.

Edit: If I can I'll get a screenie of the Regen.

Edited by Millsybeast

Finished my first season with Toronto, now that I understand everything, I fucking love the MLS! Ended up 2nd in the Eastern Conference, 2 points behind Houston. Beat Philadelphia 3-0 on aggregate in the semi finals but lost rather comprehensively to Houston 3-0 in the Conference final.

Not to worry though, I had a really good season with a great home record coupled with a shit away record so there's room for improvement. Moved one of the Brazilian stars I signed the year before for a permanent international slot and got rid of Danny Koevermans too. He was average all season and wasn't worth the DP slot or the £15k a week. Have a 19 year old, seemingly Brazilian called Arthur Maia coming in to take his place, who also comes with a more affordable £5k a week wages. Really looking forward to the draft now because I have two 1st round picks. Can't wait for the 2nd season!