GA's Mega Glitch Art Fun-Thread!

GA!

Since no one hardly posts their graphics on here any more, I thought I may as well show off my array of glitch art. I like taking pre-existing images and destroying the file by adding/subtracting text to the raw code.

Here, I took the Sample Pictures on Windows 7 and fucked about with them until I got these:

8264043487_75d7b6eb80_z.jpg

8261710333_659ae65470_z.jpg

8261709549_f6d51b6391_z.jpg

8264043245_dd8c1a4d60_z.jpg

8270192818_2a019ccb64_z_d.jpg

8266728299_df014af8eb_z.jpg

8267796186_091bb61a8d_z.jpg

And there you go.

This is pretty cool. How do you go about doing this? Is it as simple as opening the file in notepad and resaving?

It is. You can open a .psd, .raw and .tiff in Notepad and it will show the raw code that makes up the picture. After you've played about with the text you can save it and then open it back up in Photoshop.

Sometimes the file refuses to open in Photoshop because it's destroyed so much, but there are websites where you can convert the image to a .jpg or .png successfully to see the result.

I love glitch art, this is awesome, man. Check out MaxCapacity's Tumblr, it's full of glitch art, from pictures, to video, to gifs.

The last one is my favorite, the jellyfish looks like it has smoke coming out of itself.

I have seen Max Capacity's website before. My main inspiration is the Rob Sheridan artwork for The Social Network: which can be seen here.

The jellyfish is my favourite too. Definitely a case of saving the best till last there.

• 4 weeks later...

So yeah, I experimented with this in GIMP because I thought this glitch art thing looked cool as hell. It is very much in the early stages because it seems that GIMP is useless for creating actual glitchy pictures and not just distorted colours and ruined images.

But some of them did turn out quite nice!

glitch_test_7_zps2fcc1887.png

glitch_test_8_zps4882644e.png

Some of them did not turn out very nice.

glitch_test_11_zpse2e83da5.png

I used "wordpadding" for these which is basically converting the image to BMP, altering around the code slightly, then saving and opening them up again with GIMP. As you can see, they are very much devoid of color because of the way the red, green and blue is coded. However, I also did some experiments with .psd files!

All of them pretty much turned out like this, though.

test_2_zps87e1a5a7.jpg

So what I deduce from this little experiment is that I really need Photoshop to do anything resembling what I have in my head (aka something akin to your pictures, GA) but since I don't have money or sufficient pirating capabilities I'll have to find some other solution for now.