Game Recording Stuffs

Millsybeast

Ok so a month ago I bought a Video Recorder/Camcorder so I could do stuff like record games etc. Basically I only just got it working fully today (grin.gif) and made a quick video of something. I want your honest opinions on what its like and how to improve etc. I know its a little lopsided and theres no sound because of an uninvited guest, but would the Video quality be good enough for something such as youtube?

Anyway since I dont know how to put it here, the link is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7ujzbfCQXE

Thanks.

For PC you are looking for "Fraps"

http://www.fraps.com/

I think you needs at least an i5 to get propper qualety recorded, but i never tried it myself.
I think for consoles you likely need extra hardware, but i am not shure since i have not used a non Apple PC in ages. Back in the day my Tower had a simple Video-In for the composide cables that alowed me to stream my PS2 footage on to my computer and alowed me to record it. Maybe a simple HDMI in is enough?

If you want to upload footage to YouTube for any reason other than... I dunno, showing a friend something or showing off something, I'd suggest getting a video capture card. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll pretty much just close the tab the second I see the footage is recorded from a video camera.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. I use Fraps for my pc and it's probably the best thing to use. But how much do Capture cards cost? Is there a cheaper one that still has quality? Because I can't afford £150-£200 like they say it costs.

Thanks for the input. I use Fraps for my pc and it's probably the best thing to use. But how much do Capture cards cost? Is there a cheaper one that still has quality? Because I can't afford £150-£200 like they say it costs.

£100 is pretty much the cheapest you're looking at, which is for a USB based capture card as opposed to something you'd connect to your PC. Like I said, if you're serious about this for some reason (making a gaming channel, trying to produce high quality content), then really, you'll want a video capture card. Recording with a cam isn't going to do it. But if you're just recording this to show your friends or something, I don't see the need for anything more than what you're doing now.

If you want to upload footage to YouTube for any reason other than... I dunno, showing a friend something or showing off something, I'd suggest getting a video capture card. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll pretty much just close the tab the second I see the footage is recorded from a video camera.

Basically this.

I bought this card http://www.amazon.ca/Roxio-Game-Capture-Xbox-360/dp/B004QMUIO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357868346&sr=8-1 (and can't figure out how to properly link anymore!) for a friend, she seems to like it. And the quality is pretty good too. Cheap as well!

No Problem :). And I went for the Roxio Capture Card, because it's fairly cheap and looks to do the business. Also I agree a LP thread would be cool too.

I've had the Roxio and you've got to be prepared to do a lot of editing and have huge amounts of space if you want HD files. I have the Hauppage now and while it costs more it's worth every cent for how much room it saves and the quality difference.

There's a bunch of cheaper ones out now though that are USB based and you just record straight to it then plug it into your computer.

I'm with Drags. Unless you are taking it seriously and have a background in broadcasting or are particularly witty/insightful/capable of reviewing in text I wouldn't bother. Loads of people seem to think it's an easy medium that allows them to just work on the fly and create the most awesome things ever. Whereas all they end up with is a bunch of mumbling nonsense that even their friends and family would struggle to sit through.

Plus the market is totally saturated and about to come crashing down. Reviewers will be safe, if you're just capturing yourself playing a game then you're wide open for a take down request as you have no rights to show the footage.

Only thing I still see as being open is a good tutorial range for your more complex games (how best to use the tech tree in civ v, how to pretty much do anything in Paradoxes more complex games etc).

• Like 1

I'm with Drags. Unless you are taking it seriously and have a background in broadcasting or are particularly witty/insightful/capable of reviewing in text I wouldn't bother. Loads of people seem to think it's an easy medium that allows them to just work on the fly and create the most awesome things ever. Whereas all they end up with is a bunch of mumbling nonsense that even their friends and family would struggle to sit through.

Plus the market is totally saturated and about to come crashing down. Reviewers will be safe, if you're just capturing yourself playing a game then you're wide open for a take down request as you have no rights to show the footage.

Only thing I still see as being open is a good tutorial range for your more complex games (how best to use the tech tree in civ v, how to pretty much do anything in Paradoxes more complex games etc).

There's nothing that solid on it yet, I think it's just a case of not being allowed to monetize your content without being part of a group or having express permission from the company. And there's also the case of games like Minecraft and FTL where it's in the TOS that you can record the content and upload it, even make money of it.

• Like 1

There doesn't need to be anything solid on it, it's no different to uploading a movie. Just because it's not being currently chased up by all companies doesn't mean it won't be.

I'm probably overly cynical since I admittedly don't 'get it' FTL and Minecraft are similar to old school RPGs that sort of rely on you building an extended narrative in your head so I can understand the point of them (or even games like X-Com) as your created narrative can be gripping and as such sells the game when done well so it's a win-win. But a play through of ME3 or Cod or any other linear type game is nothing more than watching a movie to me (and to the lawyers).

Except it is very much different to uploading a movie. You watch a movie someone's uploaded and that's it, content consumed. You can watch footage from the game, but you haven't played it yourself. There's still incentive to purchase.

In fact, from what I've seen a lot of these let's play type things are inspiring purchases, like someone will come into the shop and buy something because they've seen what the game is like, perhaps they're getting a better feel for how the game plays than you could get from your typical trailer.

I know quite a few people who buy games based off what the see on Youtube.

A trailer doesn't really show you the game, half the time it's cinematic and nothing like the game, so you definitely get the feel of the game by watching playthroughs.

I guess it depends on the game. Dear Esther articles are always full of 'just watch it on Youtube and save money' comments.

It depends on why people play games, for something like Uncharted, the game play exists solely to get me to the next cinematic. Watching someone else play would be as good as playing it myself. Most games AAA titles seem to be focused least upon game-play.

I don't think anyone has an issue with spoiler free or first level type walk throughs. I mean Cynical Brit has a whole series based on reviewing based on first impressions and often plays the first 20-40 minutes. That's not what I'm saying will cause issues or should be banned. I'm saying 'now let's all watch me play Infamous from start to finish so you don't have to' is the issue (and there are plenty of videos on Youtube of just that sort of thing).

But we're getting further and further from my main point which is that 99.99% of shit I've seen on Youtube set up by random game players is of a lower quality than asking a mate who is in the room playing the game to discuss it with you.

I've been considering doing some LPs for some old ass games, does this pose any sort of problem in terms of video capture?

I guess it depends on how old you mean, if it's an early 90s ms dos game emulated through DOSBOX then you could probably get away with just using fraps, given that your processor will have no problem running the game and the fraps program at once. The bonus is that you probably won't need smooth capturing (like say, 60 frames a second) because the only sudden changes are the text boxes which are displayed in full anyway.

Later games are trickier because you'll be trying to find the sweet spot between resource hogging game and resource hogging capturing software.

I'm guessing on a mid range pc you could get away with anything up to Windows 95/Nintendo 64 emulated games just using fraps alone, anything else might be pushing it, but it basically boils down to trial and error.