2013 College Football Thread

HailtotheYo

I despise Florida State and I hate the idea of having to listen to everyone crow about the SEC for another whole year, but I'm actually looking forward to the National Championship. Should be a hell of a game. Florida State wins it, though.

Yeah, well you're a doody head :angry:

I get why people do, but I also think people should take a loot at the program again. Jimbo is quite different and is running a much different/tighter ship. It's like me with Miami. I hate them based solely on the fact they're rivals, but I don't despise them and think they're trash at the moment due to the changes in the program. Ditto Florida.

Ok, the initial thoughts on the NON BCS bowl lineup:

Las Vegas - Very intriguing. Fresno/USC matching up and this could end up being one of the best games of the bowls. USC is hit or miss, and Fresno isn't quite the complete team they've been in the past, but if they just pin their ears back and let it all fly on both sides of the ball ...

FIP - Buffalo lost to the 4 best teams on its schedule, and San Diego St beat 1 of the 4 best, but lost to an FCS school Buffalo did better against their common opponent (Ohio State) but both got beat soundly. Buffalo's defense could make this a very fun watch ...

Hawaii - There could end up being 1000 points in this one because Org St and Boise St simply don't play defense ... video gamer dream on paper ...

Fight Hunger - BYU/Wash is an old school match up and there should be a ton of yards ...

Russell - Miami/Louisville has all the makings, IF Miami shows up ...

Advocare - BC and Arizona. I'm going to be glued to this as a former RB.

Chick Fil A - Come on, a 10 win Duke team ? Oh, and they're playing A&M ? Uh yeah ...

Cotton - This should be a fantastic game. Both teams were so close to such bigger things. Mizzou just missing a NT game most likely, and OK St in the BCS ? .... yeah they'll both be pretty pissed. I might actually make the trip.

The BCS Bowls ? Meh.

Bama/OK is great on paper and great in pretty much any decade .... except this one.

Baylor/UCF ... it's like Boise St/TCU all over again. Wish they'd be playing other people instead of each other.

Ohio St/Clemson is something I should be more excited for, but I have a feeling that Urban is going to right the ship and Clemson might get rolled.

Stanford/Mich St looks great and hopefully is great ... I just get the feeling that one of them might be overbearing and the other might have a bad day to make it lopsided.

Wisconsin/SC is the one I'm looking most forward to simply because it'll be another RB dream.

I love that the Cotton Bowl feels like a big game again. There for a while it was just another bowl and got lost in the shuffle. But between last years game, this year's game, and it being a part of the College Football Playoff, it's exciting to see it as one of the premier games again.

• Like 1

It was a great decision to move it to Jerryworld. And on top of that Jerry is invested in making it as big a deal as he can.

Growing up the Cotton Bowl rarely, if ever, felt like a big deal. Citrus, Gator, and Outback were all bigger deals most years. Now if we can get the Holiday Bowl back as one of the top bowl games in the country I'll be set.

It was a great decision to move it to Jerryworld. And on top of that Jerry is invested in making it as big a deal as he can.

Growing up the Cotton Bowl rarely, if ever, felt like a big deal. Citrus, Gator, and Outback were all bigger deals most years. Now if we can get the Holiday Bowl back as one of the top bowl games in the country I'll be set.

How old are you ? Curious with the Cotton Bowl remark. It was really only about 03-08 that it really wasn't much more than a decent game between two schools that just came up short on expectations. Before then it was huge, even with the BCS games coming into the fold. Recently it's come back, as you noted.

I do agree that the Citrus Bowl was phenomenal though,

Ah well, depending on how into it you were as a literal kid (not being rude here) that would skew the perception. I grew up with it as my dad was an Aggie. I was walking around Kyle Field at 5yrs old. I had a bit of a sense of what was going on. Up until the Southwest Conference gave up the game (due to dissolving and transferring the bowl ties to the Big 12) the game was huge. The Bowl Alliance and transition to the Big 12 kind of screwed it and that's when the Fiesta leap frogged it. But up until then, holy shit. From 1977-1994 only twice was there a team ranked higher than 13th (an unranked Houston team that pulled of a shock conference title, and 16th ranked Auburn that featured Bo f'n Jackson). Hell it had a run of 3 out of 4 years featuring the Heisman winner (85-88). Seriously, take a gander at the match up history http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_Bowl_Classic

With that 1996 Citrus Bowl being one of the first you remember being really excited for, it seems that you quite literally just missed the window for the Cotton Bowl.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/ballots/coaches/2013/?fullsite=true

The final coach's poll is revealed. Has the Top-25 as voted on by the coaches. Pretty interesting and it's funny to see how coach's with an agenda voted.

Dantonio voted his Michigan State squad #2 and I know for a fact I saw one more coach vote them #2 as well, though I can't remember who it was.

Rod Carey voted NIU 13th. Hahahahaha

Also, Dana Holgorsen had Sparty at #2 as well.

Jimbo putting Rice @ 19 !!!!!! Awesome !

A man after your own heart?

Or has he already won it?

He was dreamy before he got there ... but now ? Oh mama, like butter.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10111560/heisman-trophy-finalists-jordan-lynch-johnny-manziel-tre-mason-aj-mccarron-andre-williams-jameis-winston

Finalists for that trophy people care about.

Bowling Green HC Clawson is taking the job at Wake Forest.

It's so funny. On the Notre Dame board I frequent, they are posting links to topics on an Alabama board where people are saying "Saban said he's not going anywhere, so he's not going anywhere. I have no idea why everyone else in the country thinks this is possible when he's told us all he's staying."

And then an LSU fan posted a story from when he said he wasn't interested in the NFL and wouldn't leave LSU. And then a Miami fan hopped on and posted a link of the story of him saying he wasn't leaving Miami for Alabama. Wonderful.

I couldn't tell you if he's leaving or not, but it's kinda funny seeing people so willing to trust Saban's word when he (and Hell, any coach) will say what they need to keep their program from falling apart while they're still there. I mean, what was Saban suppose to say mid-season, while his team was #1 in the country? "Yeah, I'll be leaving after this season because Texas will double my salary."