2013 College Football Thread

HailtotheYo

Ugh.

So earlier this week, Stephon Tuitt announced he was leaving a year early for the draft. Ok, I understand that. He received a 2nd-Round level grade from the NFL Draft Board. But Kiper and McShay are saying he's still a first round pick. I can understand this.

George Atkinson III announced that he'd be going in the draft. We have a nice stable of running backs. He never developed the way all Irish fans hoped. He received a 4th-6th round grading. Based on what, I don't know. Because he didn't even carry the ball 100 times this year. He has speed, but he doesn't know how to hit the hole. Plus he always runs upright, and if he even makes a practice squad, someone is going to light him up. As far as I'm concerned, no big loss.

But now Troy Niklas, our 6'7" 270 lbs. tight end declared for the draft. The kid that said on Monday that he was 90% sure he was coming back next year. The kid that has 36 CAREER catches. The kid who has only played tight end for two years. Now don't get me wrong, he has the size, speed, and hands for the next level. But he is still not all that as a blocker. In college he's able to simply overpower kids smaller than him. I think he'd been a 1st or 2nd round pick had he come back for another year. But now? Maybe someone will take a chance on him in the fifth round? Again, he's only been a tight end for two years. I wouldn't be anywhere near as aggravated if he didn't go on and on about how he was "90% sure" he'd be back at Notre Dame.

I suppose this is something I need to get use to if the Irish are going to be a consistently good team. But it doesn't mean it sucks any less.

Ugh.

So earlier this week, Stephon Tuitt announced he was leaving a year early for the draft. Ok, I understand that. He received a 2nd-Round level grade from the NFL Draft Board. But Kiper and McShay are saying he's still a first round pick. I can understand this.

George Atkinson III announced that he'd be going in the draft. We have a nice stable of running backs. He never developed the way all Irish fans hoped. He received a 4th-6th round grading. Based on what, I don't know. Because he didn't even carry the ball 100 times this year. He has speed, but he doesn't know how to hit the hole. Plus he always runs upright, and if he even makes a practice squad, someone is going to light him up. As far as I'm concerned, no big loss.

But now Troy Niklas, our 6'7" 270 lbs. tight end declared for the draft. The kid that said on Monday that he was 90% sure he was coming back next year. The kid that has 36 CAREER catches. The kid who has only played tight end for two years. Now don't get me wrong, he has the size, speed, and hands for the next level. But he is still not all that as a blocker. In college he's able to simply overpower kids smaller than him. I think he'd been a 1st or 2nd round pick had he come back for another year. But now? Maybe someone will take a chance on him in the fifth round? Again, he's only been a tight end for two years. I wouldn't be anywhere near as aggravated if he didn't go on and on about how he was "90% sure" he'd be back at Notre Dame.

I suppose this is something I need to get use to if the Irish are going to be a consistently good team. But it doesn't mean it sucks any less.

It's not just Notre Dame though...it's all around college (record number of underclassmen each year). It's due to the rookie wage scale. There is no reason for players to go back to school to try to earn a bigger signing bonus anymore (especially with an injury risk), the goal now is to get to the NFL and get your 2nd contract ASAP.

Yeah, I know. I'm just spoiled as a Notre Dame fan. While other schools have been winning championships, we've at least been able to point to our near-perfect graduation rate and be proud of that. I guess it comes with the territory. No one left early when Willingham was recruiting two-stars. Now that Kelly is bringing in four and five-stars, I suppose it's only a natural progression.

A-State defensive lineman Markel Owens killed

Markel Owens, a defensive lineman, was killed in his hometown of Jackson, Tenn., Wednesday night.

Police responded to a triple shooting that left one other person dead and another injured in north Jackson around 9:30 Wednesday night.

Owens began playing for Arkansas State in 2010, when he redshirted and played on the scout team.

He recently competed in the GoDaddy Bowl in which Arkansas State defeated Ball State 20-23.

Not many more details than that out right now.