2013 Summer Transfer Thread

Love this line from F365

It's not a good day for Liverpool fans. It seems that they have missed out on Shakhtar midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan, who for some reason decided that Champions League finalists Borussia Dortmund are a more attractive prospect than seventh-placed Liverpool.

I can see Liverpool getting 35 - 40 for Suarez, if they decide to accept it. Personally I hope he stays, 1 because he makes the Premier League more exciting and 2 because I want to see what happens. He doesn't strike me as the sort to just get on with his job professionally when he wants to leave.

You cannot keep an unhappy player at your club. If he wants out of England, he will force it through eventually.

Funny that, because just a matter of days ago you were claiming Benteke would be forced to stay unless somebody offered £30m regardless if he wants to leave.

• Like 3

A centre midfield partnership of Paulinho and Sandro is an exciting prospect if you're a Spurs fan. Good signing, now you just need to sign a striker.

• Like 1

RVP was worth every penny. 29 or not. He single handedly tipped the title race back to United. There will be a lot of money that comes with that, and he's still got a few years left in him, he probably sold a shit load of merchandise, too. Not everyone needs to have a resell value if they deliver their worth - and his impact on the team will probably recoup that 24 million, anyway.

Suarez has said he wants out - I just can't see you getting 50 million for someone who wants to go. The longer the window goes on, maybe you're more likely to get something for him, but I get the feeling Rodgers would rather have the money to spend early on. Maybe I'm wrong. But there are a few risks with Suarez, his personality being one, the guy's missed over twenty games worth in suspension. That's a substantially risky statistic when looking to buy someone, and I'm sure that will knock his price down.

And you can do plenty with 35-40 million.

Well, as long as you don't spunk it on someone like Andy Carroll. :shifty:

• Like 2

Suarez has said he wants out - I just can't see you getting 50 million for someone who wants to go. The longer the window goes on, maybe you're more likely to get something for him, but I get the feeling Rodgers would rather have the money to spend early on. Maybe I'm wrong. But there are a few risks with Suarez, his personality being one, the guy's missed over twenty games worth in suspension. That's a substantially risky statistic when looking to buy someone, and I'm sure that will knock his price down.

Not if Madrid play their usual game. The standard Madrid transfer tactic is to noise up the player, try to get him to spit the dummy and refuse to play, so they can swoop in near deadline day and pick him up cheaply (all while reminding the world what a classy club they are).

I'm fairly certain that Suarez would play his part in those shenanigans, so the question is whether Liverpool's board have the stones to say no to a fee of around £30m for a player who would refuse to play if he is made to stay, and let him rot for the remainder of his contract. Moneyball/Soccernomics says they won't.

You cannot keep an unhappy player at your club. If he wants out of England, he will force it through eventually.

Funny that, because just a matter of days ago you were claiming Benteke would be forced to stay unless somebody offered £30m regardless if he wants to leave.

Benteke hasn't openly come out and said he wants to leave though. There is a difference. And you mentioned before how we would need to buy a replacement for him should he leave hence why we have asked for £25m plus. Anything less and we will be screwing ourselves.

Yeah, but you have been denying the fact that Benteke would leave if he said he wanted to go, because Lambert would play hard ball like he did with Bent.

It's a silly argument anyway.

I hope Suarez goes. He's incredible to watch as a footballer, but I've had enough of him as a person, and I think the Premier League's better off without him.

Liverpool fans, if Suarez does go, who have you been linked with as a replacement?

Benteke hasn't openly come out and said he wants to leave though. There is a difference. And you mentioned before how we would need to buy a replacement for him should he leave hence why we have asked for £25m plus. Anything less and we will be screwing ourselves.

Why are you just reiterating my point as an argument against it?

And Jimmy... you've just said we won't get £50m for a player that wants to leave, but months ago you said the plus side to Bale handing in a transfer request would be getting £100m for him.

STOP BEING HYPOCRITES.

I'm not even gonna bother mentioning the 100 million stuff :lol: I didn't mean it like that at time, I never believed 100 million was gonna be a thing, just something articles were throwing about.

I'm sure if Bale wanted to leave, he'd probably go. I mean, we've had a history of playing hard ball before with players - as we kept Modric on for a year after he made it very clear he wanted to leave. I think Bale & Suarez are very different cases there's no point comparing. If Bale wanted to go, I'm sure we'd get less than what we wanted. You can never underestimate how tight ol' Levy is with his money, though. :P

ps Bale would go for more than Suarez cos Bale is amazing!!! and Suarez suxxxx!!!!! :) :)

• Like 1

Yeah, but you have been denying the fact that Benteke would leave if he said he wanted to go, because Lambert would play hard ball like he did with Bent.

It's a silly argument anyway.

I hope Suarez goes. He's incredible to watch as a footballer, but I've had enough of him as a person, and I think the Premier League's better off without him.

Liverpool fans, if Suarez does go, who have you been linked with as a replacement?

I used a hypothetical situation in regards to Benteke. It was more of a stance as to what Lambert does rather than the above situation occurring.

From whats been said/not been said by Benteke so far, all indications are he is happy at Villa so i agree it's a silly argument. It's different with Suarez as he has said everyone and his dog is against him and he wants out. Benteke will go eventually, have no qualms on that, but it will be the right deal for the club and for the player on both sides. With Suarez it'll be a loss, in my opinion, on Liverpools side.

Or a gain as he will be another clubs problem.

I'm not even gonna bother mentioning the 100 million stuff :lol: I didn't mean it like that at time, I never believed 100 million was gonna be a thing, just something articles were throwing about.

I'm sure if Bale wanted to leave, he'd probably go. I mean, we've had a history of playing hard ball before with players - as we kept Modric on for a year after he made it very clear he wanted to leave. I think Bale & Suarez are very different cases there's no point comparing. If Bale wanted to go, I'm sure we'd get less than what we wanted. You can never underestimate how tight ol' Levy is with his money, though. :P

ps Bale would go for more than Suarez cos Bale is amazing!!! and Suarez suxxxx!!!!! :) :)

Also, yep. Definitely said he'd go for asking price.

Right on.

Right on.

Okay, I'll bite. Realistically, how much do you see Bale going for?

Right on.

Okay, I'll bite. Realistically, how much do you see Bale going for?

I don't really want to get into the comparisons, because it's stupid - it brings up the discussion of what people are worth, comparisons of statistics and that, and this thread ends up getting clogged up with shit. No matter what answer I give, you'll only end up comparing it to Suarez which will just lead us to having a mind numbingly dumb/boring disagreement.

Suarez is miles better than Bale though. Scores more goals and dives less.

But Bale certainly scores some nice goals. :P

2ArH2.gif

• Like 5