PES 2014

Out of interest - if PES is so much better than FIFA, JP, how comes it gets tonked year after year in terms of the aggregated review scores?

I get that personal preference is personal preference, but perceived wisdom is also perceived wisdom. When the majority constantly feels one way........

• Like 1

Out of interest - if PES is so much better than FIFA, JP, how comes it gets tonked year after year in terms of the aggregated review scores?

I get that personal preference is personal preference, but perceived wisdom is also perceived wisdom. When the majority constantly feels one way........

It doesn't exactly get tonked. Fifa could release the exact same game every single year and the same places would still give it the same old scores. '14 will get highly rated despite not being all that different to '13, that's just how it goes.

I'm talking gameplay though. Fifa clearly has things over Konami, but ultimately what matters to me is the gameplay and PES provides the much better game play in my opinion. I'd love to go out and buy Fifa, nothing what so ever against it, the main aspects just don't hold up for me though. Like I said before, offline is where you start to see how EA are putting in nowhere near the effort they should be in terms of AI, teams playing differently etc etc.

Either way it's the same old argument which ultimately does come down to preference. More people will always disagree with the idea that PES is the better game though than vice versa. I'm not overly fussed, the aim should always be for two great football games.

It doesn't exactly get tonked. Fifa could release the exact same game every single year and the same places would still give it the same old scores. '14 will get highly rated despite not being all that different to '13, that's just how it goes.

I don't know, I remember FIFA getting some pretty crappy reviews before they lifted Pro Evos controls and swapped shoot and long pass around.

Plus I had a few friends who knew it was crap but didn't want to "play with Oranjes 11" instead. Now they recognise it as having strong gameplay too.

If you play 10 games on PES against the AI, you'll notice the variety in the goals you score compared to Fifa, and that's what I love. Fifa's AI is so rigid, and you'll only beat it on the highest difficulty by using the same one or two tactics.

And talking of EA's lack of effort again, in the very first demo video I watched, two attackers raced away from the defence and it became a mini game between them and the keeper for a drag back goal. In those situations the defenders refuse to track. It's been the same online too for years. Squaring for a fellow striker to tap in does happen, but not every game, and sometimes 3 or 4 times a game, as is the case in Fifa.