PES 2014

Ugh. To be honest I've always preferred PES over FIFA for the gameplay alone. It's never bothered me that PES hasn't had licenses or the presentation has looked like shit. But now that there are two perfectly good football games out there, the fact that Konami aren't even moving forwards with regards to licensing/presentation might be enough to tip me towards FIFA for this year. Master League has grown extremely stale as a game mode, and is now far inferior to FIFA's career mode. That, and the fact that FIFA 13 was infinitely harder than its PES equivalent are another two major issues I have with PES.

All things considered, could be FIFA this year for me.

The stadium editor is out because of EA. They're continuing to do everything in their power to stop Konami from improving in that area as well as the licensing area of things. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Rain issue is a different matter. The excuse was beyond ridiculous. It'll be back in the next release on the new consoles, but it's still pretty pathetic to not have implemented it into the game here.

Still, looking and sounding like a quality game. Just over two weeks until it's out :w00t:

The stadium editor is out because of EA. They're continuing to do everything in their power to stop Konami from improving in that area as well as the licensing area of things.

Quite right. If Konami are too slow or can't be bothered to sign license deals they deserve to suffer for it. EA have just been doing what they have to do to make their game better.

Mode list revealed;

Exhibition

Online Ranking Match

Online Free Match Lobby

Team Play Lobby

Exhibition Watch Mode

Football Life

Master League

Master League Online

Become a Legend

Competition

UEFA Champions League

UEFA Europa League

Copa Libertadores

AFC Champions League

Cup

Competition Online

League

Training

Free Training

Performance Training

Edit

Stats & Info

Online Options

Options

My PES/WE

--------

It says something when, in a 2014 game, you have to breathe a sigh of relief when you see that a league mode is included.

Just tried the demo. Where's the off the ball controls gone?

You have to hold LB/L1 now and use the right stick. Can do it as assisted or manual still.

It's out early on 360. Got it a couple of hours ago and had a few games, haven't had much chance to really get stuck into it though. Feels really different to last year, ballsy move changing it up so much. Early impressions are that I'll probably love this. Hate that they've gone down the Fifa route though and give us such short game length. Will give it a proper go tomorrow.

Thanks Jonny.

See, I've always preferred the PES Goalkeepers. They do let a few too many easier shots in, but on FIFA there's certain angles/situations you just don't bother shooting from as you know the GK will save it, the same way, every time.

From what I played of the demo, I enjoyed it. Found it hard to defend, and the AI seem to play more defence splitting through balls now. My defenders also seemed too high up the pitch, but I didn't edit the positions on the pitch at all.

Game Plan is far too slow and unresponsive.

Another thing to note, is that it feels 100x less arcadey than ever.

• 2 weeks later...