Troy

Numbahs

*THIS WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS THAT ANYONE WHO IS IN HIGH SCHOOL PROBABLY KNOWS FROM REQUIRED TEACHING*

Sorry about not starting this when I brought it up....I've had problems with getting the board to work on my computer. It took me at least 7-10 minutes to navigate one page here over the weekend.

Okay. I hated Troy.....well, not "hated". A little more like "felt like slapping everyone involved". I'll just make a whole list here of small things that tickled me about the flick. This isn't everything, but it's a start for discussion with all you guys that really loved it.

========

1. I'm gonna come out swinging with the biggest complaint about the movie. There is no clear line telling you who to cheer/jeer etc...and when I say no clear line, I mean no line at all. The only person that is presented as a "good guy" is Hector. Too bad he gets fed to "The Tweener Superman" Brad Pitt. How are we supposed to feel about Achilles anyway? One minute he's a prick, the next he's being nice to a female from the other side.....then he proceeds to kill the only guy you're rooting for at all. He finishes it all up by dying in a "Good Guy Main Character" death sequence(complete with the music). I'll bash his character for now, but I'll be back on him in a while when I talk about the only two scenes I liked in the whole movie.

2. The acting is stiffer than my penis at a strip club. Now that's not the fault of the actors(except for Orlando Bloom, who now rivals Keanu Reeves in coma-inducing acting parts) because of the horrid script.

3. The action scenes aren't that great. Most of the war stuff is a big orgy of mass confusion and chaos. It tried to be LOTR in this department and failed.

4. The Kung Pow close-up sequence that managed to focus in on just about every character introduced in the flick so far that wasn't going to be fighting(complete with music). I'll have to admit that this part in the movie had me laughing for a full 5 minutes. Yes, I got looks from people.

There's more....

========

But I did like a couple things....

1. Nathan Jones died.

2. The fight between The Hulk and Tyler Durden had some pretty cool little moves in it. Namely the part where one of them dodged a sword strike by lifting his leg up.

3. The scene where the leader of Troy sneaks down to Brad Pitt's tent and requests his son's body was fantastic.

So, those are some of my thoughts. As the Human Torch would say....Flame on.

*1/2 or (3.5/10)

:(  I was hoping for good.  I don't know I love Greek Mythology so I should love this movie.  I hope.

That's another thing I meant to bring up. The movie has no real sense of whether it wants to be mythology or something real. Brad Pitt's character is the prime example of that.

Guest TheTokenWhiteGuy

(except for Orlando Bloom, who now rivals Keanu Reeves in coma-inducing acting parts)

That is so true. But i was hoping that Troy would be a good war movie like Braveheart or something, damn, but i'll have to decide that when i go see it sometime in the future.

First of all the reason Achilles was like that, never knowing if he was "good" or "bad" if because that is how Homer writes about him in the book. He was a jerk that was arrogant, but still a good fighter. I will agree the way they did the movie kind of sucked, but if they made every detail of the epic poem the Iliad the movie would be very long. I personally liked the battle scenes but they weren't the best and yes they were very fast paced.

Oh and yes Nathan Jones dieing is a plus side to things :D

EDIT: Yes Orlando Bloom is a very overrated actor who I think is gay

Edited by austin

In my opinion, the acting was mixed. Eric Banna, Sean Bean, the old guys and the 3 ladies played their roles well. Bloom was alright, not his best though. And Pitt just didn't fit the role in my opinion. The fact that we didn't know who to "cheer" for I didn't mind, though I guess we were supposed to go for the Trojans, as they had more "main" characters, and the Greek soldiers were protrayed as pricks (with the cousin and all). I agree with you on the action scenes not being that great, and that they could have added something extra to them. And, although this would have been hard to do, as they would have most likely had to bring in some more actors to replace some of the characters, but the actual war went on for years, and in the movie it went for about 15 days.

Guest seattlebandfan9

I didn't like Troy either. Many of the same reasons.

However, do go see the movie if you want to see Orlando Bloom or Brad Pitt naked. Those shots were completely ludcaris, and you know what I'm talking about.

I didn't like Troy either. Many of the same reasons.

However, do go see the movie if you want to see Orlando Bloom or Brad Pitt naked. Those shots were completely ludcaris, and you know what I'm talking about.

...or that woman who plays Helen. They cop-out on that one too....unless my showing was misframed.

I went to see it today. I thought that battle sense were to choppy and to mass of orgyish and needed it to have more blood. More braveheartish. Need some boobs. Needed to make more mean Greeks.

Th only thing that I really loved was how they mentioned that the horse was a blessing to Posedion. It got me thinking about how instead of the whole not thanking him thing Posedion punished Odessyess for using him as a trick to get the horse inside Troy.

6 out of 10

Van Helsing was only 3 out of 10

Guest Snyper

I loved the movie, the acting was a tad stiff at points (aka when brad pitt tried to cry he sounded like a choking hyena) but all in all it was a fantastic movie.

I really want to see this movie, I read the book for my exams last year and there are some decent actors in it. Eric Bana was really good in Chopper and Brad Pitt has been good in practically every movie he's been in. I think he gets quite a hard time for being good looking, but above that he's a pretty damn good actor. See Fight Club, Seven, 12 Monkeys. Oh and Sinbad. *shifty*

It was ok....tried too hard to be a classic. Oh and Eric Bana rocks!! That one on one fight scene with Bradd Pitt was amazing. Another complaint was that the music was really repetitive.

Edited by Laice_

I thought this movie was pretty good. I don't think you can call the whole "who were we supposed to cheer for" thing bad. I think that was the whole real point of the movie. Unlike other films like LOTR or Braveheart, there was no big evil force that everyone hated.

I think it was much better this way, because you could decide who you wanted. When Hector and Achilles were fighting, I was rooting for Achilles. But if he had been portrayed as this really evil character, then this wouldn't have been the case.

Bloom was complete shit as usual. How this guy still gets roles in big movies is beyond me. He is stiff and....well, generally just shit. I thought Pitt and Bana were both good and Sean Bean was great as usual.

This movie is never going to be held as the greatest movie ever, but I still thought it was pretty good, and the action scenes were alot better than you say. Definitley higher than 3.5/10