Europa Universalis IV

METALMAN

So this has snuck up on me quite quietly. Coming out in August!

EU3 was always my favourite of the Paradox titles, especially after it was tweaked to perfection by the first three expansions. I'll be interested to give this one a go.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?629770-Europa-Universalis-IV-Development-Diaries-Archive

• Like 1

Did they ever fix France being completely dominant in EU3? Hearing that ALL the damn time put me off it.

There are a bunch of mods that depowers France a little bit, making it a bit more fractured and a bit harder to unite the lands and became a massive unstoppable blob of wine and cheese.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anybody picked this up yet? I didn't love EU3, so I'm reluctant to throw $40 at this. But I love the time period and I want something a little more in depth than Civ V.

• 4 years later...

*massive thread bump*

On 8/16/2013 at 13:45, stokerino said:

I'm not getting it purely because I want fewer games to waste my time on and distract me from writing/reading/other things, not more. :(

Oh, Me From The Past. You're so high-minded and ambitious. And naive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, metalman said:

I only actually started playing it this year, even though I started the thread. I like it, but I don't have a bloody clue what the trade system is about. 

Pretty much in an identical boat.

Currently playing as the Commonwealth and trying to dismantle the HRE for lolz (also because I don't want to fight the Ottomans who have 150k troops more than I do). Annoyingly, Bohemia are allied with the Ottomans. Gits.

I was looking into the trade system stuff. I like how threads about it go through tons of 'OK so you want to make sure your trade city is in a downward node and carefully place your merchants in a network to transfer your trade power' and ends with 'or you could just conquer a shit ton of high value provinces which achieves the same thing but much more easily'

Poor Portugal. I'm sure that when they decided to intervene on my behalf in the giant clusterfuck of a war I'd accidentally caused for myself (against Austria, Britain, Spain, etc...), they hadn't thought I was just going to sell all their provinces off to Spain to buy my way out of the peace deal. :shifty:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Yes I'm going to bump this non-thread. What of it?

This has got to be the absolute stupidest peace deal I have ever seen an AI concoct:

Milan.png

"Yes, we started a war to fight for our own independence. Yes, we were winning by a wide margin. You know what's better than independence, though? Taking some cash off our overlord instead. Which we only get maybe 20 ducats of. And we'll take 10% of said overlord's monthly income...even though, by remaining his vassal, he's getting 50% of our income anyway."

tenor.gif?itemid=5236931